Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 HD Crowdsourced Order Tracking & Waiting Room

pr3dict

Reaction score
The 10 speed sucks. Maybe I am old school in thinking a high torque engine with a 3k redline doesn’t need to shift so much.
Idk I towed my new 5th wheel with a rental ram 3500 dually a few weeks ago from Wisconsin to ohio... Then the truck broke and I got a ford f350 10 speed SRW to go from ohio to NJ and I almost feel like the f350 towed better.

Though I was on 3 hours of sleep after driving for being awake for like 32 hours before that so my recollection may be skewed.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
There’s bad press on the 10 speed too, just do some digging.

I ordered a ram because they look the best inside and out. I also didn’t want a V8, I wanted an i6. The Ford, which has the best stats, is what people view as better (grass is greener view)
The Ford interior sucks, I don’t care if I get massages or not.

My point, people will get what they want. If people want to drive around in a chromed up truck, by all means go for it. I wouldn’t buy one.

His Dudeness

Reaction score
There’s bad press on the 10 speed too, just do some digging.

I ordered a ram because they look the best inside and out. I also didn’t want a V8, I wanted an i6. The Ford, which has the best stats, is what people view as better (grass is greener view)
The Ford interior sucks, I don’t care if I get massages or not.

My point, people will get what they want. If people want to drive around in a chromed up truck, by all means go for it. I wouldn’t buy one.
Agreed 100%. The new ford's are not good looking trucks imo either. And I'm leaving a '16 powerstroke to go with RAM.

BSN81

Reaction score
Agreed 100%. The new ford's are not good looking trucks imo either. And I'm leaving a '16 powerstroke to go with RAM.
I am, or was a Chevy guy, until I went to buy a HD in 2020. I sat in a 2020 Chevy 2500, then went and sat in and drove a 2020 Ram 2500 and that was enough for me. Ram won my heart and $$. Now I'm buying another Ram HD.

cjh1669

Reaction score
The 10 speed sucks. Maybe I am old school in thinking a high torque engine with a 3k redline doesn’t need to shift so much.
Definitely old school, my buddies super c with a 10 speed way out pulls his old super c with a 6 through mountains. It’s just more efficient, lot more gears to use at different ranges of power, better acceleration

cjh1669

Reaction score
I am, or was a Chevy guy, until I went to buy a HD in 2020. I sat in a 2020 Chevy 2500, then went and sat in and drove a 2020 Ram 2500 and that was enough for me. Ram won my heart and $$. Now I'm buying another Ram HD.
I chose a 19 ram over both a 19 ford and 19 gmc. Mostly due to interior. Gmc akways felt had a smaller cabin. That’s changed a lot, and the Denali ultimate interior is pretty nice

Ironsides77

Reaction score
Definitely old school, my buddies super c with a 10 speed way out pulls his old super c with a 6 through mountains. It’s just more efficient, lot more gears to use at different ranges of power, better acceleration

You’re saying his old crappy ford was outperformed by his new crappy ford? :)

I drove a 10 speed expedition max a couple thousand miles and it was enough to never want to drive an 10 speed again. Ever.

Our 35,000 pound fire engines have 5 speeds and they perform just fine.

cjh1669

Reaction score
You’re saying his old crappy ford was outperformed by his new crappy ford? :)

I drove a 10 speed expedition max a couple thousand miles and it was enough to never want to drive an 10 speed again. Ever.

Our 35,000 pound fire engines have 5 speeds and they perform just fine.
You’re really going to hate when ram follow suit and has a 10 speed too. The biggest issue rams have had for years has been their transmissions.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
You’re really going to hate when ram follow suit and has a 10 speed too. The biggest issue rams have had for years has been their transmissions.
Glad I’m getting one with a 6 while I can.

It’s just like the digital clusters and everything else in the automotive industry. Who knows if they’ll even go with a 10 speed before they’re fully electric.

Sorry for the side bar.
I’m off my soap box now! Haha

cjh1669

Reaction score
Glad I’m getting one with a 6 while I can.

It’s just like the digital clusters and everything else in the automotive industry. Who knows if they’ll even go with a 10 speed before they’re fully electric.

Sorry for the side bar.
I’m off my soap box now! Haha
Electric cars are great daily drivers, but useless for long trips. They are a ways, technology wise, away from that. Add in towing …. It’d take you days to go more than 500 miles. You’d be spending an hour and a half charging every hundred miles

hexplor1

Reaction score
I agree about the Ford 10-speed trannies. I owned a 2021 F-250 with the 7.3 gas (Godzilla) motor, but it still couldn't tow my TT with ease like I was hoping for. So, I sold it at the height of the used truck market and have a 2023 Big Horn on order. In the interim, I test drove a 2022 F-350 Powerstroke with the 10-speed (same tranny as the 7.3 gas), and they both hunt gears and are too busy for my liking. The way things are going, I may buy a 2022 Ram once the 68RFE recalls are done. There are actually some good deals to be had right now, if you can find a dealer who will list inventory. I think most dealers have pulled their HD affected inventory off from their websites, possibly because Stellantis required them to do this since they cannot sell them anyways. But, just prior to that I found several 2022 2500's with deep discounts.

Pitboss44

Reaction score
Would a tradesman with less chips in her than something with a higher trim package get scheduled sooner if they were ordered in the same time frame?

gprguy

Reaction score
Honestly I think trying to predict Ram's production schedule from the outside is an exercise in futility. What you say makes sense, but then they might run out of the tradesman specific valve stem cover or Hemi blinker fluid and delay it.. Or they decided to only build metallic purple single cabs in December because of a message in their breakfast cereal.. :D

Ironsides77

Reaction score
I agree about the Ford 10-speed trannies. I owned a 2021 F-250 with the 7.3 gas (Godzilla) motor, but it still couldn't tow my TT with ease like I was hoping for. So, I sold it at the height of the used truck market and have a 2023 Big Horn on order. In the interim, I test drove a 2022 F-350 Powerstroke with the 10-speed (same tranny as the 7.3 gas), and they both hunt gears and are too busy for my liking. The way things are going, I may buy a 2022 Ram once the 68RFE recalls are done. There are actually some good deals to be had right now, if you can find a dealer who will list inventory. I think most dealers have pulled their HD affected inventory off from their websites, possibly because Stellantis required them to do this since they cannot sell them anyways. But, just prior to that I found several 2022 2500's with deep discounts.
The hunting even without towing was irritating in the hillsides from Alabama to Houston. Move over to pass and punch it only to wait for the transmission to downshift from 10th gear to 3rd.

Y’all can keep your 10 speeds!

I see Ram going 8 speed if anything.

cjh1669

Reaction score
The hunting even without towing was irritating in the hillsides from Alabama to Houston. Move over to pass and punch it only to wait for the transmission to downshift from 10th gear to 3rd.

Wouldn't an 8 speed still cause you similar issues? Are you saying you'd be upset if dodge ended up with an allison 10 speed transmission?

Pitboss44

Reaction score
Honestly I think trying to predict Ram's production schedule from the outside is an exercise in futility. What you say makes sense, but then they might run out of the tradesman specific valve stem cover or Hemi blinker fluid and delay it.. Or they decided to only build metallic purple single cabs in December because of a message in their breakfast cereal.. :D

This is undoubtedly entirely accurate. Alphabet soup aside. I was just thinking, if they sequence all the components along the line. Then the truck with the shorter parts list would theoretically be assembled first. But.. in practicality wtf knows.

tchur1

Reaction score

Totally agree. I love my AISIN 6 speed, would be happy with an AISIN/Allison 8 speed but would be bummed to see the 10 speed. The AISIN just grabs a gear and pulls forever. Huge fan of this powertrain even though it shifts a bit more firmly compared to other options. I also don't want to hear the MPG argument because if you drive reasonably you can pull 20 MPGs in these trucks on the highway relatively easily.
This is undoubtedly entirely accurate. Alphabet soup aside. I was just thinking, if they sequence all the components along the line. Then the truck with the shorter parts list would theoretically be assembled first. But.. in practicality wtf knows.
From my experience following orders here for the last couple years and my own order timeline I dont think trim level or options has anything to do with it. Just order what you want and itll how up eventually haha. I ordered a pretty loaded limited and got it in about 4 months.

Pitboss44

Reaction score
Totally agree. I love my AISIN 6 speed, would be happy with an AISIN/Allison 8 speed but would be bummed to see the 10 speed. The AISIN just grabs a gear and pulls forever. Huge fan of this powertrain even though it shifts a bit more firmly compared to other options. I also don't want to hear the MPG argument because if you drive reasonably you can pull 20 MPGs in these trucks on the highway relatively easily.

From my experience following orders here for the last couple years and my own order timeline I dont think trim level or options has anything to do with it. Just order what you want and itll how up eventually haha. I ordered a pretty loaded limited and got it in about 4 months.
Thanks for the insight! When did you order yours? I put in an order for a 23 tradesman cc 8’ box third week of October. Been watching the dominoes tracker sit on “order confirmed” since I got the vin.

Users who are viewing this thread