Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.10 Axle and Protection Group Unavailable on 3500

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Went to place an order this morning and the dealer indicated the 4.10 Axle (DMF) and Protection Group Pkg (ADB) are unavailable to order on a 3500 HO Cummins Crew 4x4 w/6'4" bed. He's going to follow up with RAM to find out why since they are showing as available using the online Build and Price tool (see below). Anyone here want to venture a guess as to why?

Of course, the Auxiliary Rear Trailer Camera Prep Pkg (XFQ), Rear Trailer Camera (82215770AB), and Trailering Tire Pressure Monitor are all unavailable to purchase at this time. So, since those three items are exceptionally important to me, I also asked him to find out if the factory will allow these items to be installed by a third party and integrated into the UConnect system when they become available, or whether it'll have to be done by a dealer.

D

Deleted member 80

Assuming this is SRW, I don't think 4.10s are available except DRW. Honestly, the Cummins with 3.73s will pull well beyond the capacity of an SRW. The protection group thing has to be a glitch.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Assuming this is SRW, I don't think 4.10s are available except DRW. Honestly, the Cummins with 3.73s will pull well beyond the capacity of an SRW. The protection group thing has to be a glitch.
Yes, you are right, it is a SRW. I'm hoping you're right on the protection group.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Being that the offroad package isn't offered on the 3500, there may be something with the mount locations.

And yeah, 4.10 is only available on Dually.

D

Deleted member 80

I got to thinking, there was a thread on TDR about adding it after the fact, BUT this is on an '18, so you'll have to verify part numbers if it comes to that.

Copy/Paste Below:
Just wanted to share the part numbers for adding a factory skid plate.

The skid plate package was $100+, as it has a universal cross member for all trucks. The diesel trucks do not need the cross member, as the DEF tank sits on a robust cross member that holds the skid plate.

What you need is

1 ea: 68089777AB
4 ea: 6509896AA

I got them at my local Ram parts department for a grand total of $47.05.

bobohio

Reaction score
Went to place an order this morning and the dealer indicated the 4.10 Axle (DMF) and Protection Group Pkg (ADB) are unavailable to order on a 3500 HO Cummins Crew 4x4 w/6'4" bed. He's going to follow up with RAM to find out why since they are showing as available using the online Build and Price tool (see below). Anyone here want to venture a guess as to why?

View attachment 156

Of course, the Auxiliary Rear Trailer Camera Prep Pkg (XFQ), Rear Trailer Camera (82215770AB), and Trailering Tire Pressure Monitor are all unavailable to purchase at this time. So, since those three items are exceptionally important to me, I also asked him to find out if the factory will allow these items to be installed by a third party and integrated into the UConnect system when they become available, or whether it'll have to be done by a dealer.
I ordered mine with the protection group, but didn't try to get the 4.10 gears

Don-T

Reaction score
I bet the 4.10 gears in the build and price are incorrect. None of the towing and payload charts or specs show that except on the duallys. My dealer’s factory rep also said 4.10 in a SRW are not possible.The skid plat no available may be just a temporary availability issue as it should be available from what I was told.

I am not happy about the trailer package not including the trailer camera and trailer TPIS. I was really counting on them.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I am not happy about the trailer package not including the trailer camera and trailer TPIS. I was really counting on them.
Me neither. What I don't understand is why RAM was touting all the features during the intro if they knew engineering wasn't complete. Unfortunately, I can't wait until Sep or Oct to order the truck with the package.

I'm trying to remember, didn't some of the YouTube guys show the trailer rear view camera during media day in Vegas?

Don-T

Reaction score
Me neither. What I don't understand is why RAM was touting all the features during the intro if they knew engineering wasn't complete. Unfortunately, I can't wait until Sep or Oct to order the truck with the package.

I'm trying to remember, didn't some of the YouTube guys show the trailer rear view camera during media day in Vegas?
That is what I have been wondering about as well. I did see the trailer tire pressure monitors demonstrated on at least one video. I thought I saw a demo on the trailer camera as well but I am not sure about that.

D

Deleted member 80

Yes, there were several videos where they demonstrated the split view, if that's what they call it, looking down both sides of the trailer, and panning left and right. Typical marketing before reality.

Don-T

Reaction score
Yes, there were several videos where they demonstrated the split view, if that's what they call it, looking down both sides of the trailer, and panning left and right. Typical marketing before reality.
I think the split view you are referring to will be there as they showed it. The camera input on the rear bumper and the optional camera for the rear of the trailer is what is not available. The split views you see are from the mirror mounted cameras.

D

Deleted member 80

I think the split view you are referring to will be there as they showed it. The camera input on the rear bumper and the optional camera for the rear of the trailer is what is not available. The split views you see are from the mirror mounted cameras.
Yes, my bad. I took it that they were shipping trucks without the trailer tech package at all.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Well, I am still going to hang my hat on the trailer reverse guidance. As of now, it still says ... "Back up more confidently with Trailer Reverse Guidance, which displays the output from your trailer cameras on your vehicle's touchscreen"

As a consumer, when they have advertised that you can add a camera to your trailer, this says to me that this is the item that includes it. I think we are all learning that is not the case, but, I have a screen shot of this saved and will push back on them.

Also as of today, the 3500 page, under capability talks about the "available" trailer tire pressure monitoring system. I have looked at numerous configurations under the build and price, and I do not see it "available" anywhere... that to me is false advertising if it's not currently available.

I really think both of these items weren't ready, so, they scrubbed them for the early trucks, but, i think they will ultimately go in the towing tech group... at which point I will be raising holy hell.

I don't expect my truck to come with these items now, but, I am hoping that ram and the dealer will make it right. I have read that the order banks close in June, so, by August or so, they will start producing 2020's. If this tech is not available until fall, the 2019s will never get it, which puts Ram in an even more sticky situation in my opinion since they clearly said these would be available.

Heckyl

Reaction score

View attachment 156

Yes, you are right, it is a SRW. I'm hoping you're right on the protection group.

Stumblefoot,
First, I am glad to know you came around to a 3500! You won’t regret it! We have trained you well. As far as the protection group, I would recommend the snow chief group... but that’s just me.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
Well, I am still going to hang my hat on the trailer reverse guidance. As of now, it still says ... "Back up more confidently with Trailer Reverse Guidance, which displays the output from your trailer cameras on your vehicle's touchscreen"

As a consumer, when they have advertised that you can add a camera to your trailer, this says to me that this is the item that includes it. I think we are all learning that is not the case, but, I have a screen shot of this saved and will push back on them.

Also as of today, the 3500 page, under capability talks about the "available" trailer tire pressure monitoring system. I have looked at numerous configurations under the build and price, and I do not see it "available" anywhere... that to me is false advertising if it's not currently available.

I really think both of these items weren't ready, so, they scrubbed them for the early trucks, but, i think they will ultimately go in the towing tech group... at which point I will be raising holy hell.

I don't expect my truck to come with these items now, but, I am hoping that ram and the dealer will make it right. I have read that the order banks close in June, so, by August or so, they will start producing 2020's. If this tech is not available until fall, the 2019s will never get it, which puts Ram in an even more sticky situation in my opinion since they clearly said these would be available.

I can't imagine them closing ordering for these trucks in just a few months. There's too much FCA has invested in the 2019 model. I imagine they will continue to release the HD models late and I would expect the 2019 to run the rest of the year and even into next year as that seems to be the MO for Ram right considering they are still building older versions and even releasing newer older versions. I'm hoping they slow down the "all new" every year crap. But who knows...

The trailer TPMS just requires the sensors to work if you have the tow tech package (in theory). I'm hoping the same with the cameras as well.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I can't imagine them closing ordering for these trucks in just a few months. There's too much FCA has invested in the 2019 model. I imagine they will continue to release the HD models late and I would expect the 2019 to run the rest of the year and even into next year as that seems to be the MO for Ram right considering they are still building older versions and even releasing newer older versions. I'm hoping they slow down the "all new" every year crap. But who knows...

The trailer TPMS just requires the sensors to work if you have the tow tech package (in theory). I'm hoping the same with the cameras as well.
I’m with you. There is no way in he!! that FCA will close production in a few months. The new ‘19 4.5 will stay virtually the same for ‘20. There is no way they can produce enough HD volumes in the US with the capacity that they’ve got. So, for at least the full 2020 model year, the 4.5 is going to stay in Mexico. Period. RAM is on a market share kick right now and they are framing how they can keep Mexico humming even with a completely retooled Warren Michigan facility.

orlando bull

Reaction score
I’m with you. There is no way in he!! that FCA will close production in a few months. The new ‘19 4.5 will stay virtually the same for ‘20. There is no way they can produce enough HD volumes in the US with the capacity that they’ve got. So, for at least the full 2020 model year, the 4.5 is going to stay in Mexico. Period. RAM is on a market share kick right now and they are framing how they can keep Mexico humming even with a completely retooled Warren Michigan facility.

Read on Cummins forum from the resident dealer over there, he said order banks close in June. They may still build those orders through August, but, that would put the 20s on a normal release cycle. The 20s will likely be the same truck, still in Mexico (I did see the blue streak will be replaced in 20). I think 22 is the best case for a true 5th gen.

Users who are viewing this thread