Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 CCSB 6.4L 4.10 and 5th Wheel HELP

lgarrison34

Reaction score
I am buying a Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS. The trucks payload is 2858 and towing capacity is 17,000. The trailers hitch weight is 2180 and dry weight is 11,368. Will I be okay to haul this with my setup? I should be just within my max payload once the hitch is in the bed and passengers/cargo. Should I be overly concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am buying a Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS. The trucks payload is 2858 and towing capacity is 17,000. The trailers hitch weight is 2180 and dry weight is 11,368. Will I be okay to haul this with my setup? I should be just within my max payload once the hitch is in the bed and passengers/cargo. Should I be overly concerned?

You will be fine mechanically but legally it could be risky if in an accident depending on your location, i am commonly over my max payload without issue but you need to be the one to make that decision

Firebird

Reaction score

The 6.4 with 4.10 gears is an outstanding gas HD! It is what I just traded in, loved the truck, but just couldn’t pass up the trade deal I received here recently. It will definitely pull it, but you will be on the upper end of it’s capacity. I had similar capacities, but my camper is only 9000 pounds. Depending on terrain, and where you plan on camping, you may be getting a little heavy with that camper.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with that setup. I doubt you will be loading the trailer with 5000 lbs of cargo. Try not to put much cargo in the bedroom to keep the bed weight down. I think the only problem you will have is passing up a gas station.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
One trick ypu can do is if you bave a rear mounted fresh water tank you can fill it to reduce the pin weight slightly, my fresh tank is 45gal at the very back of the trailer so thats 360 lbs of water so even if it takes 1/2 of that off the pin its better than nothing

Firebird

Reaction score
One trick ypu can do is if you bave a rear mounted fresh water tank you can fill it to reduce the pin weight slightly, my fresh tank is 45gal at the very back of the trailer so thats 360 lbs of water so even if it takes 1/2 of that off the pin its better than nothing
My buddy did that for his Ecodiesel, and the fishtailing was so bad, he had to pull off the road. Maybe he had other factors in play, but it was serious pucker factor for him

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My buddy did that for his Ecodiesel, and the fishtailing was so bad, he had to pull off the road. Maybe he had other factors in play, but it was serious pucker factor for him
With a 5th wheel? That would be very strange as the weight of the water wont overcome the hitch weight to that extent that i could see

Firebird

Reaction score
With a 5th wheel? That would be very strange as the weight of the water wont overcome the hitch weight to that extent that i could see
Sorry, brain fart on my part, bumper pull.

Pronto

Reaction score
I don't see how you won't be over your GVWR if legalities are your concern. 678 lbs of payload is going to go fast when you start loading up. Is your hitch from the factory? I weighed my truck last week and was surprised that it had gained 300 lbs from the factory. I weighed with full fuel, no driver or passengers, but all the crap I normally keep in my truck. Once I started adding up stuff like bigger tires, the hitch, and all the crap I carry in my Ramboxes, 300 lbs didn't seem so far off.

raven_dt

Reaction score

Never use the dry weight, use gross weight to be conservative.

Users who are viewing this thread