Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel question.

RedBull

Reaction score
Shipping weight is actually 9292# so that's no water at all, no propane, no anything. 2300# can be a lot of stuff but it adds quickly and where it is loaded, fore or aft, can obviously affect the pin weight. The proof would be to weight it before you put anything on it, then weigh it again when you're all loaded for a trip.
IMG_6466.jpeg

PRS

Reaction score
That's great to have that sticker info. Depending on where the individual tanks are, you can use fresh water load to affect your pin weight. Like in ours the fresh water is aft and the others are forward so I tend to carry more fresh water to reduce the pin weight. The grey and black are forward though so as we use fresh and accumulate grey/black the weight will move forward, so we try to travel with empty grey/black all the time. My guess is you will be fine. Just keep in mind how you're loading things.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It is actually 9500lbs dry, my concern is that If we start taking gear and other stuff with us I may hit that max GVWR fairly quick. My kids are 4 and 8. They don't require much stuff to bring along yet, but they will grow and sooner or later they will want to bring some more stuff with them like bikes, trikes you name it.... I'm sure the HEMI would pull it just fine, but if something happens and they will find out that I was overweight I will be screwed.
Load the back of the trailer past the axles hang the bikes on the back of the trailer the more at the back the less on the pin. IDK where you are but here they dont bother rvs anyway the truck can handle it just let it rip

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My GDRV 303RLS is about that same weight (11995 GVWR).

My pin weight is 2040-2140 wet depending on beer load out in the front basement. Fresh water is aft of axle and we usually run with 1/3-1/2 tank. Never run with grey/black tanks (fore) full.

My truck payload is 3707 and with about 500 lbs total in the bed (toolbox/gear/genset/hitch) and all my other stuff loaded I still have 850lbs payload available.

You'll be fine as long as you don't exceed your RAWR.

P.S. If that trailer has cheap chicom tires on it do yourself a huge favor and get a set of Goodyear Endurance tires. Sell the chicoms to offset the cost.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
You're right, but I actually don't own any trailer yet, just thinking ahead of the game lol...
So many options out there and so many things to consider, I didn't think that buying a camper will be so difficult.
Huge learning curve for RV. It really fairly simple.

Published max trailer weights mean nothing. Payload/axle ratings mean everything. Tires rated for axle ratings.

Published trailer tongue and pin weights mean nothing. Plan on 12-15% tongue weight, or 20-25% pin weight, based on trailer GVWR.

Murph

Reaction score
Endorsing RV Goose's comment about making sure the truck is up to the task and more is better. Also think about a diesel for economy. I have a long box so this time so I didn't have to be concerned with cab clearance and still have lots of room for equipment in the bed.

rossagge

Reaction score
Sometimes the wife makes things harder lol, you still have the swing of the hitch so you don't end up with any extra storage in my experience but it is nice not having a heavy air rider hitch to deal with like mine
Geez! Haha. I'm talking about the space the hitch takes up in the bed if it remains in. To cumbersome to remove and install frequently. Those ball just pops in and out. Very convenient for me.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread