Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35x12.50 or 315/70/r17?

Agar426

Reaction score
I've put a deposit down on a 2019 2500 CTD Crew Cab Laramie. I am planning on having the Carli leveling kit installed right at the dealership, and am trying to decide which tires to go with. I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country M/Ts, and was planning on the 35x12.50r17s, but am now thinking that the 315 version may be easier on the truck. Is the difference lost in the noise? The weight is about the same, and Toyos tend to be heavy. Should I be looking at another brand? Any other thoughts? I am also planning on aftermarket wheels in a 17x9 size.

Should I be looking at 18" wheels instead?

Distillusion

Reaction score
As far as the 35's vs the 315's, that's diameter of 35" and 34.5", respectively - you're only looking at a 1/2" difference, which is 1/4" height on the sidewall outside the wheel. When you're 10 or 20 feet away from the truck, can you easily see that 1/4" ? It's what matters to you.

Agar426

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense! I think either one would work fine. I'm struggling with wheel selection. The wheel I like has a -12 offset, but I hear Rams work better with a +12 thru +25 offset. I think clearance will be ok with -12, but....will it look goofy? Will it be harder on the front end? Etc.

Distillusion

Reaction score
I am not personally a fan of having the wheels sticking way outside the fenders. I like them lined up with the fender or barely inside. So I am probably not the right person to ask. I would be putting a positive offset on mine.

You might want to check out the Custom Offsets site. They have a pretty decent gallery of user-submitted stuff, and you can search through it to see different wheels, tires, and offsets combos.

You can also read some advice on the Thuren site about these Rams. He goes into differences between 1500s and HDs, and a lot of what will probably work for you. It's not really been updated to reflect 2019 versus earlier models, but I don't think there is much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread