Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel hitch slider or no slider?

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2022 Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab short bed. I have a 2020 Grand Design MKS320 5th wheel camper. The truck has the OEM 5th wheel prep package puck system. Should I get a slider or non-slider hitch? I know everyones says to get a slider because I have a short bed but I came from a 2019 GMC Sierra 3500 short bed and I purchased a slider hitch for it. In 3 years of camping, I never had to slide the hitch to the rear to get into a parking spot. I just kept an eye on how close my camper was to the truck cab. I just wanted to hear from the guys with experience that pull 5th wheel campers with their 6.5" short bed and non-sliding puck system hitch.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2022 Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab short bed. I have a 2020 Grand Design MKS320 5th wheel camper. The truck has the OEM 5th wheel prep package puck system. Should I get a slider or non-slider hitch? I know everyones says to get a slider because I have a short bed but I came from a 2019 GMC Sierra 3500 short bed and I purchased a slider hitch for it. In 3 years of camping, I never had to slide the hitch to the rear to get into a parking spot. I just kept an eye on how close my camper was to the truck cab. I just wanted to hear from the guys with experience that pull 5th wheel campers with their 6.5" short bed and non-sliding puck system hitch.
You don't need a slider until you do sort of deal. The newer trailers the front cap clears better than the older trailers and the rare occasion you need to go 90°. I would be willing to wager you will never need the slider

Icky

Reaction score
I have the autoslider on mine, and evey time I'm making a uturn in my cul-de-sac I get almost to 90 degrees. Takes up a lot of room in the bed, still want to convert over to a goose box and run the offset ball.

Rglad91

Reaction score
Well I got a ‘22 3500 mega srw with an auto slider pulling a ‘22 Montana camper. Here’s me at maybe a 55° on day one testing the waters. After seeing the clearance with the slider I haven’t looked again while backing up and maneuvering. You can see distance from cab and how much it’s slid at turn. Without a slider to me it looks like the odds of hitting are pretty high but I’ve had nothing else to compare to so it all I know.

Attachments

• 877CA9FD-0487-4478-A48E-F91FE4971F6E.jpeg
    877CA9FD-0487-4478-A48E-F91FE4971F6E.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 64
  • A7D15B82-F4D1-4D96-B8A2-E87F9B01B304.jpeg
    A7D15B82-F4D1-4D96-B8A2-E87F9B01B304.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 64

darrellr

Reaction score
I have had 2 different fws (one a 2021 Alliance, current is 2022 Riverstone) since buying my current truck. I would not have been able to make either work without my slider based on some of the campgrounds we have had to maneuver and park in. One was an issue due to uneven ground while parking (site had a bit of a lip to get in / out of) and the other was VERY tight. I might have been able to get it done without a slider, but I would not have been very comfortable with it. With the auto slider, as long as it works, I really don't even think about it now. It is worth the piece of mind, though I would really like a Gen Y hitch to be able to replace the hitch with a ball. But we really like the extra room in the Megacab for the dogs, so we make due.

downsc123

Reaction score
I have a 2023 GD Reflection 324MBS which has the newer system front caps that allow for a bit more cab clearance than the older designs. I knew I wanted the B&W companion hitch. Since the front cap is a bit of a better design, I felt ok with going with the non-slider hitch which I wanted as the slider hitch weighs significantly more making it hard even with 2 people to remove it from the truck when you need your whole bed (my neighbor has the B&W slider and I have the non-slider so I have felt the difference in weight - he uses an engine lift to get it out). Just need to be careful when making a tight turn but I have yet to get anywhere close to getting into trouble.

tchur1

Reaction score
I have had 2 different fws (one a 2021 Alliance, current is 2022 Riverstone) since buying my current truck. I would not have been able to make either work without my slider based on some of the campgrounds we have had to maneuver and park in. One was an issue due to uneven ground while parking (site had a bit of a lip to get in / out of) and the other was VERY tight. I might have been able to get it done without a slider, but I would not have been very comfortable with it. With the auto slider, as long as it works, I really don't even think about it now. It is worth the piece of mind, though I would really like a Gen Y hitch to be able to replace the hitch with a ball. But we really like the extra room in the Megacab for the dogs, so we make due.
I have mega cab dually on order and we are looking at the riverstone 391 fsk and 42FSKG, so your identical setup basically. 3 questions that I would love your insights on.

1) Which auto slider are you running?

2) If you swapped to the gen y, would you run an offset or standard gooseball?

3) Which frame/pinbox is on your 5ver

Hardtop

Reaction score
Well I got a ‘22 3500 mega srw with an auto slider pulling a ‘22 Montana camper. Here’s me at maybe a 55° on day one testing the waters. After seeing the clearance with the slider I haven’t looked again while backing up and maneuvering. You can see distance from cab and how much it’s slid at turn. Without a slider to me it looks like the odds of hitting are pretty high but I’ve had nothing else to compare to so it all I know.
Got the same truck. Exploring options. Looks like you have a Pullrite Superglide. Any reason you chose that over a Demco autoslide? I'm not dissing your choice. Would love to hear from an actual user versus the manufacturer's competing websites and videos.

darrellr

Reaction score
I have mega cab dually on order and we are looking at the riverstone 391 fsk and 42FSKG, so your identical setup basically. 3 questions that I would love your insights on.

1) Which auto slider are you running?

2) If you swapped to the gen y, would you run an offset or standard gooseball?

3) Which frame/pinbox is on your 5ver
I am using a Pullrite Superglide 2315. My Alliance had the RhinoBox and my Riverstone has the Trail Air Ride. I cannot swap to the Gen Y either way as there is simply not enough clearance. My Riverstone is still fairly square around the front (42FSKG - it is a front kitchen model so not as easy to cut the corners as a closet). I am not even close, even with a 4" offset. Both trailers are 102" wide, so just doing the math, I would need the kingpin to be at least 51" away from the back of my cab. That is just not feasible. I really do not want an over 4000# pin weight to be located behind the rear axle at all, so even if it could work with an offset ball, I am not sure I would do that.

tchur1

Reaction score
I am using a Pullrite Superglide 2315. My Alliance had the RhinoBox and my Riverstone has the Trail Air Ride. I cannot swap to the Gen Y either way as there is simply not enough clearance. My Riverstone is still fairly square around the front (42FSKG - it is a front kitchen model so not as easy to cut the corners as a closet). I am not even close, even with a 4" offset. Both trailers are 102" wide, so just doing the math, I would need the kingpin to be at least 51" away from the back of my cab. That is just not feasible. I really do not want an over 4000# pin weight to be located behind the rear axle at all, so even if it could work with an offset ball, I am not sure I would do that.
This is the exact feedback I was hoping for. Thank you. I was afraid that would be the case based on the shape of the riverstones and since you have the exact rig I plan to purchase, i'll end up getting a slider of some sorts just to be safe.

mkmsr

Reaction score
To me a slider is just too heavy and expensive. I went with the Curt Crosswing Hitch for the goose ball. I pull a GD 340RDS with a 3500 CCSB. The hitch gives a 5" offset so I can get close to 90°, maybe even 90 but even on wet pavement it's more side load on the trailer tires and suspension than I am comfortable with. I would rather do a few short back and forths than put so much pressure on the trailer suspension.
49afe4691bfed3a6869480a93178e140.jpg
b83e558d1a9d6ae931bc0255d672bab3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

CharlieL

Reaction score
This is the exact feedback I was hoping for. Thank you. I was afraid that would be the case based on the shape of the riverstones and since you have the exact rig I plan to purchase, i'll end up getting a slider of some sorts just to be safe.
I have a 2022 2500 short bed and a 2022 KZ Durango D250RED. This is my first fifth wheel, and I bought the truck first as we planned to move up from towing trailers for the past 20 years, moving up from a 2013 1500. While the 5'r is marketed as okay with short bed trucks, I decided to err on the side of caution and installed a PullRite 2300. I had no prior experience, just figured I'd rather have one less (very major) thing to worry about!

Attachments

• New-Old Side-by-side.jpg
    New-Old Side-by-side.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 124.JPG
    124.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 60

Icky

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500 short bed and a 2022 KZ Durango D250RED. This is my first fifth wheel, and I bought the truck first as we planned to move up from towing trailers for the past 20 years, moving up from a 2013 1500. While the 5'r is marketed as okay with short bed trucks, I decided to err on the side of caution and installed a PullRite 2300. I had no prior experience, just figured I'd rather have one less (very major) thing to worry about!
What's up with the bungee cord? Does it slide around when not in use?

Rglad91

Reaction score
In
Got the same truck. Exploring options. Looks like you have a Pullrite Superglide. Any reason you chose that over a Demco autoslide? I'm not dissing your choice. Would love to hear from an actual user versus the manufacturer's competing websites and videos.
Long story made simple. I found it on Craigslist for a killer deal and pretty much brand new, I think he towed twice with it. Too good to pass up and it was the hitch I wanted but no one sells them locally around me which had me contemplating. But the guy sold it cause he traded his mega in for a long bed dully otherwise he loved it and now had no use for the sliding hitch

CharlieL

Reaction score
What's up with the bungee cord? Does it slide around when not in use?
It did at first, until I got it properly adjusted. Just took learning all about the hitch.

Attachments

• 2500 Hitch.JPG
    2500 Hitch.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 22

Icky

Reaction score
It did at first, until I got it properly adjusted. Just took learning all about the hitch.
I was going to link you the video on how to adjust it, but it seems like you got it figured out. I have the same hitch

CharlieL

Reaction score
I was going to link you the video on how to adjust it, but it seems like you got it figured out. I have the same hitch
Ha Ha! Thanks. As the ol' saying goes - when all else fails read the directions!

Had an interesting first experience towing. We bought the trailer from Wilder RV in Clinton, MO. They helped me hook up the first time; didn't practice disconnecting. Drove to a KOA about 4 hours away - first stop for the night. Could not get the hitch to release, so I called Pullrite & they were of great help. Had to use the "alternate method" of disconnecting the clevis pins and lifting the plate assembly off by raising the 5th wheel. Once I got home, I realized that some paint overspray on the king pin & no lubrication whatsoever of the plate assembly kept it from working correctly. Now, it's a breeze to connect & disconnect. Plus, the cargo camera works great for getting lined up straight.

darrellr

Reaction score
If it won't unlatch, just pull the trailer brakes/chock the tires, and push back into the trailer a bit. It released the tension on the jaws.

Users who are viewing this thread