Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
If you truck breaks down, you go into the line of first come first serve. People who have operational trucks are treated the same as a break downs or dead trucks.

The truck worked fine, driving one afternoon at end of July 2022 started to loose power, came to a stop light and truck completely shut down / died (it was the fuel pump).
Would not restart, just kept cranking and cranking. Finally PD came to help push truck to side of road until tow truck arrives since the truck died in an intersection at rush hour.
Truck taken to dealer and will not be fixed for 4 months due to backorder or HPFP (Y78 Recall). I am in line with other people, who have not yet lost their truck, but all the same, first come first serve. There is no emergency provision and no exception to fast fix due to backorder, that is the excuse.
This is a new truck; 2020 RAM 3500 6.7L 4:10 ASIN Limited with 31k miles. Dead in the lot.

When spoke with RAM Care front line receptionist - multiple times I get nowhere, they tell me my case is being reviewed but the case manager is always on the phone or out of the office at the moment.
They did assign me a case, that is pointless knowing the backorder is 4+ months.
I have started the process of connecting with local attorneys on this matter, it seems negligent to hold my truck for repair and not provide any reasonable time solution (hopefully the attorney will have an answer because I have never heard of this repairs taking so long on a disabled vehicle and first come first serve).

According to Texas Lemon laws, this truck when disabled non-functional is a Lemon where the dealer cannot return the truck within 30 days (30 days total max combined down time within 24 months of purchase). I have had this truck 20 months and no solutions to getting it back since the parts are on backorder and the waiting list if first come first serve.
I am hoping this is not a Lemon case, I just want the truck back. But the manner in how RAM is handling this is just plain horrible. You break down in an intersection, have the vehicle towed to the nearest dealer, learn the (Y78) recall is the issue, there are no loaner vehicles available and the truck will not be repaired for 4+ months.

RAM Care says 2 pumps per month per dealer no exceptions.
This is really messed up to purchase a $90k truck and have no access to this vehicle until it is repaired in November 2022 or later due to parts backorder.
I purchase this truck knowing it is a RAM 3500, durable, reliable and great service behind the brand. Not the experience I have witnessed or received.
If you need it back fast you could always do the cp3 conversion....did you use fuel additives at all? Just curious....

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
he could do the cp3 swap but reimbursement process is just as bad or worse than the general recall fiasco.

good luck getting that sorted.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some dealers are getting 2 pumps a week. Its time to use a lawyer to put the pressure on the dealershit

John Jensen

Reaction score
Priorities must be up to the dealers.
My great Service Manager puts a dead or failing pump ahead of the running trucks in line for the recall.
Not sure if he repairs with a CP4 or a CP3, but he gets the failing truck back in service ASAP.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Priorities must be up to the dealers.
My great Service Manager puts a dead or failing pump ahead of the running trucks in line for the recall.
Not sure if he repairs with a CP4 or a CP3, but he gets the failing truck back in service ASAP.
They dont get any CP4s anymore if it fails it falls in to the tsb for the full kit

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you need it back fast you could always do the cp3 conversion....did you use fuel additives at all? Just curious....

He's in full failure mode. It's not just the pump that needs replacement.

It's ~$15-20K in parts and labor.

The dealer and RAM should be prioritizing down trucks over running recalls, that's just wrong.

@RamCares please jump in here and help.

Nick

Reaction score
Totally Unsat ! Mine ran without a hitch then they replaced the pump . If a truck was put ahead of me because it is completely down I would readily understand that. I don't think you could come up with a stupider way to prioritize repairs . Get a Lawyer to get it done ! I suppose that dealership has never heard of the 300 rule . Undertakers rule . Average persons death will be spread to 300 people . Those the deceased knew and this his or her friends knew etc . Sales men were taught this rule in an effort to make them understand the ramifications of poor customer service .

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dealershit (I like that) here in Texas are just not performing. First dealer I had towed to said 3 weeks for evaluation/diagnostic. Second dealer I towed to said 5 days for diagnostic, then parts order which is backordered, min 12 - 14 weeks for parts then another few weeks for install.
There is a waiting list and a few trucks in front of me. I am the only truck on the lot disabled.
From what the dealers here say is whomever has already ordered the kit will be repaired on a first come first serve basis. They don't deal with emergency/disabled trucks once on the lot since other people are already on the list. Makes no sense to me since the people on the list are not disabled, just waiting for the recall replacement in the event of a dead truck.
As for RAM Care handling this issue; I was told this would be dealt with as an emergency disabled vehicle matter and a case manager would handle this in a timely manner on the front of any list. That was a week ago as I have not been able to reach any case manage, only front line reception taking messages.
If I have to tow it to another dealer, not an issue. The tow driver already indicated this is very sketchy how the dealer is treating this and he has towed more trucks off the 2 dealer lots than on the lot. Says a lot about RAM customer service in the DFW.
Meanwhile I have no loaner vehicle and have had to rent a car since there are no trucks for rent.
Yep i would call some dealers and see what kind of responces you get

ETX Ram

Reaction score
Sorry for you headaches man! That blows chunks! Ya next truck I buy will be from a different dealer than my last two purchases. Was told (not in writing) that I would have a loaner any time needed. Now not anymore. Prior dealership service department went down hill fast. Just too many vehicles to work on to my way of thinking.....

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks. If they aren't going to move totally broken down trucks to the front of the line they should AT LEAST be providing rental trucks of equal capability to those customers. Sucks man I'm sorry.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
good luck getting ramcares to call the dealer. I tried that with massive failure when I worked through the reimbursement process.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
I have called around, many dealers in the DFW area are backordered on diagnostics. Some say they can look at it, but the parts issue with these trucks is the problem. Either way, seems the customer care with Ram is just as much to blame as the service center. Dealing with a service center you get a real person if that helps. Dealing with Ram Cares, I have been told different stories every time. Today I was asked if I could have the service advisor call Ram Cares with my case number. That was it, just have dealer service guy call Ram Cares. No promises, nothing...
I'm in Lipan about an hour west of FW. Try getting it towed to either Bruner in Stephenville, Ram Country in Mineral Wells, or Stanley in Brownwood. They're a bit of a step outside the metroplex but it's not doing your much good sitting in the city. DFW city dealers are terrible and don't have the pull on the HD side simply because they don't sell the volume of HD trucks as the outlying agricultural area dealers. Both my 2020 and now my 2022 have been down due to serious part failure multiple times and have gone to Bruner every time. They usually have it diagnosed, fixed, and back to me within a week. Granted there's no guarantee that they'll be able to get a CP3 kit quickly, but they know what they're doing and they have pull.

flan

Reaction score
The kit you need is much different than the recall kit, I’d think with a 4% CP4 failure rate they would have the kits for grenaded pumps in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread