Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.0 twin turbo Hurricane motor

chas0218

Reaction score
Looks like the Wagoneer is going to be the flagship for this motor. I am really interested in how this engine will stack up against the hemi 5.7 and 6.4. I've got to imagine the MPG will be 2x or 3x the 6.4L with an extra 100 hp and ft.lbs. of torque. I am also very excited to see it in an inline 6 formation. If you don't already know the inline 6 is the best balanced setup for an engine. Being the timing chain won't be a mile long you won't be running into cam phase issues and being overhead cam there shouldn't be oiling issues if they did it right.

Firebird

Reaction score
I wonder how it will do as well. The V6 Ford Ecoboost has a good bit of power, but fuel economy is not stellar with it.

Riddick

Reaction score
Very interested to see more and more of these on the road. With over 500 hp available and 510 ft. lbs (HO version) this motor seems very capable. I am curious how it will do on fuel mileage, these motors run a ton of boost. The hurricanes will run 22 psi of boost on SO motors and 26 on HO motors, like the Ecoboost engines if you can stay out of boost they will be good. The Ford Ecoboost motors do get great mileage if you stay out of boost but once the turbos start working they are thirsty. However, considering how much boost the hurricanes make it sounds like they will constantly be working.

Another concern is the direct fuel injection, I don't think these have a secondary port injection system. A common issue with Direct Injection engines is the build up they cause on the intake valves. Not saying the hurricanes will suffer from this but curious how they hold up over time.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
That's one thing I don't understand about direct injection and build up on the back of the valves.
If all the fuel is being directly injected into the combustion chamber.
Then the only thing that should be in the air intake port is air.
Or is it because of a bad design and they have a PCV system of some sort in the air intake passage which is pulling oily air into it from the crankcase?

Riddick

Reaction score
That's one thing I don't understand about direct injection and build up on the back of the valves.
If all the fuel is being directly injected into the combustion chamber.
Then the only thing that should be in the air intake port is air.
Or is it because of a bad design and they have a PCV system of some sort in the air intake passage which is pulling oily air into it from the crankcase?

In my opinion the majority of the build up is from the PCV system. The PCV is routed back through the intake ports when the vapors/oil get into the intake ports they heat up and cause the build up issue (just before combustion). With a traditional port injection system the fuel is used to literally wash off the intake valves minimizing deposits. This is why Ford switched from direct injection only and now have a secondary port injection system.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So they misse ;) d the mark on the design.

They are not the only ones.
BMW did the same. They have a procedure to pull the intake and walnut blast the ports/back of the valves to clean off the build up.
Genesis and the 5.0l motor is the same.
Probably others as well.
Yes, a few have put in a secondary injector in the intake port to help, but I don't think it works all that great. But better than nothing.

One would think if they are going to build a better mouse trap, they should complete it. Not half as do it. There has to be a better way to scavenge the pressure from the crankcase and not dump the oily air into the intake.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement. Never been much of a fan of small displacement engines doing the work of a large one through the process of lots more fuel/air (heat) to get the job done. I'll happily be proved wrong but I'd wait a good many years before committing to one.

techman

Reaction score
I have the same engine design in my BMW's. Yes, the carbon build up can be an issue, but as long as you run them hard with sustained RPM periodically, it's not an issue. Lots of idling and crappy fuel will gunk up the back of the valves quickly. Using a oil catch-can on the emissions side can also help too. Maybe Dodge is using that in this case since they aren't using the port injector for the valves.

As soon as they show up in the Grand Cherokee, I'll be getting one. Then I will have four inline 6 turbos in my stable!

flan

Reaction score
Rumor had it going into the 24 Durango’s, IF the Durango is continued. I was shopping for a new family truckster and wasn’t a fan of the redesign on the Cherokee’s so I pulled the trigger and ordered a 23 Durango w/5.7 Hemi. I’ll let the bugs get worked out for a couple years and if the new suv doesn’t fit us I’ll see how the new I6 is doing. I loved their old 4.0 if it is as reliable as those and isn’t a nightmare to work on with all that stuffed into the engine bay it may be a great mill.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement. Never been much of a fan of small displacement engines doing the work of a large one through the process of lots more fuel/air (heat) to get the job done. I'll happily be proved wrong but I'd wait a good many years before committing to one.

lol….never. Thought I would stay in a newish Raptor as long as they made them, nope.
It’s hilarious when my buddy hooks the travel trailer to his Ford with a six.

WXman

Reaction score
Looks like the Wagoneer is going to be the flagship for this motor. I am really interested in how this engine will stack up against the hemi 5.7 and 6.4. I've got to imagine the MPG will be 2x or 3x the 6.4L with an extra 100 hp and ft.lbs. of torque. I am also very excited to see it in an inline 6 formation. If you don't already know the inline 6 is the best balanced setup for an engine. Being the timing chain won't be a mile long you won't be running into cam phase issues and being overhead cam there shouldn't be oiling issues if they did it right.

MPG will be equal when unloaded, and worse when loaded vs. a V8 gas engine. We've seen this over and over and over again with tiny displacement turbo-charged engines. Heck, Ford has even been sued over it multiple times. There will be ZERO fuel economy benefit to the Hurricane engine family.

Not to mention that the Hurricane has direct injection, forced induction, next gen EGR systems, etc. etc. that make it far more complicated than a Hemi. I've even read that there's no dipstick as lots of European engines are going that way and rely on a sensor to read oil level. Personally I would HATE that. I want to physically SEE that the oil level is correct.

Also, this is a light duty engine. I doubt that we will ever see it in HD pickup trucks. In the LONG distance future we might see it in a totally different form (similar to how the 6.4L truck Hemi and the "392" Hemi are totally different engines at totally different power levels) but that will be many years from now.

If you want a Hurricane in a Ram truck you'll have to buy a 2025 Ram 1500.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

No way will the fuel economy be 2-3 times that of a hemi, especially with 100hp more. HP takes fuel and it’s not feasible to expect that level of efficiency. 10% is probably a stretch, if any gains are noticed.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Also, this is a light duty engine. I doubt that we will ever see it in HD pickup trucks. In the LONG distance future we might see it in a totally different form (similar to how the 6.4L truck Hemi and the "392" Hemi are totally different engines at totally different power levels) but that will be many years from now.

If you want a Hurricane in a Ram truck you'll have to buy a 2025 Ram 1500.
What will the HD get then? If the Hemi is discontinued that leaves the Cummins as the only engine option.

Firebird

Reaction score
Can you imagine a 3.0 in a truck pulling a 10,000 pound camper? That thing would be spun up to the max, working it's butt off to move the weight!

techman

Reaction score
I've even read that there's no dipstick as lots of European engines are going that way and rely on a sensor to read oil level. Personally I would HATE that. I want to physically SEE that the oil level is correct.

Yep, no dipstick on most late model BMW's. It's weird to trust a sensor, but pretty much everything has a sensor these days. Think of how many we have in a modern car. Heck, the windshield washer fluid has a sensor in it!

Next there will be a sensor for each sensor to detect when the sensor fails..........

areuriding

Reaction score
In my opinion the majority of the build up is from the PCV system. The PCV is routed back through the intake ports when the vapors/oil get into the intake ports they heat up and cause the build up issue (just before combustion). With a traditional port injection system the fuel is used to literally wash off the intake valves minimizing deposits. This is why Ford switched from direct injection only and now have a secondary port injection system.
Running a catch can should eliminate this issue I would think. I run it on my cars and jeep, you wouldn't believe how much oil they collect, especially the Jeep. It's full every 3k miles when I change the oil I empty it.

Enve46

Reaction score
Dont expect fuel economy, there's already review channels that have reported on it and its just as bad as the 6.4. That said Im not hater on a good design inline 6 turbo engine. Im hopeful its a performer. BMW has had great success with their inline 6 turbos, they just haven't mastered the sound yet. Anything but EV.

Users who are viewing this thread