Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 Gallon Tank TSB - 14-002-20

Bambam

Reaction score
I haven’t done the sending unit and reverted the program back to the 31 gallon config. DTE is good for bit gauge works now. And the service manager came to the conclusion the 50 gallon tank must have a different sending unit.
Yes that’s what I was told, the price is not too bad is about $180. I have a mega cab and cant use the OEM 50 gallon tank, so I was thinking I on getting the Titan XXL and doing the 50 gallon sending unit and hope for it to work.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Pretty sure you do "not" need a different sending unit with the Titan tank. The different sending unit for OEM MOPAR tanks is because they are different sizes horizontally and vertically. The Titan is the same vertical height as the stock 31 gallon tank, it is just longer front to rear (which has no effect on float level).

ccm3rd

Reaction score
That’s true. But if you have them change the option to a 50 gallon tank so the DTE is correct you must change the sending unit or it’s way off. Good lesson I learned and the dealer reverted me to the stock 31 gallon option config for free and my gauge works now. I can do the math in my head for DTE.

rfullen280

Reaction score
And I can confirm, installing the TitanXXL 50 gallon tank, does not require any different sending unit than the 31 gallon tank has stock.

There's only 1 setting in AlfaOBD that requires changing, and that is this one:

VehConfig3 - Fuel Capacity - 194.000 liters

That's it. Works perfect.

nlbarber

Reaction score
And I can confirm, installing the TitanXXL 50 gallon tank, does not require any different sending unit than the 31 gallon tank has stock.

There's only 1 setting in AlfaOBD that requires changing, and that is this one:

VehConfig3 - Fuel Capacity - 194.000 liters

That's it. Works perfect.
I recently installed the S&B 52 gallon tank and am using the 31 gallon sending unit. I input the tank size (197 liters) in AlphaOBD yesterday. I then filled up to the credit card max at the gas station, tank gauge was beyond full (max) and DTE was ~580. I went to a station around the corner to complete the fill up (7.5 gallons more) and DTE and tank gauge remained the same. My question is did you do any calibration and if so, what figures were used? I looked at the shared file on Google Drive and it only contained calibration settings for 26 and 31 gallons. Vehicle is 2019 2500 Megacab with 6.7. Thank you.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I recently installed the S&B 52 gallon tank and am using the 31 gallon sending unit. I input the tank size (197 liters) in AlphaOBD yesterday. I then filled up to the credit card max at the gas station, tank gauge was beyond full (max) and DTE was ~580. I went to a station around the corner to complete the fill up (7.5 gallons more) and DTE and tank gauge remained the same. My question is did you do any calibration and if so, what figures were used? I looked at the shared file on Google Drive and it only contained calibration settings for 26 and 31 gallons. Vehicle is 2019 2500 Megacab with 6.7. Thank you.
In mine, I set the the tank size at 194 liters. Nothing else is required. The DTE will adjust itself over time... it's a calculation based on past driving/mpg. Pretty sure that'll work for ya. (

nlbarber

Reaction score
That's what I'll do! Thank you for the quick response, very much appreciated.

AccidentalOutlaw

Reaction score
I installed the titan on my 2019 3500.

When I set the fuel tank capacity at 194, it shows correct initially, but it stays high until my analog needle starts to move, at a little over half a tank. Then it drops faster to catch up, so I drive 1 mile and my range drops 3 miles for instance.

I set mine to 120, so now my initial range is low, but when it starts counting down its a 1 for 1 mile with my range estimate and miles actually driven.

Anyone know if there's a fix to the analog fuel needle? I'm assuming that it's a tank geometry issue and there's no real software fix.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's the mechanical fuel level sensor on the big tanks is actually a little below the fuel level of a full tank. And, DTE is calculated based on consumption rate (MPG) vs. fuel level (of a known tank quantity).

For example, fall/spring driving, where I don't use any of the remote starting, I consistently see over 1000 miles to empty with 20+ MPG. Winter on the other hand, starts at 1000, and by the time the needle moves, it's dropped to 800 DTE.

Users who are viewing this thread