Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

275/65-20 or 285/65-20

Rkenna

Reaction score
F6F7515F-FC2D-4CFC-815B-D081D6E73CB9.jpeg
These are 285/75 R18 Toyo Open Country AT3 on my stock suspension ‘22 Longhorn if anyone wanted to know how it looked. I love it! Didn’t love the $1,600 price tag, but man am I happy to not hydroplane this winter!

Rkenna

Reaction score
I'm working on a similar decision, have stock 285/60-20 and wondering whether to go up to 285/65-20.

As I look over several of the tire and wheel threads, I see that most people seem to go with 18's. I know in the old days the thought was that the higher sidewalls gave a better ride and towed better, but I thought that over the past 10-15 years tires had improved to the point that there was very little functional difference, beyond off road performance. So I'm wondering, do people go with 18's more because of the look or for other reasons?
In the words of our rapper friend Tyga “too much rim make da ride too hard” I choose 18” because of the look. My Denali had 20’s and it rode just fine. ‍

Oneday997

Reaction score
Just posted in a separate thread, but like many, I had the same dilema of how big to go. Wanted to keep the stock wheels and no level for now, but wanted tires that 1) performed better than the terrible stock tires and 2) looked better on the truck. Went 285/65/20 Yoko Geolanders A/T G015. Haven't had them on long enough to comment much on the ride, but sure does look better. Just that extra 1" or so does the trick - looks like how it should have come stock imo. It's no a big difference in size, but they definitely give the truck more presence. Price on the Yokos was good, they had the M+S 3 peaks designtation for the Colorado snow so figured I'd give them a shot. Almost went with the Falken Wild Peak but found the Geolanders for $100 less per tire. I had earlier versions on a '16 Ram 2500 and was happy with them back then.

Attachments

• ram 1.jpg
    ram 1.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 122
  • ram 3.jpg
    ram 3.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 117
  • ram 2.jpg
    ram 2.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 117

Dave01

Reaction score
Well I ended up staying with the stock wheels, and put the Falken Wildpeak's on in stock size. I was going to go to to 285/65-20 but decided not to, I didn't want the 1/2" more height. I'm sure I'll end up changing my mind on that, we'll see. Next set of tires might end up going on different rims anyway but for now I'm happy with the result, and extremely happy with the snow and sleet traction.

230120 Ram 2500 #2.jpeg
230120 Ram 2500 #1.jpeg
230120 Ram 2500 #3.jpeg

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Good choice and they look fine. I did do a 2" leveling kit on my '22 3500 SRW and immediately switched the stock tires to the AT3 295 70 18 on the stock rims. I was a bit skeptical about going to that size, but my tire guy is also a good friend and he said we could put them on the truck and if I didn't like how they looked or they rubbed he'd swap 'em back and order 285's. Well, I like the look and they don't rub. Then, last week I was chatting with him about getting a set of Michelin Defenders (which I had on my '15 3500 and loved them, best tires I've ever owned) for summer towing. He said if I was interested in a set of brand new stock rims that are exactly like mine he'd make me a deal and mount the defenders on them. We decided we would swap straight across the rims for the stock Firestones and I'm picking the new set this afternoon. I thought we did some pretty good horse trading, and I don't have hassle with either storing the Firestones in the barn or trying to sell them. And since the Defenders are the same size as the AT3's I won't have/want/need to re-recalibrate my speedometer every time I swap them out.

Dave01

Reaction score
Nicely done on that deal! Also a great plan for winter/summer. I kind of had a plan, then screwed it up with this purchase, but I needed it put to rest and had decided I didn't want to buy rims at this time. BTW was on very slick highways last night, and out in snow today driving and plowing, and my initial reaction to the Falkens is they are incredibly good in snow. I was in 2wd most of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread