Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 regens at 130 miles on mixed city/HWY to work and back

dub96

Reaction score
When the DPF (exhaust filter) gets full, it burns extra fuel to burn it out.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Despite a couple of drives with good passive regen, EGT 3 up to 950° for a couple miles, the effects of daily driving the truck for over 2 weeks couldn’t be overcome and the truck went into regen at 13 hours since the last regen.

I was towing a light TT at the time and was surprised how it went down. The dash only showed 30% full but the CTS3 went from ~70% to 100% very quickly on a cold motor, which makes sense, and an active regen triggered.

When the active regan began the DPF% on the CTS3 didn’t drastically drop like it does on a 24 hour regen, but rather slowly worked down from 100% as the DPF got cooked. The regen also lasted longer than a 24 hour regen, and I even added 5 extra miles to my commute. It was still going when I put the truck in park after 17 miles, all towing, but it didn’t start back up again when I left. It has gone from 100% down into the 40’s, and when I restarted the truck showed 18%… similar to after a 24 hour regen.

I learned a lot about the system, and how much passive regen it would take to clean out many hours of light load driving. It makes a lot of these frequent regen trucks seem more normal, if the driving conditions are light load and frequent heat cycles.

@John Jensen, it does appear that the 24 hour clock reset. I’m still showing 20-30% on the CTS3 and I’m 16 hours past the last 24 hour regen. If the 24 hour clock had not reset I should be showing no less that 67% on the CTS3. I’ll know for sure in 8 hours of runtime.

PRS

Reaction score
So, just to clarify if I understand, you're saying the next active regen should occur 24 hours from this most recent active regen, and not 24 hours from the last regularly scheduled 24 hr active regen?
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have an active regen from soot load, the next active regen, say under towing conditions, will be 24 hours from the most recent active regen, and not revert back to the regular schedule?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So, just to clarify if I understand, you're saying the next active regen should occur 24 hours from this most recent active regen, and not 24 hours from the last regularly scheduled 24 hr active regen?
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have an active regen from soot load, the next active regen, say under towing conditions, will be 24 hours from the most recent active regen, and not revert back to the regular schedule?
Yes basically if the truck has not regened in 24hrs since the last one whether it was triggered by time or soot load it will do it at 24hrs its not like there is a schedule more like a timer.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, any active regen should reset the 24 hour clock.

Reaction score
2022 ram 2500 6.7 and been having the same excessive regens. Issues arise 3 months ago basically when my commute cut from 110 miles a day to 15 miles. Never had regens till the 24 hour mark and didn't care about short duration on the weekend bc during the week I would clear up the dpf. Moved from Houston to KC so had to figure out a few issues along with a colder average temp (50F vs 90F). Was regening 80-120 miles and current up to 250ish, waiting on more data. I don't make long trips on the weekend nor tow anything for passive regen.

I had a bunch of Doc filters and started changing them to Mopar brand and recently the fuel filter did the most benefts. Started running HSS Extreme and first tank of EDT. Also purchased a edge insight cts3 to help monitor and trouble shoot. Also installed a block heater cord since it's colder and wanted a quicker warm up. Never used the block heater much but have been using it since I've found positive dpf results.

Typical morning, average morning temp 45 F with 1 min warm up then coast/slow drive till coolant hits 120F. Increase commute round from 7.5 miles 60/40 Highway/city to 15 miles 80/20. DPF level would fill 12.5% a day until active regen. Plug the truck in since Monday average sporting temp 45F I was able to passive regen 45% to 0% by the time I got to work. This shows that a lot soot is developed on cold starting the truck.I can't say I don't have other issues but just noticed above 70 F the dpf levels fill alot slower.

With the CTS3 it has been very beneficial with learning. The truck EGT2 temps on cold start takes 3-4 miles before 500 F is reach. So if I hit any slow downs or traffic would drive faster than 60 mph I was screwed. When I plugging the truck in at night EGT2 ranges between 600-700F within 1 mile when hitting the entrance ramp of the freeway. Basically if you aren't driving +75 mph, headwind, loaded, accelerating or incline the EGT2 temps barely hits 650 F where passive regen starts to occur and drops very quickly after pedal release or coasting.

I'm sure once consistent temps above 70-80F the truck will level out and not have excessive DPF filling based on cooler morning cold starts. I haven't received any codes so it's more being paranoid but also a learning process since this is my first diesel with 9 months ownership. Tried getting the dealership to look into some diagnostic but they only performed a 3 hour forced regen (possible 2 foced regens back to back) and wouldn't touch the truck to even check for any updates until a code shows.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
2022 ram 2500 6.7 and been having the same excessive regens. Issues arise 3 months ago basically when my commute cut from 110 miles a day to 15 miles. Never had regens till the 24 hour mark and didn't care about short duration on the weekend bc during the week I would clear up the dpf. Moved from Houston to KC so had to figure out a few issues along with a colder average temp (50F vs 90F). Was regening 80-120 miles and current up to 250ish, waiting on more data. I don't make long trips on the weekend nor tow anything for passive regen.

I had a bunch of Doc filters and started changing them to Mopar brand and recently the fuel filter did the most benefts. Started running HSS Extreme and first tank of EDT. Also purchased a edge insight cts3 to help monitor and trouble shoot. Also installed a block heater cord since it's colder and wanted a quicker warm up. Never used the block heater much but have been using it since I've found positive dpf results.

Typical morning, average morning temp 45 F with 1 min warm up then coast/slow drive till coolant hits 120F. Increase commute round from 7.5 miles 60/40 Highway/city to 15 miles 80/20. DPF level would fill 12.5% a day until active regen. Plug the truck in since Monday average sporting temp 45F I was able to passive regen 45% to 0% by the time I got to work. This shows that a lot soot is developed on cold starting the truck.I can't say I don't have other issues but just noticed above 70 F the dpf levels fill alot slower.

With the CTS3 it has been very beneficial with learning. The truck EGT2 temps on cold start takes 3-4 miles before 500 F is reach. So if I hit any slow downs or traffic would drive faster than 60 mph I was screwed. When I plugging the truck in at night EGT2 ranges between 600-700F within 1 mile when hitting the entrance ramp of the freeway. Basically if you aren't driving +75 mph, headwind, loaded, accelerating or incline the EGT2 temps barely hits 650 F where passive regen starts to occur and drops very quickly after pedal release or coasting.

I'm sure once consistent temps above 70-80F the truck will level out and not have excessive DPF filling based on cooler morning cold starts. I haven't received any codes so it's more being paranoid but also a learning process since this is my first diesel with 9 months ownership. Tried getting the dealership to look into some diagnostic but they only performed a 3 hour forced regen (possible 2 foced regens back to back) and wouldn't touch the truck to even check for any updates until a code shows.

Sounds like it’s working as designed for the driving style. These trucks aren’t good commuters for short trips.

If you get AlfaOBD you can do the stationary regen yourself, which I plan to do before each oil change. The hour long stationary regen does a better job of cleaning the DPF, IMO, than an active regen while driving.

UGARude

Reaction score
The check engine light came on in my 2023 with 4,200 miles on it this morning so I scanned it and got the P2459 (DPF regen too frequent) code. I've been reading through all of this but I'll be honest, all of this percentage this/temperature that is way above my pay grade. My commute is short (14 miles each way) with a stop along the way most trips. Can someone simplify what I should be doing to correct this issue? I drove a 2017 F250 previously with the same commute and never had this problem.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The check engine light came on in my 2023 with 4,200 miles on it this morning so I scanned it and got the P2459 (DPF regen too frequent) code. I've been reading through all of this but I'll be honest, all of this percentage this/temperature that is way above my pay grade. My commute is short (14 miles each way) with a stop along the way most trips. Can someone simplify what I should be doing to correct this issue? I drove a 2017 F250 previously with the same commute and never had this problem.

That’s not a commute that is friendly to DPF equipped trucks, Ford or Ram.

Do you idle it much?

Do you watch the DPF screen at all?

techman

Reaction score

Suggest that you take your truck for a nice long ride at some point during the week and don't idle it. With that said, if you only have a 14 miles commute, you may want to get a commuter car for that short run, like a Toyota/Honda beater.

Riddick

Reaction score

Do you have a trailer you tow on the weekends? You need to put a load behind these trucks and work them to keep the DPF clean. You don't necessarily have to have a load behind it but from my experience you will have to drive at 70-75 MPH for 1-1.5 hrs in order to clean it (passive regen). The 37s on your truck should help load it more but these trucks need to be ran longer.

There have been some members on here state they use Hot Shots Extreme Diesel to help with frequent regens. This could help but I cannot say for certain. You can also try tuning your truck. Calibrated Power offers tuning support for the 22-23 trucks, they will ship you a 19-21 ECM programmed for your truck. Unfortunately this will set you back 3300 plus shipping but you can keep your stock ECM in case you need to have warranty work done.

UGARude

Reaction score
That’s not a commute that is friendly to DPF equipped trucks, Ford or Ram.

Do you idle it much?

Do you watch the DPF screen at all?
I agree. I remote start is pretty much every morning because it's still been upper 40's/lower 50's when I leave. And no, I can't say I watch the DPF screen at all but will start now.

UGARude

Reaction score
Do you have a trailer you tow on the weekends? You need to put a load behind these trucks and work them to keep the DPF clean. You don't necessarily have to have a load behind it but from my experience you will have to drive at 70-75 MPH for 1-1.5 hrs in order to clean it (passive regen). The 37s on your truck should help load it more but these trucks need to be ran longer.

There have been some members on here state they use Hot Shots Extreme Diesel to help with frequent regens. This could help but I cannot say for certain. You can also try tuning your truck. Calibrated Power offers tuning support for the 22-23 trucks, they will ship you a 19-21 ECM programmed for your truck. Unfortunately this will set you back 3300 plus shipping but you can keep your stock ECM in case you need to have warranty work done.
Good info. I'll check out the Hot Shots stuff that you mentioned. I assume that if I quit using remote start and letting it run for 10-15 minutes frequently would help as well.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I remote start is pretty much every morning because it's still been upper 40's/lower 50's when I leave. And no, I can't say I watch the DPF screen at all but will start now.

How long do you idle it for? More than 10 minutes of idle per hour of operation is considered excessive.

You can use remote start if you want, but I’d do it as you walk out the door for a regular habit.

The truck has supplemental electric heat, and it’s best to warm a diesel with light driving.

Be careful, many folks on this forum have gone insane hyper-focusing on that gauge. Just fill it up with decent diesel, avoid idling, and drive, drive, drive!

True, but it can be good for indicating regen frequency and DPF loading based on driving style. It’s not a gauge to stare at, but good to monitor occasionally… especially if the P2459 code trips.

Last edited:

UGARude

Reaction score
How long do you idle it for? More than 10 minutes of idle per hour of operation is considered excessive.

You can use remote start if you want, but I’d do it as you walk out the door for a regular habit.

The truck has supplemental electric heat, and it’s best to warm a diesel with light driving.

True, but it can be good for indicating regen frequency and DPF loading based on driving style. It’s not a gauge to stare at, but good to monitor occasionally… especially if the P2459 code trips.
I'm sure that's the main cause of my issue. It idles way more than I should probably let it. I appreciate the help!

Brudzik

Reaction score
Mine has been at the Dealer for 3 days and still no word on what is wrong. So frustrating.

Brudzik

Reaction score
Got an update and they said they found an Exhaust leak. Glad they found the problem and hopefully I will get it back soon.

Brudzik

Reaction score
Fixed the Exhaust Leak but that didn't fix the problem, now they are saying one of my fuel injectors needs replaced. 5 days now without my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread