Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Dually with 6.4L? HEAVY truck camper question.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hell, the 3.6L V6 in my Gladiator can control 5k # down a mountain.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Actually bought RAM for hauling a truck camper, still had my TT at the time but sold it, got a camper but sold it too and looking again for a newer and bigger one. The camper was lightweight but I could definitely tell it was there in the back, couldn't say I felt my TT behind me so hauling a "brick wall" at speeds is more noticeable than towing 2-3 times heavier TT.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Hell, the 3.6L V6 in my Gladiator can control 5k # down a mountain.
A guy who bought my TT actually came to tow it away with his Jeep truck wannabe (gladiator), lol. The rear end squat was too much for my liking but he only looked at the numbers, his Jeep payload vs camper weight.

jsalbre

Reaction score
A guy who bought my TT actually came to tow it away with his Jeep truck wannabe (gladiator), lol. The rear end squat was too much for my liking but he only looked at the numbers, his Jeep payload vs camper weight.
Yeah, lack of towing knowledge abounds no matter what the vehicle. The Gladiator is fine for towing within its capabilities, when set up properly (WDH, etc). It won’t be fast once you start moving over about 4500# though.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
All this info is awesome and as we are still trying to figure out what we want to do, will then determine the size of truck. For example, if constantly winter camping, maybe a no slide option is better. If a washer and dryer is a must, then a heavy Host camper will be in the cards.

I am the kind of person that doesn't want to 'just get by' with a truck that is borderline capable.

Everything is still very up in the air but I see the advantage of the diesel. Money is always a consideration, however, we would be selling our home and going mostly full-time if going this route. Unfortunately, with price increases, a truck and camper will be $150,000 or more. A couple of years on the road then settle down somewhere.

jetrinka

Reaction score
All this info is awesome and as we are still trying to figure out what we want to do, will then determine the size of truck. For example, if constantly winter camping, maybe a no slide option is better. If a washer and dryer is a must, then a heavy Host camper will be in the cards.

I am the kind of person that doesn't want to 'just get by' with a truck that is borderline capable.

Everything is still very up in the air but I see the advantage of the diesel. Money is always a consideration, however, we would be selling our home and going mostly full-time if going this route. Unfortunately, with price increases, a truck and camper will be $150,000 or more. A couple of years on the road then settle down somewhere.
Curious why you wouldn't want a travel trailer instead? Just ease of parking anywhere and sleeping for the night?

I do love campers though. Our family had a big slide in that my father would load on his 75 F250 and we'd cruise to a campground somewhere. Love it as a kid.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
Curious why you wouldn't want a travel trailer instead? Just ease of parking anywhere and sleeping for the night?

I do love campers though. Our family had a big slide in that my father would load on his 75 F250 and we'd cruise to a campground somewhere. Love it as a kid.
We definitely are still considering this, especially since they are cheaper with more space. Since we will be winter camping, near ski resorts, I wanted a camper/van without the need to tow in bad weather. We are throwing around the idea of finding campgrounds open year round, parking a TT there for longer periods of time, and use the tow vehicle to get to the resort, etc. This may be a better option as long as there are open campgrounds in the winter but I do think a lot are open out West.

dtsequeira

Reaction score
We definitely are still considering this, especially since they are cheaper with more space. Since we will be winter camping, near ski resorts, I wanted a camper/van without the need to tow in bad weather. We are throwing around the idea of finding campgrounds open year round, parking a TT there for longer periods of time, and use the tow vehicle to get to the resort, etc. This may be a better option as long as there are open campgrounds in the winter but I do think a lot are open out West.
If you're using the camper for skiing then a slide in camper is definitely the way to go. I went with the gas route since I had numerous emissions issues with my last diesel which led to missed trips and downtime with my truck. I really wanted the Ford gas 7.3 but it wasn't out yet so I went from getting my diesel out of the shop straight to the Ram dealer and grabbed the last 6.4L on the lot. My buddy ended getting the same truck as me and he carries a large Arctic Fox 865 on his without issue. Both trucks haven't had any issues, just oil and filter changes.
My family and I drive to Mammoth mountain in the sierras about every other weekend during ski season with the camper. I boondock camp and never pay campground fees (prices have gone crazy since Covid) and I get front row camping at the resort parking lot which is nice to hang out and also a place for our dogs.

Last edited:

PotvinSux

Reaction score
If you're using the camper for skiing then a slide in camper is definitely the way to go. I went with the gas route since I had numerous emissions issues with my last diesel which led to missed trips and downtime with my truck. I really wanted the Ford gas 7.3 but it wasn't out yet so I went from getting my diesel out of the shop straight to the Ram dealer and grabbed the last 6.4L on the lot. My buddy ended getting the same truck as me and he carries a large Arctic Fox 865 on his without issue. Both trucks haven't had any issues, just oil and filter changes.
My family and I drive to Mammoth mountain in the sierras about every other weekend during ski season with the camper. I boondock camp and never pay campground fees (prices have gone crazy since Covid) and I get front row camping at the resort parking lot which is nice to hang out and also a place for out dogs.
This sounds awesome! Appreciate the input. A lighter option for a gasser is the Nucamp cirrus. It has the Alde heating which is something others don't do. Many options out there now but prices are getting crazy.

dtsequeira

Reaction score
This sounds awesome! Appreciate the input. A lighter option for a gasser is the Nucamp cirrus. It has the Alde heating which is something others don't do. Many options out there now but prices are getting crazy.
Yeah prices are out of control. some campers are more than double the price from just a few years back.

areuriding

Reaction score
Please enlighten me. My wife and I are narrowing down our retirement, RV travel search. We have become very interested in a truck camper due to the fact it's actually bigger than ' 4x4 AWD vans' and we would have Rams 4wd for winter use. Not to mention we can take the camper off and use the truck as a normal vehicle.

These big truck campers have a dry weight of 4,000 lbs and will be approaching low 5,000's with water/ equipment/us. My question is: If not towing, and buying this vehicle strictly for a truck camper, is the diesel worth the extra cost, weight, fuel costs, maintenance? I hope this isn't a stupid question since I know all 3500's DRW's are usually diesel. I am definitely not opposed to a diesel but would really like to know if this engine would make our lives easier when traveling.

All info will be appreciated.
DIESEL all the way, you'll regret no getting it and make sure to get a 3500.

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Yeah prices are out of control. some campers are more than double the price from just a few years back.

Watch for then to start coming back down to earth. Camper/trailer sales have been falling and forecast to keep falling through 2023. Looking to pick up a bed camper for skiing as well, but looking towards next year.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Watch for then to start coming back down to earth. Camper/trailer sales have been falling and forecast to keep falling through 2023. Looking to pick up a bed camper for skiing as well, but looking towards next year.

Hope you're right, I was unable to find a camper in my price range unless I lower my bracket and go with an old one which I don't want to do.
Sold my TT when the prices were still same but didn't buy a camper in time and now everything is way too expensive

Firebird

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What I am seeing, with looking at VINs on the Ram site, a 3500 DRW, Limited, Diesel only has a payload of low 5,000's. I would definitely be close to going over weight since some of these larger campers are 3800-4000 dry. The hemi 3500 has a payload near 6000 although I understand the positives of having diesel. Next option would be a 5500 cab and adding a flatbed or rethinking the whole thing..lol. I believe the F350 diesel is has slightly higher payload and the 7.3 gasser is even higher.
My dually 6.7 is just under 6000 pound payload

PotvinSux

Reaction score

Any particular model or brand that you are looking at? I've only heard of great things from owners with a Cirrus and Alde heating system.

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Any particular model or brand that you are looking at? I've only heard of great things from owners with a Cirrus and Alde heating system.

Still researching really. Also interested in some of the offroad capable teardrop type pull behinds. Pros and cons with both.

areuriding

Reaction score
Yeah, lol. Some of these things are massive and not sure if the extra 'space' is worth it. 3 slide campers are now a thing.
OMG, definitely will need a dually diesel. the 6.4 would get crushed over time.

Users who are viewing this thread