Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 with HO?

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Anybody know the real reasoning of not allowing 2500 buyers the option of the HO?
Or for that matter allowing the Aisin behind the std output cummins?
I like the idea of the full air rear on the 2500, but to not allow it to be equipped with the better drivetrain is ridiculous to me.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Take your pick:

FCA didn't think it was a necessary combination
FCA wants to maximize profits
Or
HO/Aisin combo would be more than the frame of the 2500 could handle

D

Deleted member 80

They make more money on the 68RFE that they build in-house, versus buying the Aisin. IMHO

jpaeth

Reaction score
Take your pick:

FCA didn't think it was a necessary combination
FCA wants to maximize profits
Or
HO/Aisin combo would be more than the frame of the 2500 could handle
I think it may be a bit of both. According to the towing guide looking at the 3500s, the HO/Aisin combo is 160lbs heavier than the standard output config. If you drop that off the 2500 diesels already small payload numbers you're starting to get firmly into half-ton territory.
Now also, the capability of the standard output combo is more than capable enough to make them competitive in the 2500 market, all while maximizing the profit they make from the truck.

Don-T

Reaction score
The standard Cummins and 68RFE combination is more than capable to hauling anything the 10 GVW can legally handle so why make the payload even less than it is by adding a heavier drivetrain? I suspect it would require additional changes/weight to handle the HO Cummins which would make the truck less capable than it is instead of better.

CumminsTwang

Reaction score
The HO Cummins with the AISIN Trans has a higher capacity than the 2500 Axles can handle...over the life of the vehicle... Therefore, if they put the HO and AISIN in the 2500, it would almost certainly create warranty claims and an upset customer base. Besides, you can calibrate the trans and engine to make as much/more power and torque than the HO... With that, you can calibrate the trans to better utilize the performance increase and provide an improved drivability experience.

Users who are viewing this thread