Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 HO Diesel vs Standard Diesel

unclelala

Reaction score
If you have not pulled a trailer with it yet why the hell would you be in tow haul lol
When I picked up my truck Sept. 2021 I was told by a couple of guys here to run the truck a while with tow haul mode and exhaust brake on to break in and learns the transmission.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have not pulled a trailer with it yet why the hell would you be in tow haul lol

Why the hell not?

TH improves braking and reduces wear on the pads, especially in town. I run mine in TH with full EB often just driving around town. I don't give two squirts about MPG in town, it makes no difference.

This constant "you're doing it wrong" on everyone's posts gets old h3lz.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I put it in tow haul and exhaust brake on to see how it slows down coming to a stop downhill to compare to my So Bighorn. previous truck slammed me in the rear major clunking. also clunked on takeoff. First noticed it pulling small 8ft. utility trailer last year. This HO is smooth as silk no clunking. previous trucks, 2008 mega cab 6.7, 2013 cc 6,7 ho SLT, 2016 cc 6.7 SO Longhorn, 2022 cc 6.7 SO bighorn. I am familiar with ram trucks.

I don't know about smooth as silk, but I have no complaints about how the HO/Aisin drives. None.

CFE

Reaction score
Just rolled over 15k miles on my HO, been daily driving it since last July - I love this truck.

groggy

Reaction score
I owned an SLT Ram 3500 HO 2013. First of major frame changes etc. The truck had major dead pedal on takeoff from stop. Not impressed at the time . My next two trucks were both SO. 2016 Longhorn 3500 and 2022 Bighorn 3500. No dead pedal in either , 2022 a bit faster than the 2016. I wasnt sure whether the new 2022 limited HO would have the same dead pedal. Most people that owned new HOs said they were good. I agree with with their opinions. I would say ii is alive pedal, very impressed. Goes like a scalded cat.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Can't complain about my Aisin. One of the main reasons I spec'd out the truck like I did was to get the Aisin. I was prepared for it to have harsh shifts but it's really pretty good, in my opinion. Downshifts near full throttle much better than the Allisons I've had. And it's got over 16k miles on it now so I'm optimistic that my snap ring is going to stay put.

jebruns

Reaction score
I put it in tow haul and exhaust brake on to see how it slows down coming to a stop downhill to compare to my So Bighorn. previous truck slammed me in the rear major clunking. also clunked on takeoff. First noticed it pulling small 8ft. utility trailer last year.
Sounds like something was wrong with your SO truck. Neither my 18 or 22 2500 SO's did any of that. Always very smooth shifting, up and down, towing or not. I do generally have the "auto" exhaust brake on towing or not, but I don't use TH much at all, even when towing. I follow the owners manual recommendations there, which say to only use TH if the truck is shifting a lot.

mcburt

Reaction score
Ordering a new 2022 Ram 3500 4x4 with 8’ bed to pull a 35‘ Solitude S Fifth Wheel. Can someone suggest which powertrain option I should go with. I see confusing information regarding the HO that indicates I may not need the higher HP and torque. Help please and thank you.
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 standard Cumins Deisel 4X4 with 8' bed. I pull 33-foot Jayco fifth wheel. I am with in 150 lb of being overweight. Payload only not any other weights. Limit 4155 and my payload traveling is 4005. Got to leave my mother in-law at home. Hope you have a dully with the higher payload because the 35' Solitude weight 1k more with a little heaver Pin weight. The standard Cumins motor and drivetrain are extremely strong, and I have no problems. The big problem with the weight is the motor. Might need to check the front axle weight with HO motor. My Standard FAW off the cat scale is 5340. And that is with the truck loaded for travel.

unclelala

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 standard Cumins Deisel 4X4 with 8' bed. I pull 33-foot Jayco fifth wheel. I am with in 150 lb of being overweight. Payload only not any other weights. Limit 4155 and my payload traveling is 4005. Got to leave my mother in-law at home. Hope you have a dully with the higher payload because the 35' Solitude weight 1k more with a little heaver Pin weight. The standard Cumins motor and drivetrain are extremely strong, and I have no problems. The big problem with the weight is the motor. Might need to check the front axle weight with HO motor. My Standard FAW off the cat scale is 5340. And that is with the truck loaded for travel.
Not sure if this is relevant but on a quick google search the SO is one pound heavier than the HO. Whats the loaded hitch weight on your Jayco ? Jayco's are usually a little beefier than most in their class no?

Bigtuna

Reaction score
I went SO this time. My new 22 is going to see daily driving duty on the week days, then tow on the weekends.

I went SO because only 1-2 mph difference adds up over time.

My 02 has compounds on it. Compound turbos are good for 2 things. Making big torque and tearing up your running gear

Glad to be in a more normal Cummins again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is relevant but on a quick google search the SO is one pound heavier than the HO. Whats the loaded hitch weight on your Jayco ? Jayco's are usually a little beefier than most in their class no?

HO is ~200lbs heavier than the SO.

That's primarily the Aisin and the larger BW-44-48 transfer case. the 12" rear adds a few pounds.

CFE

Reaction score
I owned an SLT Ram 3500 HO 2013. First of major frame changes etc. The truck had major dead pedal on takeoff from stop. Not impressed at the time . My next two trucks were both SO. 2016 Longhorn 3500 and 2022 Bighorn 3500. No dead pedal in either , 2022 a bit faster than the 2016. I wasnt sure whether the new 2022 limited HO would have the same dead pedal. Most people that owned new HOs said they were good. I agree with with their opinions. I would say ii is alive pedal, very impressed. Goes like a scalded cat.
my 3500 HO was slow out of the gate but I bought a pedal monster off of a gentleman on this forum and that's been a game changer as far as throttle response - my big bertha will get up and move from a red light for a big ass truck.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I went SO this time. My new 22 is going to see daily driving duty on the week days, then tow on the weekends.

I went SO because only 1-2 mph difference adds up over time.

My 02 has compounds on it. Compound turbos are good for 2 things. Making big torque and tearing up your running gear

Glad to be in a more normal Cummins again.

What does compounds have to do with the HO cummins? Also are you saying the HO is less than "normal?"

Bigtuna

Reaction score
What does compounds have to do with the HO cummins? Also are you saying the HO is less than "normal?"

Trucks that make big torque are harder on your drive train, tires and everything else.

While the HO is probably on the lower end of the spectrum compared to a highly modified 5.9 with compounds and big injectors. Plus the running gear components are more robust on the new rigs.

At the end of the day I’m just happy driving something that isn’t chewing everything up. I tow 2-4 hours every weekend and there was a price tag that is associated with big torque numbers.

Abnormal wear on tires, shaft seals that leak prematurely, transmission parts, etc. It’s was punishment. But the comparison is apple to oranges too.

To answer your question. Not very much. But there can be consequences to big torque numbers.

Bigtuna

Reaction score
On my new truck, the 68rfe has good road manors so far. But it takes time and many miles of use to get a fair feel for how a new rig is going to perform in the long run.

Most everything people review is “great” in the beginning. Then the real story comes out later.

I did a lot of back and forth between SO and HO. Initially in my shopping phase I said no way will I own another Chrysler transmission.

But realistically if you don’t modify your truck, race, or tow BIG weight on a normal basis the 68RFE should be fine for the majority of us.

But nothing wrong with wanting a HO for more power and torque.

Just realize for us with the 68RFE. If you tune Cummins in the future you may be repairing your transmission.

I intend on keeping my new rig stock all its life.

jebruns

Reaction score
Just realize for us with the 68RFE. If you tune Cummins in the future you may be repairing your transmission.
Agreed. I've been reading Ram forums pretty much every day for the last 3 years, since I bought my first Ram. I've paid attention to the blown 68RFE threads. I'd guess the percentage of the blown tranny trucks that were also tuned to be well into the 90% bracket. Sure, there is the occasional one that goes out in a stock truck, just like the Aisin. But it's not the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread