Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Power Wagon GVWR

jenninr

Reaction score
I was looking they the 2023 order guides that were posted here and saw something that I didn't expect. I'm the standard equipment section the Power Wagon is listed with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. This is interesting if correct. I figure it's a mistake though. The last column in this screenshot is the Power Wagon you can look at the "Grill Surround Power Wagon" line to confirm that.Screenshot_20220924-220112.png

MEGA HO

Reaction score
What's interesting about it? It's based on RAM2500, should the GVWR be any different?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
That's interesting and explains the dismal payload numbers I hear about

DrTron

Reaction score
That's interesting and explains the dismal payload numbers I hear about
It's not a bug, it's a feature. Well, rather a necessity.
With softer suspension on the PW, and about the same curb weight as the other 2500's with stiffer springs and ride, payload has to be lower. It's just one way or the other.

jadmt

Reaction score
…low payload indeed and thankfully, trucks with high numbers ride intolerably imo
just got back from a 250 mile ride in my buddy’s 2022 super duty and really nice ride. Even my wife commented how comfortable was. I would love the extra 1200lbs of payload he has over mine.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
just got back from a 250 mile ride in my buddy’s 2022 super duty and really nice ride. Even my wife commented how comfortable was. I would love the extra 1200lbs of payload he has over mine.

Good news because nobody wants to ride/drive around in them on our deer fields, historically…maybe they changed something.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if it's a typo or if they made a change?

jsalbre

Reaction score
i would bet a typo. maybe it is the 2500 rebel package..wasn't that supposed to get the pw grill?
I tend to agree with you. Hard to say about the rebel for sure, but my guess from what we've seen so far would be most of the PW's appearance stuff, the lockers, maybe the swybar, and likely the "off-road" suspension from the other trims to keep towing up.

el_barto

Reaction score
It does! As long as you get the Hemi of course. Can't have the winch with the Cummins as the intercooler is in the way.
Press release made it sound like winch is “option” on gas Rebel

Redfour5

Reaction score
What's interesting about it? It's based on RAM2500, should the GVWR be any different?
Yes, the power wagon is a less particularly on payload which is roughly equal to a loaded 1500. THAT is primarily because of the front locker system on the Power Wagons. This was confirmed recently by the introduction of the new Rebel 2500. That one has the "real"locker but NO "real" front locker and you can get a winch with a 6.4 Hemi AND it has a 10Kish tow rating and a bigger payload. The Rebel is like a 4WD package upgraded or a Power Wagon lite depending upon how you look at it. Ram is trying to look at it as a Power Wagon lite as they "talk" about the new Rebel's parentage, so to speak, as a Power Wagon. The main distinction is that the Rebel is rated to tow whereas a pure Power Wagon is meant to go off road as primary functions.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes, the power wagon is a less particularly on payload which is roughly equal to a loaded 1500. THAT is primarily because of the front locker system on the Power Wagons. This was confirmed recently by the introduction of the new Rebel 2500. That one has the "real"locker but NO "real" front locker and you can get a winch with a 6.4 Hemi AND it has a 10Kish tow rating and a bigger payload. The Rebel is like a 4WD package upgraded or a Power Wagon lite depending upon how you look at it. Ram is trying to look at it as a Power Wagon lite as they "talk" about the new Rebel's parentage, so to speak, as a Power Wagon. The main distinction is that the Rebel is rated to tow whereas a pure Power Wagon is meant to go off road as primary functions.
The lower GVWR on the Power Wagon has nothing to do with the front locker, it’s entirely due to the much softer springs and articu-link radius arms.

DrTron

Reaction score
The lower GVWR on the Power Wagon has nothing to do with the front locker, it’s entirely due to the much softer springs and articu-link radius arms.
I agree, the locker should have nothing to do with the GVWR.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I agree, the locker should have nothing to do with the GVWR.
I misspoke and was wrong as I referenced a specific item that is likely a lesser aspect of the payload reduction. Sorry. It apparently is the "whole package" with the springs likely being the key contributor but the entire suspension as a whole that the "Rebel" does not have is in play for the reduction. Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

"Its suspension was specifically designed (FCA’s RAM engineers threw millions of dollars at it) for this type of terrain by including Bilstein shocks, modified control arms, softer spring rates, more than two inches of lift, and Power Wagon’s exclusive Articulink design. Articulink incorporates high movement joints at the control-arm-to-axle mount, allowing for additional flexibility and extended axle articulation. Second, additional front-axle flex is possible with the driver-actuated “Smart Bar” disengagement. This front sway-bar disconnect is possible in both 4WD-High and Low transfer case gearing when traveling under 18 mph."

TFL notes "The suspension uses a single rate coil springs and tuning to provide very good off-road articulation and a comfortable on-road ride. There is a compromise, and it comes as a decreased payload and towing capacities."

DrTron

Reaction score
Ironically, the softer suspension was the main reason for me to choose a PW over a regular 2500. I don't need to tow or haul heavy loads, and didn't want the harsh ride of the normal 2500's geared toward that.

Users who are viewing this thread