Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel Prep - Aftermarket

Ickabod

Reaction score
I ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 with 6.4 bed, ram boxes and bedliner. Has anyone installed a 5th wheel hitch after market? What type did you get and who installed the hitch? What did you do about adding an in-bed hook-up for the trailer? I have looked at this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/ram-box-5th-wheel-towing-prep.297/ but didn't quite answer the questions. Thank you for your input!

Last edited:

woody284

Reaction score
Totally recommend B&W companion but with Ram boxes you might be limited. Totally guessing but to give you an opinion you might look at an Anderson and gooseneck adaptor to help with the limited space the Ram boxes will give you compared to a full bed.

lgarrison34

Reaction score
I am about to do this exact setup. I have purchased a B&W Companion hitch with the factory puck system legs for Ram. To make this work with the Rambox you will need a Reese Sidewinder pin box. I still have to install my factory puck brackets and cut the holes. I will post results once everything is finished and hooked up. There is a guy on Youtube (Gerber Racing) running this setup with no issues. A simple Google search should lead you there.

g00fy

Reaction score
I ordered a 2022 Ram 2500 with 6.4 bed, ram boxes and bedliner. Has anyone installed a 5th wheel hitch after market? What type did you get and who installed the hitch? What did you do about adding an in-bed hook-up for the trailer? I have looked at this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/ram-box-5th-wheel-towing-prep.297/ but didn't quite answer the questions. Thank you for your input!

I just installed the OEM 5th wheel kit & Gooseneck a few weeks ago. It really wasn't bad at all, a little time consuming, but really the hardest part was finding where to drill the holes since the reference points they give in the directions aren't worth sh*t if you have a bed liner. If you decide to go this route, let me know, I'll take measurements of where everything ended up on my truck.

Edit: Just reread OP and saw you have a RAM box, I didn't have a rambox, but the front to back measurements should be the same, you're gonna be on your own for the side to side measurements, but they should be easier to figure out in a rambox since the sides of your bed are square with the floor.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I am about to do this exact setup. I have purchased a B&W Companion hitch with the factory puck system legs for Ram. To make this work with the Rambox you will need a Reese Sidewinder pin box. I still have to install my factory puck brackets and cut the holes. I will post results once everything is finished and hooked up. There is a guy on Youtube (Gerber Racing) running this setup with no issues. A simple Google search should lead you there.

I just installed the OEM 5th wheel kit & Gooseneck a few weeks ago. It really wasn't bad at all, a little time consuming, but really the hardest part was finding where to drill the holes since the reference points they give in the directions aren't worth sh*t if you have a bed liner. If you decide to go this route, let me know, I'll take measurements of where everything ended up on my truck.

Edit: Just reread OP and saw you have a RAM box, I didn't have a rambox, but the front to back measurements should be the same, you're gonna be on your own for the side to side measurements, but they should be easier to figure out in a rambox since the sides of your bed are square with the floor.
What are you guys doing about the trailer hookup? Are you just using the bumper 7 pin?

g00fy

Reaction score
What are you guys doing about the trailer hookup? Are you just using the bumper 7 pin?

I Installed the Curt 7 pin outlet in the bed. That was very easy, it comes with a plug & play T-harness and you just gotta decide where you want to drill the 2 & 1/8" hole to install the outlet.

_RAJyk4bb08MlM2j_ZMG6bqTlnUv4FGNhSIL-nNcgCDrqa-2_3Ns1idZowmNkSav0FPFq9rqF_pyfPfIc22Da8sDYI_BktS_bSVtpZCNsHe3mF_1sdM6NY84IcklU-gYYdHTusYJiCztZirUyaMC94vQMFcN9AwZ3qNtM75WMTo2rnN5B7iJ7z7X6DO2iQf7G71t-sZETohZP_jWDK0P75RTvVMkJJwNtd6dCRop_EWbnSlWPF7ptqvFhqFCJYrdOuRUd3BSNyxbxlAE6PiygSy-NRmHc9dEdu_V-Q1CkKEhkzRykhL7SGMtE9Z1cxy9NzSfb78qMUMULHz4fm94WJDow2NIhLSG1DabgItjisGTfd2CBtUJTMluApBkdRKNE27DOUxCJxDP6TfldI0q43HOBc48QBakfF0Vs8F6dyJ4ge9sCz3WlDlXWA3DkBhc_FIy_qVfCsxb17HYQkWMfKEsK9dCkI1If0H8jsMTSP4BBvayYxshVrJnxtNfI4IfV_nJQNNTK3li06aJXUdJ0Vwo7cYEbqknDofYyP4LWDBcClCIHkaiq5n1eeVXZHCTJ13q5gaHN-qHdZvsgv4AXoWM-tEasE2OZhuNL2hPLv98zrYx1_zUaDRu_TI0ZRDBB8nH1Yh5zi_8ifJtXiKNJd_bAcoZFvKsaRyrnAUcy5S5a_Snxm_eop6G2Y5c3X7bgd1rrW7YVk5cj_TC6_zCRDp9ig=w1210-h907-no

Last edited:

lgarrison34

Reaction score

I ordered the same 7 pin kit to install in the bed.

Ickabod

Reaction score

Do you happen to have the part number for the OEM kit? Is there a reason you went with the Curt 7-pin vs OEM 7-pin? I have been trying to find the part number for the in-bed OEM 7-pin/12-pin combo.

g00fy

Reaction score
Do you happen to have the part number for the OEM kit? Is there a reason you went with the Curt 7-pin vs OEM 7-pin? I have been trying to find the part number for the in-bed OEM 7-pin/12-pin combo.

The way i ordered the parts was:

5th wheel prep kit: 82215838

Then the gooseneck parts individually

gooseneck receiver - 68349568AA
X 2 mounting straps - 68366718AA
X 4 nuts - 6512099AA
X 4 bolts - 6509456AA

I ordered it this way so i wouldn't have to pay for extra parts I wasn't going to use.

As for the 7pin plug i went with the Curt cause it was available prime, I honestly didn't even know about a 12 pin plug, I only knew about the OEM 7 pin so i figured why spend the extra money on OEM when the curt is the same thing.

Companykid91

Reaction score
I installed the B&W turnover in my 2021 3500. I was able to do it in the driveway by myself in about 2 hours. The hardest part was getting the mount into place since it has some weight to it. I have a companion in it right now. C0506A50-2517-4FA1-B890-FF5CDF7CDBA8.png

lgarrison34

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing the factory puck system in the Rambox bed and a 7 pin. I would recommend going a little bigger than a 3-1/2 inch hole saw that the directions call for. 4 might be a little big but something in between would have been better.
a92733d3644c73a989981355763b3c60.jpg

a91cb6c3f22d954f4d7a3d8b73dbaa98.jpg

a33336b0ee74158b79d62cdf17c7bd89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread