Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel question.

RedBull

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie but I've been lurking on here for a while, very nice and informative forum btw... I'm plaining on purchasing our first fifth wheel soon, we decided on Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS. The unit is 9,580 lb. dry and 11,500 GVWR, the pin weight is at around 1,570 lb. unloaded according to the manufacture specs. I have 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 3.73 short bed with payload 3,030 lb. We will travel with 2 adults and 2 small kids.
Do you guys think I can safely pull this trailer with my truck?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Based on your information you are well within the limits of your truck. Happy Camping.

whitexc

Reaction score
Don't forget pics!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RedBull

Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys, pictures are coming LOL... We love the cougar and we already put deposit on it, I just want to be 100% sure that this baby won't be too heavy for our truck.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie but I've been lurking on here for a while, very nice and informative forum btw... I'm plaining on purchasing our first fifth wheel soon, we decided on Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS. The unit is 9,580 lb. dry and 11,500 GVWR, the pin weight is at around 1,570 lb. unloaded according to the manufacture specs. I have 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 3.75 short bed with payload 3,030 lb. We will travel with 2 adults and 2 small kids.
Do you guys think I can safely pull this trailer with my truck?
Thanks in advance.
Short answer, YES.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
plan on a pin weight about 2300. We load the trailer to minimize the load in the 2013 2500 truck. You should be fine if you watch your load in the truck.

foneguy

Reaction score
yup...but you may possibly need a sliding hitch

rossagge

Reaction score
You'll be good depending on the front cap design. Might not need a sliding hitch. I tow a 43fter but with a gooseneck set up. Took some tight turns and just kept an eye out for the cab and cap. You're well within capabilities. Me personally I got rid of my gasser for the diesel. I didn't want to deal with the bad fuel economy. Mines 12k dry though.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

RedBull

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the lightweight aluminum 5th wheel to gooseneck Andersen Hitch part #3220. I wonder if that would work with my combo.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the lightweight aluminum 5th wheel to gooseneck Andersen Hitch part #3220. I wonder if that would work with my combo.
Crap hitch and for the hassle its so much nicer to use a 5th wheel hitch than a goose ball, all my gooseneck trailers under 20k i have converted to 5thwheel much faster hookup if you don't have a cargo cam

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Crap hitch and for the hassle its so much nicer to use a 5th wheel hitch than a goose ball, all my gooseneck trailers under 20k i have converted to 5thwheel much faster hookup if you don't have a cargo cam
I have done the same conversion on the goosenecks, much Gooder!

rossagge

Reaction score
I'm using the GenY Executive - Torsion-Flex, Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck Ball Coupler w/auto latch, GH-8055AL, on my RV. Smoother ride and no chucking. Hook up isn't a problem for me. I don't have the bed cam. Of course easier with a spotter (the wife). I like having the space to utilize in my bed vs the 5th wheel. Just my preference. Something to look into.
Executive-fifth-to-goose.png

RedBull

Reaction score
I'm using the GenY Executive - Torsion-Flex, Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck Ball Coupler w/auto latch, GH-8055AL, on my RV. Smoother ride and no chucking. Hook up isn't a problem for me. I don't have the bed cam. Of course easier with a spotter (the wife). I like having the space to utilize in my bed vs the 5th wheel. Just my preference. Something to look into.
View attachment 13109
So, this attaches directly to goose neck ball, and basically cancels the factory 5th wheel attachment correct?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
So, this attaches directly to goose neck ball, and basically cancels the factory 5th wheel attachment correct?
It replaces the 5th wheel pin box on the trailer side. If I didn't have the need to tow many different 5th wheel trailers, I would look into this more.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sometimes the wife makes things harder lol, you still have the swing of the hitch so you don't end up with any extra storage in my experience but it is nice not having a heavy air rider hitch to deal with like mine

Attachments

• 0EFC75D2-C41B-4B8A-A29A-0A1CACBC49C7.jpeg
    0EFC75D2-C41B-4B8A-A29A-0A1CACBC49C7.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 38
  • BD0A4243-03ED-4D22-8EFD-63A79B533AB3.jpeg
    BD0A4243-03ED-4D22-8EFD-63A79B533AB3.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 38

RedBull

Reaction score
I’m trying to maximize the payload of my truck by minimize the equipment weight, my question is replacing the pin box with this Gen Y coupler and not having the 5wheel hitch at all would probably save me at least a couple hundred pounds of weight on the bed if I’m thinking correctly. The only thing is that I have 6.4 box and just wondering if the camper will clear the cab when using this coupler.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Got this from PullRite, it has a regular 5th hitch head but goose ball mount. Steel frame good for 24K. Nothing wrong with a goose ball mount and they're lighter to boot.

Attachments

• 3900_ps.png
    3900_ps.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 16

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m trying to maximize the payload of my truck by minimize the equipment weight, my question is replacing the pin box with this Gen Y coupler and not having the 5wheel hitch at all would probably save me at least a couple hundred pounds of weight on the bed if I’m thinking correctly. The only thing is that I have 6.4 box and just wondering if the camper will clear the cab when using this coupler.
Most normal 5th wheel hitches are light not a couple of hundred pounds more like 100lbs unless you get in to the fancy stuff or air ride like mine its 300ish

RV_Goose

Reaction score
If a couple hundred pounds of payload makes a difference between going over or not for a trailer you own, you need to consider another truck with more capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread