Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Uconnect 5 12.0 Glitches

Scubaz66

Reaction score
US Government mandated all new vehicles are to be equipped with TPMS for safety reasons. My system continues to fail daily and keeps telling me my tires are low on air however, when I check tire pressure with a handheld gauge they are inflated correctly. Therefore, since it is a Safety Issue Mandated by the US Government why hasn't RAM either fixed the problem with a software update, replacement of TPMS valve stems or recalled vehicles for safety concerns?

kennelpj

Reaction score
Android auto cuts out on the same road every single time I'm on it. Road is about 5 min from my house. Without fail it will disconnect on that road, work flawlessly for hours while I'm out and driving. But when I am on my way home and turn on to this road, android auto cuts out again. Can't figure out how in the hell my location would be the issue. Have good cell service there, but I think AA is a bluetooth or internal wifi connection, not cellular. Plus it works fine when im in the mountains with no cell service whatsoever. Happen whether activly using AA for audio.maps or just when its connected but not actively in use.

aaron_huber

Reaction score
Android auto cuts out on the same road every single time I'm on it. Road is about 5 min from my house. Without fail it will disconnect on that road, work flawlessly for hours while I'm out and driving. But when I am on my way home and turn on to this road, android auto cuts out again. Can't figure out how in the hell my location would be the issue. Have good cell service there, but I think AA is a bluetooth or internal wifi connection, not cellular. Plus it works fine when im in the mountains with no cell service whatsoever. Happen whether activly using AA for audio.maps or just when its connected but not actively in use.
AA uses 5Ghz Wi-Fi to connect the phone to the head unit in the truck, so it likely has nothing to do with the location itself other than something there is broadcasting a strong 5GHz signal causing interference.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/location-based-wireless-android-auto-issue.42901/

Scubaz66

Reaction score
AA uses 5Ghz Wi-Fi to connect the phone to the head unit in the truck, so it likely has nothing to do with the location itself other than something there is broadcasting a strong 5GHz signal causing interference.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/location-based-wireless-android-auto-issue.42901/
Keep this in mind based on where you live. 5G has a shorter wavelength and works great in intercity locations such as places like LA, Chicago, Indianapolis, and other major/intermediate size cities where the signal travels on a shorter wavelength and data moves faster in the shorter distance. With 4G data travels slower but further because the wavelength is longer. My IPhone will change from 5G to 4G signal strength as I travel. In rural areas I'm usually operating in 4G mode but as I approach an area with 5G services my IPhone will pickup the 5G signal.

I'm definitely not a data tech, but this was how it was explained to me through a family member who has worked at AT&T for 40 years.

Is it possible your head unit isn't making the transfer from 4G to 5G or vice versa while you travel that particular road? Maybe you can test this scenario by having someone watch their Phone signal (Not Connected to your Head Unit) while you navigate this particular stretch of road. When their cell phone makes the change I would think your Head Unit would as well. Just my two cents!!

techman

Reaction score
Not correct. Your phone connects to the head unit via Bluetooth or with physical cable USB connection for Uconnect.

Android auto cuts out on the same road

Can you be specific about what cuts out means? Disconnects? Reboots? What is the nature of the cut out.

Last edited:

CFE

Reaction score
In the last 5 days - my WAZE has disappeared from my UConnect/Android Auto screen. Is this an update that I'm not tracking?

kennelpj

Reaction score
Not correct. Your phone connects to the head unit via Bluetooth or with physical cable USB connection for Uconnect.

Can you be specific about what cuts out means? Disconnects? Reboots? What is the nature of the cut out.
I use the wireless connection. Only plug in via USB if I need to charge.

AA disconnects, will try and reboot a few times. Sometimes successful, sometimes I get an error along the lines of connection failed, plug in via USB to use AA.

techman

Reaction score
I use the wireless connection. Only plug in via USB if I need to charge.

AA disconnects, will try and reboot a few times. Sometimes successful, sometimes I get an error along the lines of connection failed, plug in via USB to use AA.
May I ask which phone you are using and Android version?

I would start with removing your BT connection profile from your phone and truck. Then reconnect everything from scratch to start fresh.

aaron_huber

Reaction score

I'm afraid Google disagrees with you:

Yes, you can plug in a USB cable, but if you are using wireless AA, then in addition to the standard Bluetooth connection, the phone also connects to the head unit via Wi-Fi automatically (negotiated via the Bluetooth connection) in order to have enough bandwidth to handle drawing the display on the head unit's screen.

5G has a shorter wavelength and works great in intercity locations such as places like LA, Chicago, Indianapolis, and other major/intermediate size cities where the signal travels on a shorter wavelength and data moves faster in the shorter distance

"5G" and "5GHz" aren't the same thing. "5G" means "fifth generation" and has nothing to do with a frequency/wavelength. A 5G signal can use lots of different frequencies depending on the cell company (Verizon vs. AT&T, etc.) or country. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G_NR_frequency_bands for a list of all of them. You are correct that there are differences in the signal properties based on the frequency (range, building penetration, etc.) but you can be connected to 5G using a very high frequency connection, or a low/midrange frequency, and potentially both at the same time (https://www.nokia.com/about-us/newsroom/articles/5g-carrier-aggregation-explained/).

Last edited:

aaron_huber

Reaction score
Is it possible your head unit isn't making the transfer from 4G to 5G or vice versa while you travel that particular road

If you're using wireless AA, your phone is simultaneously using three different radios maintaining different connections:
  1. Bluetooth on 2.4Ghz to the head unit
  2. Wi-Fi on 5GHz to the head unit
  3. 4G or 5G data to a cell tower using whatever frequency your cell provider is using
Wireless AA disconnecting means that you're having a problem with either connection 1 or 2, and most likely with 2 since that's the main connection in use to draw the screen. Connections 1 and 2 are entirely between the truck and your phone and would work if your truck was parked on a ship in the middle of the ocean a thousand miles away from any cell tower. Obviously, you'd only be able to interact with stuff already on your phone (play downloaded music for example) since you wouldn't have any data connection to the Internet, but your phone would be able to draw the AA screen on the head unit.

Dropping connections due to 5GHz interference for the Wi-Fi connection is a known issue and if you always get dropped at the same place, is a likely reason.

techman

Reaction score

Not the first time and I stand corrected. Although not a fan of the behind the scenes manipulation of negotiating the BT connection and handing the bandwidth intensive apps to Wi-Fi direct protocols.

Scubaz66

Reaction score

Yes, you can plug in a USB cable, but if you are using wireless AA, then in addition to the standard Bluetooth connection, the phone also connects to the head unit via Wi-Fi automatically (negotiated via the Bluetooth connection) in order to have enough bandwidth to handle drawing the display on the head unit's screen.

"5G" and "5GHz" aren't the same thing. "5G" means "fifth generation" and has nothing to do with a frequency/wavelength. A 5G signal can use lots of different frequencies depending on the cell company (Verizon vs. AT&T, etc.) or country. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G_NR_frequency_bands for a list of all of them. You are correct that there are differences in the signal properties based on the frequency (range, building penetration, etc.) but you can be connected to 5G using a very high frequency connection, or a low/midrange frequency, and potentially both at the same time (https://www.nokia.com/about-us/newsroom/articles/5g-carrier-aggregation-explained/).
OK! So I shortened 5GHz to state 5G. What I meant was the 5G Frequency has a shorter wavelength. To me, you state the same thing when you state "A 5G signal can use lots of different frequencies" but I knew you were speaking of the frequency and not the generation.

Essentially what I was trying to do was give the poster a possible scenario why the signal drop when he reached that particular road. I don't use Android, I use Apple so I can't help with his Android problem itsself.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
If you're using wireless AA, your phone is simultaneously using three different radios maintaining different connections:
  1. Bluetooth on 2.4Ghz to the head unit
  2. Wi-Fi on 5GHz to the head unit
  3. 4G or 5G data to a cell tower using whatever frequency your cell provider is using
Wireless AA disconnecting means that you're having a problem with either connection 1 or 2, and most likely with 2 since that's the main connection in use to draw the screen. Connections 1 and 2 are entirely between the truck and your phone and would work if your truck was parked on a ship in the middle of the ocean a thousand miles away from any cell tower. Obviously, you'd only be able to interact with stuff already on your phone (play downloaded music for example) since you wouldn't have any data connection to the Internet, but your phone would be able to draw the AA screen on the head unit.

Dropping connections due to 5GHz interference for the Wi-Fi connection is a known issue and if you always get dropped at the same place, is a likely reason.
This was the scenario I was trying to lead the poster towards. Signal Drop!

kennelpj

Reaction score
May I ask which phone you are using and Android version?

I would start with removing your BT connection profile from your phone and truck. Then reconnect everything from scratch to start fresh.
Samsung S22 Ultra. Latest Android update, 13 I think, But the problem stated before the update and has continued after the OS refresh too.

kennelpj

Reaction score
Bittersweet answer I guess. I know im not alone in this issue and there mystery is solved, but kind of sucks that this message basically says "yeah sorry, its gonna happen". Especially since its at the point close to my house so I'll hit it on my way out and into the neighborhood.

Thanks for the help everyone!

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
While this /could/ cause issues. It's not the root cause and no one should accept it. There are plenty of other wireless in use in those same areas and they don't lose connection. There is also the fact that all the issues me and others are facing happen if you are plugged into CarPlay and explicitly set it up telling it no to use wireless.

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
I've given up on wireless AA. I don't use the wireless charger, because it's too slow for the price. I just plug my phone into the USB-C and I'm done with it. I have permanently deleted my phone from wireless AA to keep them from interfering with each other.

Someone needs to jailbreak the U connect so a real software engineer can fix it right. I'm very disappointed in the number of issues there are for such an expensive truck.

Users who are viewing this thread