Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 Gallon Tank TSB - 14-002-20

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Info contained may also be helpful for those retrofitting a 50 in:

SUBJECT: 50 Gallon Fuel Tank Reconfiguration OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves inspecting the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) configuration data and performing the enable 50 gallon tank routine in wiTECH. MODELS: 2020 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup 2020 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: North America. NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before June 11, 2020 (MDH 0611XX) equipped with a 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine (Sales Code ETL), or a 6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Eng (Sales Code ETM) and a 50 Gallon Fuel Tank (Sales Code NFC). SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find that the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set: • P0461 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Performance (Set in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)).

5. If the fuel tank configuration is found to be correct, or DTC P0461 returns after correcting the option, review the following with the customer before replacing any parts: • It’s possible that the customer’s fueling habits could set this DTC. • If a customer allows the fuel tank level to fall below 14.9% and only adds small amounts of fuel to the tank keeping the fuel level below 14.9% during the 386 km (240 mi) counter, the DTC can set. • This is a normal characteristic of the fuel system and not a malfunction with the design of the system.

kobra

Reaction score
Just so I understand, are you saying that a dealer could use this TSB info to reprogram my CC that came with the 32 gallon, so that it will recognize the Titan 52 gallon as if it were a 50 gallon Mopar?
If so, that will be great and I will get them to do it.
Thanks,

B

delmoniCO

Reaction score
Just so I understand, are you saying that a dealer could use this TSB info to reprogram my CC that came with the 32 gallon, so that it will recognize the Titan 52 gallon as if it were a 50 gallon Mopar?
Thanks,

B

Theoretically, yes. In practice, they will not. You'll need AlfaOBD.

abishoff

Reaction score
Thanks,

B

Are you saying that you’re replacing your front gas tank with a Titan Tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kobra

Reaction score
Are you saying that you’re replacing your front gas tank with a Titan Tank?

Yes, already got the dealer to do it before I even took delivery.
DTE is not accurate, and dealer says give it a few more tankfuls and it will clear up, but I'm not so sure. If I can just tell them to pretend it comes with the factory 50 gallon, and reprogram to that, perhaps that will work.

B

delmoniCO

Reaction score
DTE is not accurate, and dealer says give it a few more tankfuls and it will clear up, but I'm not so sure. If I can just tell them to pretend it comes with the factory 50 gallon, and reprogram to that, perhaps that will work.

B

It won't. Just get Alfa. Seriously.

abishoff

Reaction score

B

Any idea if the titan tank will fit on my 5500?

ccm3rd

Reaction score
I replaced the 31 gallon tank in my 2020 3500 with a Titan 55 gallon and DTE was way off. Fuel gauge worked well. Had the dealer update the options for my truck to the larger tank (50 gallon) as I thought the DTE would update and it did. Now the fuel gauge is way off. The gauge read almost full and I added 35 gallons. Should have been below half before filling.

Is the sending unit different from the factory for a 31 versus 50 gallon tank?

ccm3rd

Reaction score
Also the DTE updated and will show 800+ miles to empty but drive 400 miles and it will still show the same DTE within 50 miles or so.

delmoniCO

Reaction score
Also the DTE updated and will show 800+ miles to empty but drive 400 miles and it will still show the same DTE within 50 miles or so.

I think the Titan tanks are larger than advertised. Also, the shape of the tank is obviously different than OEM so the calculations off the float level are likely off to some extent. Even after adjusting my tank size in Alfa to 194 liters (51.25 gallons) my 52 gallon Titan tank sat beyond full for at at least 100 miles.

ccm3rd

Reaction score
I expected some inaccuracy due to tank geometry but not as much as I see now. Thinking of having the dealer revert the setting back to the 31 gallon and stop looking at the DTE number. At least the gauge worked.

delmoniCO

Reaction score
I expected some inaccuracy due to tank geometry but not as much as I see now. Thinking of having the dealer revert the setting back to the 31 gallon and stop looking at the DTE number. At least the gauge worked.

Set it back to 31 gallons so it works even less?

Steverin06

Reaction score
I think the Titan tanks are larger than advertised. Also, the shape of the tank is obviously different than OEM so the calculations off the float level are likely off to some extent. Even after adjusting my tank size in Alfa to 194 liters (51.25 gallons) my 52 gallon Titan tank sat beyond full for at at least 100 miles.
Exact same experience for me. DTE then counts down much faster than actual MPG/fuel remaining afterwards, especially going past half tank. Starts to normalize after about an 1/8 tank left.

ccm3rd

Reaction score
Set it back to 31 gallons so it works even

Exact same experience for me. DTE then counts down much faster than actual MPG/fuel remaining afterwards, especially going past half tank. Starts to normalize after about an 1/8 tank left.
Exactly. I went from 140 miles to empty to low fuel in about 5 miles.

Back to the dealership.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Just had the TSB done, RRT 20-081 after being low on fuel (in the red) no low fuel light. Still showing 60 miles to empty (4 gallons remaining). Truck popped a CEL P0461... also had P203F in memory when scanned.

While there they also did RRT 21-027 (didn't ask for this one, not sure what is is), but i was in a rush to head back to work and had them email the invoice. Will report back if I get a low fuel light or a check engine in about 800 miles

Bambam

Reaction score
A dealership informed me that if I upgrade to the 50 gallon tank I also need to replace the fuel sending unit to the 50 gallon one in order for the ECU to recalibrate itself. Have any of you done this?

ccm3rd

Reaction score
A dealership informed me that if I upgrade to the 50 gallon tank I also need to replace the fuel sending unit to the 50 gallon one in order for the ECU to recalibrate itself. Have any of you done this?
I haven’t done the sending unit and reverted the program back to the 31 gallon config. DTE is good for bit gauge works now. And the service manager came to the conclusion the 50 gallon tank must have a different sending unit.

Users who are viewing this thread