Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

470 HP 6.4 L hemi

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So I was watching a video the other day, and on there was a stock Jeep that came from the factory with a 6.4L hemi. They stated that the motor had 470 HP and 470 TQ.

So my questions, is this the same 6.4L that we have in our 2500s? And if so, then why do we not get 470 HP/470TQ? Or what would have to be done to reach those goals?

Anyone have any info on this set up?

silver billet

Reaction score
They're not the same; the Jeep gets the SRT 6.4 which is designed for car performance, in your truck you have the BGE which is designed for truck usage and durability.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Probably different heads, cam, compression, and injectors.

Nothing that can't be done to your truck with $$$.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Or another thought I just thought of.

Is it the car 6.4 which is a different motor than the truck 6.4?

That would make more sense now since the car 6.4 makes more power. The truck 6.4 is built as a work horse and made to last.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Or another thought I just thought of.

Is it the car 6.4 which is a different motor than the truck 6.4?

That would make more sense now since the car 6.4 makes more power. The truck 6.4 is built as a work horse and made to last.
I am pretty confident that the RAM 6.4 is completely different from the car/Jeep 6.4.
I saw it with my last job, the engines which required a longer time until overhaul had a lower peak power/torque output.

Check out this link, great site for all Mopar information.
https://www.allpar.com/threads/6-4-liter-hemi-truck-engines-for-ram-pickups-and-chassis-cabs.229878/

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The SRT 6.4l is designed to run at peak power for short bursts.

The 6.4l BGE is designed to run at peak power for the whole trip.

Originally the SRT and BGE had different blocks. The BGE uses the same block as the 6.2 Hellcat. In 2018 the SRT went to the hellcat block also.

If you look at the 6.4l BGE in the chassis cab. You will see the motor is RPM limited for more reliability and longevity

el_barto

Reaction score
Similar engines, same general architecture...but not the same engine and not cross compatible. Also other mentioned, this is a truck engine is designed for flatter torque curve and durability, not peak power.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
As others mentioned the BGE block is better and its where all of the 6.4's went after 2018. Additionally the BGE heads are a better design when looking at it from either a longevity or a power perspective. I had really wished my '17 Challenger was an '18 after Cyl #8 ended up with a sudden window modification... Talking to several guys the BGE block does have better coolant flow and larger coolant passages as well as the BGE heads are better cooled. It was in the triple digits outside, oil was around 235, but coolant was still down under 190 when #8 detonated on me. Picking apart the data I had before the explosion as well as looking at the semi conservative tune on it at the time we concluded #8 just got too damn hot considering I was tuned conservatively for 91, had 93 in the tank, and was running some boostane for good measure.

Somehow someone upstairs was looking out for me and my comprehensive policy covered an engine replacement. Shortly afterwards the dealer wanted to buy it back for more than I paid so I let her go. Had I not gotten lucky I was going to drop a BGE based 440 build into it to really have some N/A fun.

Users who are viewing this thread