Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen instrument cluster swap

Ramdutty22

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500 bighorn diesel with 3.5” cluster and I bought a 7” limited cluster out of a 1500 eco diesel buy when you plug it in it doesn’t work just has a bunch of errors , I’m woundering if you can reprogram the cluster for a 2500 or not, thanks!

The picture is of the new cluster when plugged in

Attachments

• 65720F18-75F6-4DAF-9E2C-CF6297C94A7E.jpeg
    65720F18-75F6-4DAF-9E2C-CF6297C94A7E.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 143

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
You’re gonna need one from an HD truck. There’s so many modules that communicate to the cluster differently between the DTs and HDs, and I don’t even know if anyone can reprogram that without countless hours of data logging.

Ramdutty22

Reaction score
You’re gonna need one from an HD truck. There’s so many modules that communicate to the cluster differently between the DTs and HDs, and I don’t even know if anyone can reprogram that without countless hours of data logging.
Yea that’s what I was thinking , I’m returning this one and ordered one for a hd

Ramken

Reaction score
I ordered one from wholesale Mopar parts we will see if it actually comes or if they cancel my order they charge my card so we will see
That’s what I’ve seen from other people good luck

Ramdutty22

Reaction score
That’s what I’ve seen from other people good luck
Yeah they just emailed me and refunded my money said it was on back order and I have to go to local dealer because of van and mileage has to be programmed which is ******** oh well guess I’ll have to look for a used one

dablack21

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the same thing for my tradesman. If I found a used cluster, how would I be able to get it to work? Can I swap it at the house and drive to the dealer to program it without issues?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the same thing for my tradesman. If I found a used cluster, how would I be able to get it to work? Can I swap it at the house and drive to the dealer to program it without issues?
As far as the cluster working, you just remove and replace, and everything will work like it should on the new cluster. The mileage and hours need to be corrected, though. Dealers are not allowed to program the mileage, nor do they have the capability. This isn’t just a policy with Stellantis, it is part of the NAFTA agreement, that clusters, or any mileage tracking device, must go to a third party to be mileage corrected and documented. This is why you can’t buy a brand new cluster from a parts supplier.
If you don’t care about the hours, which are a novelty feature anyway, you can correct the mileage using AlfaOBD.

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Hello, first post here on the HD forum. Thought I would share a bit of my experience with this cluster of a cluster swap.

Found a 7" cluster pulled from a Power Wagon on Car-Part for $350. For the price, I jumped on it. Figured I could swap lenses if I cared enough to do so.

Lots of descriptions of the physical swap, I won't go into detail. Not difficult by any means, but not 4th gen easy either.

I was using Alpha OBD on a Samsung tablet and couldn't get the miles to write for anything. Being stubborn, I tried to make it work for way too long. In the past I always used the latest version of android on a phone with Alpha, but had "jumped ship" to apple. Thinking maybe it was an Android issue, I downloaded the windows version the following day and it worked flawlessly. I've seen comments about the mileage not writing correctly, so I was expecting some goofieness. I saw the same thing on the first write, but the issue was pretty clear. Alpha OBD was interpreting "miles" as kilometers (even though the field was described as miles in Alpha OBD). A simple conversion of my target mileage (3626) to km (5835) yielded the correct mileage on my display on the next write.

Alexey was kind enough to share a beta version of his software that he's working on to write hours. I couldn't get it to work. I documented hours so that I can make the change when he gets it working.

The only issue I saw was DTE (distance to empty) seemed to be stuck at 1999. After about 30 miles of driving it started to drop. I've driven about 150 miles so far (starting with a full tank) and it's finally dipped below 200 miles while my fuel gauge is just above half tank. Still a bit higher than I'd expect, buy slowly correcting itself. I'm assuming the calculations are slow to update based off of time and distance averaged data. Anyway, pictures....

Original cluster (only showing for mileage, no one cares to look at these....that's why we swap them):

cluster 1.jpg

Powered up fine, mileage as received. Just gave the lens a quick polish with the rotary before install:

cluster 2.jpg

Mileage corrected, now people can make fun of me for posing as a power wagon (yes, those are power wagon flares in my profile pic). Coming from a '15 express that posed as a sport, it's all good!

cluster 3.jpg

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
is there a difference between gas and diesel on the clusters?

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Hello, first post here on the HD forum. Thought I would share a bit of my experience with this cluster of a cluster swap.

Found a 7" cluster pulled from a Power Wagon on Car-Part for $350. For the price, I jumped on it. Figured I could swap lenses if I cared enough to do so.

Lots of descriptions of the physical swap, I won't go into detail. Not difficult by any means, but not 4th gen easy either.

I was using Alpha OBD on a Samsung tablet and couldn't get the miles to write for anything. Being stubborn, I tried to make it work for way too long. In the past I always used the latest version of android on a phone with Alpha, but had "jumped ship" to apple. Thinking maybe it was an Android issue, I downloaded the windows version the following day and it worked flawlessly. I've seen comments about the mileage not writing correctly, so I was expecting some goofieness. I saw the same thing on the first write, but the issue was pretty clear. Alpha OBD was interpreting "miles" as kilometers (even though the field was described as miles in Alpha OBD). A simple conversion of my target mileage (3626) to km (5835) yielded the correct mileage on my display on the next write.

Alexey was kind enough to share a beta version of his software that he's working on to write hours. I couldn't get it to work. I documented hours so that I can make the change when he gets it working.

The only issue I saw was DTE (distance to empty) seemed to be stuck at 1999. After about 30 miles of driving it started to drop. I've driven about 150 miles so far (starting with a full tank) and it's finally dipped below 200 miles while my fuel gauge is just above half tank. Still a bit higher than I'd expect, buy slowly correcting itself. I'm assuming the calculations are slow to update based off of time and distance averaged data. Anyway, pictures....

Original cluster (only showing for mileage, no one cares to look at these....that's why we swap them):

View attachment 25048

Powered up fine, mileage as received. Just gave the lens a quick polish with the rotary before install:

View attachment 25049

Mileage corrected, now people can make fun of me for posing as a power wagon (yes, those are power wagon flares in my profile pic). Coming from a '15 express that posed as a sport, it's all good!

View attachment 25050
What was the part number you used?

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ordered a used EVIC for 6.4 and they sent me one for a 6.7. It is in the buy/sell/trade thread if anyone is looking.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'll also be putting a 7" 6.7 EVIC up for sale in the the buy/sell/trade by the end of this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread