Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'22 Laramie 2500 Diesel Few issues

Wilder

Reaction score
Hi, I've had my '22 truck for 1 month, and just rolled over 4000 miles. I've noticed a few issues, wondering if anyone else has run into these? Should I take it in for warranty or is it a waste of time? 2 of the items seem to be intermittent, so I highly doubt the dealer will be able to replicate. Are any of these expected behavior?

1. DPF gauge in the cluster - It always reads 0. I have never seen a regen message in 4000 miles. I just filled the DEF tank for the 2nd time, so it is using 5Gal of DEF pretty much every 2000 miles.

2 "Service 4WD" message in the dash - one day I was driving in a snow storm, so I had the truck in 4wd. (It was already in 4WD when I started the truck) I was pulling into a parking lot that was very well plowed, so I pushed the "2WD" to allow the truck to turn without binding. The light flashed for a few seconds and it shifted into 2WD, but a "Service 4WD" message popped up. The truck was then stuck in 2WD, none of the buttons did anything. I was able to get it back into 4WD after turning the truck off and restarting, and this hasn't happened since. This one makes me nervous because it could lead to me getting stuck, but I have since been unable to replicate the problem. Is there anything that is known to cause this?

3. Exhaust brake - several times I have engaged the exhaust brake to "full" going down a hill, and with my foot off the gas, the brake doesn't engage. I then slow down the truck with the brake pedal, cycle the Exhaust Brake button, and sometimes it starts working, sometimes it doesnt. Once it starts working, it keeps working until the truck is turned off. This doesn't happen every time i try to use the exhaust brake, maybe 25% of the time. Odds are if i bring it to the dealer they will be unable to replicate the problem

4. Temp guages on the "Offroad" Page in UConnect 5 - some of these don't work, but they do work in the cluster display

5. Wireless charger - mine is nearly unusable, the light turns red flashing and it stops charging after a few minutes. I have tried various different model phones, case on, and off. Does this work for anyone? Warranty issue or bad design?

flan

Reaction score
Absolutely bring it in. I’d probably copy and paste your concerns to Microsoft word or similar print it out and give it to the service advisor when you do. Good description of problems to help the tech diagnose your issues.

DellaRed

Reaction score
Yes, the #3 item has pissed me off. When I most want the FULL Exhaust Brake to come on it seems to not come on! Then, after driving some more, it starts working. ???
3. Exhaust brake - several times I have engaged the exhaust brake to "full" going down a hill, and with my foot off the gas, the brake doesn't engage. I then slow down the truck with the brake pedal, cycle the Exhaust Brake button, and sometimes it starts working, sometimes it doesnt. Once it starts working, it keeps working until the truck is turned off. This doesn't happen every time i try to use the exhaust brake, maybe 25% of the time. Odds are if i bring it to the dealer they will be unable to replicate the problem

MEGA HO

Reaction score
EB won't come on at low RPMs, try T/H mode together with EB, T/H would raise shift points and make EB more efficient and if your EB is still acting up with T/H on then you sure have a problem.

Wilder

Reaction score
EB won't come on at low RPMs, try T/H mode together with EB, T/H would raise shift points and make EB more efficient and if your EB is still acting up with T/H on then you sure have a problem.
I actually am still having this problem, need to schedule a warranty appointment. I recently went up the Mt. Washington auto road in NH, and i wanted to use the exhaust brake. I tried every combination i could, Auto/Full, TH on/off, and set the gear limit to 1/2 or 3, and it absolutely would not engage, and i had to ride my brakes all the way down the mountain. Once i got out on the highway it started working again. I wasn't towing, but i had quite a bit of weight of firewood in the bed.

The engine was off right before i started down the hill but it was certainly up to temperature, I was working it climbing the hill in the first place, and the descent takes like 15-20 minutes.

Funny how it wasn't working right when i needed it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
1) The DPF gauge can always read 0 depending on your driving style. I.E. all interstate or all towing and it's unlikely it will come off of 0%. The regens are quick, about 10-15 minutes, and will occur every 24 hours of engine runtime. It's easy to miss the message and/or not hear the engine tone change during active regen. So unless you come back saying you do primarily city driving I don't think there is an issue.

1.5) DEF has nothing do to with DPF, so I separated your answers. You're reporting about 400 mpg DEF, which seems pretty close to normal for these 19+ motors especially if you're towing often. Are you filling at the pump or with a box? I have an HO buy my DEF consumption has averaged 495 mpg with 52% towing and an average MPG of 11.7.

3) The torque converter has to be locked for the EB to work. I have the Aisin so can't compare programming, but I have seen times where the converter is unlocked when I think it should be locked... not often thou and it usually locks up quickly.

2, 4,5) Valid warranty issues.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Check fuses and relays and ensure they are all pushed fully into their sockets.

flan

Reaction score
I actually am still having this problem, need to schedule a warranty appointment. I recently went up the Mt. Washington auto road in NH, and i wanted to use the exhaust brake. I tried every combination i could, Auto/Full, TH on/off, and set the gear limit to 1/2 or 3, and it absolutely would not engage, and i had to ride my brakes all the way down the mountain. Once i got out on the highway it started working again. I wasn't towing, but i had quite a bit of weight of firewood in the bed.

The engine was off right before i started down the hill but it was certainly up to temperature, I was working it climbing the hill in the first place, and the descent takes like 15-20 minutes.

Funny how it wasn't working right when i needed it.
I’ve been on the auto road twice with my truck as well, it just won’t work in that situation because of gear selection. I had mine between gears 1-3 depending on grade and used my brakes very little...

Nd79

Reaction score
One way I can sure fire engage the EB is to have it in tow haul mode and either EB setting, then very lightly rest my foot on the brake pedal letting the truck "know" I want to slow down. If on flat ground and after a good down shift with EB in auto, you should be able to feel the downshift, Exhaust Brake engage, then lift off the brake while still in higher RPM and you'll feel the difference as the EB disengages. Again Auto EB on flat ground, all with very light braking.

Might be a good test for your truck to see if it's working properly and you can reliably get it to engage.

yorken99

Reaction score
1) The DPF gauge can always read 0 depending on your driving style. I.E. all interstate or all towing and it's unlikely it will come off of 0%. The regens are quick, about 10-15 minutes, and will occur every 24 hours of engine runtime. It's easy to miss the message and/or not hear the engine tone change during active regen. So unless you come back saying you do primarily city driving I don't think there is an issue.

1.5) DEF has nothing do to with DPF, so I separated your answers. You're reporting about 400 mpg DEF, which seems pretty close to normal for these 19+ motors especially if you're towing often. Are you filling at the pump or with a box? I have an HO buy my DEF consumption has averaged 495 mpg with 52% towing and an average MPG of 11.7.

3) The torque converter has to be locked for the EB to work. I have the Aisin so can't compare programming, but I have seen times where the converter is unlocked when I think it should be locked... not often thou and it usually locks up quickly.

2, 4,5) Valid warranty issues.
This is exactly my experience. Couldn't figure out why the EB would not engage sometimes going downhill. Figured out that the Torque Converter had to lock-up before the EB would work. Sometimes I have to slightly accelerate going downhill to get the TC to lock-up and then the EB will engage. Hope this helps. I have the 68RFE

Riddick

Reaction score
As stated above the torque converter needs to be engaged. If you are waiting until you are on the brakes to engage your EB chances are it will not work. If you think you will need your EB turn it on when you start the truck or well before you think you will need it.

Users who are viewing this thread