Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'21 3500 Rear Air Suspension - Smoooth Ride!

Nick

Reaction score
I read the PDF . They say 3500 but they are talking front and rear . Probably used on a 2500 also . It is simple enough to do . Basically just changing the angle of the sensor arm one way to lift and the other way to lower . Post how it worked out for you .

Dunn08

Reaction score
I have a set installed, and you can set them a bit shorter than the stock arms, which resulted in my bags feeling completely empty.

2022 Flame Red Night Edition DRW Laramie 3500.
H/O w/ Aisin. Carli Lift, Thuren Steering. TIS Off-road 544BM Wheels w/ Ridge Grapplers.

Nick

Reaction score
W Laramie 3500.
H/O w/ Aisin. Carli Lift, Thuren Steering. TIS Off-road 544BM Wheels w/ Ridge Grapplers.
How was the ride and will they fill to the proper alt ride height level when hooked to a trailer ?

Dunn08

Reaction score
How was the ride and will they fill to the proper alt ride height level when hooked to a trailer ?

I planned on hooking to my 42ft toy hauler this weekend to test that out and play with it a little. Unfortunately I won’t get it back from getting PPF and ceramic coated until next week sometime.

I will definitely hook up next weekend and report back with pics and info.

I need more seat time before I report on ride quality. I haven’t driven it since I picked it up, until yesterday to the alignment shop and today to the detailer. Want that film on the front before I start driving to work and get rocks thrown at me.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Have you tried "alternate ride height" after you hook up? On my truck, ARH drops the rear by almost exactly 1.5" vs standard height.
Yes. Using alternate ride height. Still trailer is nose high.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have a set installed, and you can set them a bit shorter than the stock arms, which resulted in my bags feeling completely empty.

2022 Flame Red Night Edition DRW Laramie 3500.
Installed a set on mine. Unloaded no change due to leaf springs. When I select alternate trailer height I get “selected height not allowed due to payload “. Will know more when I tow fifth wheel. I did have to shorten the rods since they were as long as the OEM rods at the shortest length. No big deal. Cut off about 3/4 inch so they are now adjusted to 3/4 inch shorter than stock rods. Easy install. Be sure to press firmly to seat the ball. Popping over the weather seal my lead you to think the thing is installed but a firm press is needed to actually seat the ball into the socket. The photo actually shows the links installed INCORRECTLY. They were not installed in the socket even though it felt like it. They were just slipped over the weather seals and required additional pressure to seat them in the sockets.24BD45E0-A3B1-461F-AA79-697E350529BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Dunn08

Reaction score
That’s interesting, mine can be set about a 1/2” shorter than stock before they bottom out. With that being said, when I get my truck back I’m going to cut a little off as well. With your arms angled down, I assume your bags are pretty empty. You can try bed lowering mode to see if you drop anymore. Mine didn’t.

CdnHO

Reaction score
That’s interesting, mine can be set about a 1/2” shorter than stock before they bottom out. With that being said, when I get my truck back I’m going to cut a little off as well. With your arms angled down, I assume your bags are pretty empty. You can try bed lowering mode to see if you drop anymore. Mine didn’t.
Not likely that bed lowering will do anything although it did drop about 3/4 in with alternate trailer height. But after the error message, it went right back up. Not enough weight in the bed probably.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not likely that bed lowering will do anything although it did drop about 3/4 in with alternate trailer height. But after the error message, it went right back up. Not enough weight in the bed probably.
I've read it takes 600lbs to operate. Mine drops 1 1/4" with my 1200lb hitch weight

Nick

Reaction score
Installed a set on mine. Unloaded no change due to leaf springs. When I select alternate trailer height I get “selected height not allowed due to payload “. Will know more when I tow fifth wheel. I did have to shorten the rods since they were as long as the OEM rods at the shortest length. No big deal. Cut off about 3/4 inch so they are now adjusted to 3/4 inch shorter than stock rods. Easy install.View attachment 27333
It will say that if you do not have a load on the truck . They look good . Basically a turn buckle setup

Nick

Reaction score
Yes. Using alternate ride height. Still trailer is nose high.
You may have to come up with some suspension mods to get your fiver up. Had to do a couple of things on mine to get it higher . It is only 14 k loaded yours would be more or a challenge .

CdnHO

Reaction score
You may have to come up with some suspension mods to get your fiver up. Had to do a couple of things on mine to get it higher . It is only 14 k loaded yours would be more or a challenge .
Would be pretty difficult to modify this trailer suspension. Has the MorRyde equalizers. The springs are only connected at one end with a slipper arrangement at the equalizer end. Only way would be to extend the hanger plates which would entail some major surgery. Hopefully the adjustable links will bring the nose down to a point that is acceptable. I doubt I will be able to get it perfectly level; however any improvement is a good thing.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Their instructions are confusing at best. I cannot find instructions that specifically address 3500 trucks with air suspensions. I bought a pair to lower my rear end an inch or two to give me a more level fifth wheel trailer. I have not installed them yet so hoping it works. They are however rediculously priced for what they are. But they are the only option I could find.
You will have to cut a little bit of the threaded rod off to shorten the links enough to take all the air out of the bags because they are same length as factory totally closed up. I did this and got about 3/4" drop but that is it , Would have to raise the front end of the truck 3/4" if i wanted it totally level.

CdnHO

Reaction score
At bottom out, mine were maybe an 1/8 inch shorter.

CdnHO

Reaction score
You will have to cut a little bit of the threaded rod off to shorten the links enough to take all the air out of the bags because they are same length as factory totally closed up. I did this and got about 3/4" drop but that is it , Would have to raise the front end of the truck 3/4" if i wanted it totally level.
My links are about 3/4 inch shorter than factory after cutting the threaded rod. The rear drops by 1/2 inch when set to "bed lowering mode" but goes up again when "bed lowering" mode is turned off. Leads me to believe that there is normally a certain amount of residual pressure in the bags; probably to protect them. "Bed lowering" also turns off when starting to move at I think 5 mph. Would love to see the technical info on the system. Just guessing at this point how it all works.

love2build

Reaction score
My 22 is in for some minor issues. I did inquire about the difference in bag pressure from side to side as my drivers is a bit more inflated than passenger. I was told that due to fuel tank and driver weight etc that the drivers bag would always be as it is. I admit it makes some sense to me however I would like to see how the truck rides without air at all in the bags and will adjust myself later on like indicated earlier in this thread. At this time I’m not interested in the links as my truck sits fine as it is.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My 22 is in for some minor issues. I did inquire about the difference in bag pressure from side to side as my drivers is a bit more inflated than passenger. I was told that due to fuel tank and driver weight etc that the drivers bag would always be as it is. I admit it makes some sense to me however I would like to see how the truck rides without air at all in the bags and will adjust myself later on like indicated earlier in this thread. At this time I’m not interested in the links as my truck sits fine as it is.
Your dealer is correct, however, from the factory my truck was over compensating.
My 2020 driver side sat 1 1/2" higher than the passenger side and the driver side had more air (harder) I adjusted the driver side bracket and now the driver side, with 50 gal fuel tank half full and driver seat empty, sits 3/4" higher and both bags feel about the same. I'm satisfied.

I might add that the bracket bolt holes were not elongated as was mentioned above. Both were round and a bit oversized, allowing for a very small amount of adjustment. If I need more adjustment, I would have to buy the aftermarket adjustable inks

Linked4door

Reaction score
Installed a set on mine. Unloaded no change due to leaf springs. When I select alternate trailer height I get “selected height not allowed due to payload “. Will know more when I tow fifth wheel. I did have to shorten the rods since they were as long as the OEM rods at the shortest length. No big deal. Cut off about 3/4 inch so they are now adjusted to 3/4 inch shorter than stock rods. Easy install. Be sure to press firmly to seat the ball. Popping over the weather seal my lead you to think the thing is installed but a firm press is needed to actually seat the ball into the socket.View attachment 27333

Either of you guys have a eye to eye measurement of the stock rods? Or the length or the rod after it was cut? I just got my adjustable links and want to cut them down if needed before I fly down to pick up my truck tomorrow. Want to cut off the least amount possible.

Users who are viewing this thread