Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Truck Details

TyDwyer51

Reaction score
Makes me want to hold out on my 2024 and see what the mid year might be, haha.
Can side with this . Looking at replacing my 2010 with a new 24 but don’t know if I wanna pull the trigger just yet. The fact of an 8 speed sounds promising but hate to hold out for a few years and get burned.

jebruns

Reaction score
Can side with this . Looking at replacing my 2010 with a new 24 but don’t know if I wanna pull the trigger just yet. The fact of an 8 speed sounds promising but hate to hold out for a few years and get burned.
Then there is the reliability concern around a 1st year tranny too. And likely nobody will know how to work on them or debug them. I've gotten burned over the years from 1st year major changes. I don't do that anymore.

jkempken

Reaction score
Then there is the reliability concern around a 1st year tranny too. And likely nobody will know how to work on them or debug them. I've gotten burned over the years from 1st year major changes. I don't do that anymore.
A lot of people got burned on the 22 Aisin as well and that was a proven tranny for about 10 years until a manufacturing issue happened. We will have to wait and see what they come out with but I wont be doing a 2025 since I am still pretty happy with my late MY20 and would like to have it payed off before I go and buy another 100k plus truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I dunno, if it's a hardened high torque capable ZF 8 speed, we already have the basic trans behind the Hemi's and a proven track record there. The skip shift and rolling D-R-D gear changes are new so there's that I suppose.

jebruns

Reaction score
I dunno, if it's a hardened high torque capable ZF 8 speed, we already have the basic trans behind the Hemi's and a proven track record there. The skip shift and rolling D-R-D gear changes are new so there's that I suppose.
Oh, it being new won't scare away many buyers. Could even increase interest. And I will be grateful to them for helping debug any issues before I'd be willing to take the chance. I've had good and bad luck over the years buying first year stuff. Had a new first year Duramax. Perfect truck, wish I'd neve sold it. Had a new first year Ford 6.0 PSD. Lemon lawed that one inside a year. Overall, I've had enough issues with first year stuff, I just won't take that risk anymore. I'd prefer the last year of production of the old model actually, since the bugs are pretty all sorted out by then. But I know that's just me.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Oh, it being new won't scare away many buyers. Could even increase interest. And I will be grateful to them for helping debug any issues before I'd be willing to take the chance. I've had good and bad luck over the years buying first year stuff. Had a new first year Duramax. Perfect truck, wish I'd neve sold it. Had a new first year Ford 6.0 PSD. Lemon lawed that one inside a year. Overall, I've had enough issues with first year stuff, I just won't take that risk anymore. I'd prefer the last year of production of the old model actually, since the bugs are pretty all sorted out by then. But I know that's just me.

those first year duramax/allison combos would downshift when a slight headwind would blow...good trucks nonetheless

jsalbre

Reaction score
It never made much sense that they did not offer it on the Limited trims for 2023. I don't see that they saved anything on that.
My assumption is that It was mostly due to parts availability.

Jay P

Reaction score
Didn't they also have a propensity to overheat, or was that just one of the new gen Dirtymax engines?
It was the 2nd gen (LLY) thru 4th gen (LMM) that had heat issues. LML and newer are fine. There were 2 issues. Borderline cooling stack and they seemed to collect dirt/leaves etc between the CAC and the radiator.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It was the 2nd gen (LLY) thru 4th gen (LMM) that had heat issues. LML and newer are fine. There were 2 issues. Borderline cooling stack and they seemed to collect dirt/leaves etc between the CAC and the radiator.

Sounds like the HVAC engineers for RAM took a page out of their playbook. :)

phatboy64

Reaction score
What cracks me up is I remember when I was ordering my 2014 back in 2013 and everyone was saying “ I hope next year they will have the Allison“, and have kept saying that for the past 10 years…

Users who are viewing this thread