Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

DIMford

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 Limited with the "Trailer Camera Wiring (No camera)" XFQ option from the factory. What is the Mopar part number for the camera system that is designed to be used with this factory option?
Troy,

I had the same question for my 2022 2500 and same XFQ option from the factory. I was able to find out the part number for the camera kit alone is below:

Part #: 82216068AD

They are all on back order so it won't be a quick turnaround. Good luck.

Emanuel

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully wired a camera to the aux 2 circuit? All my trailers have voyager cameras on them and it was an easy add on to my 3rd gen ram with Kenwood in-dash. Now that I have my '22, I have read through this thread, found Jimmy's pin out for the aux2 wiring and it calls for a couple more connections. The voyager cam has 4 wires in their cable; 12v (red), gnd (black), video (yellow), audio (white). I tried soldering a connector using the 12v, gnd, and pin 11 for video at the 12 pin connector but aux cam 2 still only shows a blue screen. Does anyone know what needs to happen in order to have video show up? Thanks in advance

Woolfman

Reaction score

Pearce

Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade to this on my 22
New for 2023 2500/3500:
  • 2023 Ram Heavy Duty models benefit from camera system enhancements, including the new Trailer Tow pages app, multiple view modes, behind-trailer view and blind-spot view

jsalbre

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this?
  • New wireless Trailer Camera Prep Kit with up to four cameras (including night vision) is available across the lineup. Wired cameras are still available
Wonder if it will work on older models.

Found it on Stellantis website for new for 2023. says for chassis cab but would imagine it would work on all models.
Interesting find. If it ever actually comes out it'll be a big hit I'm sure.

That has got to be one of the brand's worst websites though. There's random pictures of the TRX HUD and the 3.6L from the 1500s in the 2500 pages. None of the 2023 pages actually have pictures of the 2023 trucks (wrong mirrors, dashboards, etc).

jebruns

Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade to this on my 22
New for 2023 2500/3500:
  • 2023 Ram Heavy Duty models benefit from camera system enhancements, including the new Trailer Tow pages app, multiple view modes, behind-trailer view and blind-spot view
What is suppose to be different from the older trucks? My 22 has the Trailer Tow app on the dash, behind trailer-view, blind spot warning, multiple camera views.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the cable for the trailer camera is repairable? I’m using one for the camera I installed on the inside of my topper so I can have a rear view when the bed is full of stuff and it works fine. The one from my trailer has been having intermittent outages. While filling an LP tank yesterday I realized the tank cover was pinching the cable a bit so I rerouted it out of harm’s way.

My concern is that the cable might be permanently damaged. If so - I’m wondering about:

1) repairing it by splicing before the pinch point and adding enough length (5-6’) to reattach the connectors that plug in to the receptacle on the bumper (preferred but not sure this is even possible…)

2) replacing it and restringing the new one on the trailer (guaranteed to work - and a pain in the butt…)

3) using the cable that’s rolled up for the topper camera for the trailer and then finding a cable that could connect where the rear view camera in the CHMSL connects - I understand it’s the same camera. (a good option if there’s a good way to implement it)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the cable for the trailer camera is repairable? I’m using one for the camera I installed on the inside of my topper so I can have a rear view when the bed is full of stuff and it works fine. The one from my trailer has been having intermittent outages. While filling an LP tank yesterday I realized the tank cover was pinching the cable a bit so I rerouted it out of harm’s way.

My concern is that the cable might be permanently damaged. If so - I’m wondering about:

1) repairing it by splicing before the pinch point and adding enough length (5-6’) to reattach the connectors that plug in to the receptacle on the bumper (preferred but not sure this is even possible…)

2) replacing it and restringing the new one on the trailer (guaranteed to work - and a pain in the butt…)

3) using the cable that’s rolled up for the topper camera for the trailer and then finding a cable that could connect where the rear view camera in the CHMSL connects - I understand it’s the same camera. (a good option if there’s a good way to implement it)

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I found that after rerouting the cable I no longer had an intermittent camera loss (about 800 miles so far, fingers crossed).

clu51

Reaction score
For anyone thinking about getting the XH7 Trailer Tow Mode Camera (Wired) option, here are pictures of the hardware and a pdf of the instructions I received with my just-arrived 2022 Limited Level 1 3500 DRW with the XH7 option and without the trailer surround camera option. When I have a chance, I'll test wire it up and show how it looks in the digital rear view mirror. But, as a preview, the digital mirror includes a menu option (selectable on the rearview mirror itself) to switch between the normal rearview camera image and the trailer camera. I hope this information helps.

The kit comes in a large bag containing two smaller bags. The kit part number is shown as (P)68527599AA. I'm not sure if the "(P)" is actually part of the part number.
View attachment 23335
The larger of the two bags includes a 50' cable (15.4m), 40 X 12"cable ties, a docking station (this is a cable end holder, used as a dust cap when the cable is not attached to a truck), and screws to mount the docking station to a trailer.
View attachment 23338

Detail of the "truck" end of the cable.
View attachment 23339 View attachment 23340

Detail of the "camera" end of the cable.
View attachment 23341

Docking station, open (note closed/blank end)
View attachment 23343

The smaller bag includes the camera pod, camera bracket, 2 X camera bracket trim covers, mounting screws, 50 X 10" cable ties, and 80 X 8" cable ties.
View attachment 23344

Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.
View attachment 23345
Any chance you could ball park estimate the packaged kit dimensions and weight? I will order it for my vehicle in Australia through SHIPIT and need that package dimension and weight for my freight forwarding estimate. Much appreciated. I know it might have been awhile ago for you but close enough estimate is fine. Cheers. John

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Any chance you could ball park estimate the packaged kit dimensions and weight? I will order it for my vehicle in Australia through SHIPIT and need that package dimension and weight for my freight forwarding estimate. Much appreciated. I know it might have been awhile ago for you but close enough estimate is fine. Cheers. John
Sadly, over a year on, and I haven't installed it.
My postage scale shows just under 60 ounces. The package is approx. 20" x 16" x 4".

Attachments

• PXL_20230117_040202375.jpg
    PXL_20230117_040202375.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 27

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Sadly, over a year on, and I haven't installed it.
My postage scale shows just under 60 ounces. The package is approx. 20" x 16" x 4".
No particular reason to not have installed it...just haven't built up the enthusiasm to wire tie it to my 5th wheel.

jebruns

Reaction score
No particular reason to not have installed it...just haven't built up the enthusiasm to wire tie it to my 5th wheel.
Yeah, I get it. The install is the worst part of the deal. I forced myself to do it right away when I got my 22, but it was not fun. Very doable by your average DIYer, but time consuming to get it all hidden and sealed.

mountainears

Reaction score
I’ve been debating keeping mine or selling.

I like the idea of it but the one trailer id really like to put it on is a horse trailer and the rear doors are hinged and split. Mounting the rear camera on a split door means it will be off center a little and I’m not sure how bad that will screw things up.

Additionally I think the other rear camera for the digital rear view mirror will add more value for me. And I’m not sure I want to have two cameras back there (wish it was designed to be multipurpose).

My current thinking is to buy the digital rear view camera mirror and give that a go first. Then if I don’t want to add the other camera(s) after doing that I’ll sell the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacnw1963

Reaction score
I’ve been debating keeping mine or selling.

I like the idea of it but the one trailer id really like to put it on is a horse trailer and the rear doors are hinged and split. Mounting the rear camera on a split door means it will be off center a little and I’m not sure how bad that will screw things up.

Additionally I think the other rear camera for the digital rear view mirror will add more value for me. And I’m not sure I want to have two cameras back there (wish it was designed to be multipurpose).

My current thinking is to buy the digital rear view camera mirror and give that a go first. Then if I don’t want to add the other camera(s) after doing that I’ll sell the kit.

Will the '22 camera work with the new digital camera? Or are you talking about ordering a '22 mirror and wiring it that way? I have my '22 camera from my totaled truck still - never got around to putting it on as well

mountainears

Reaction score
I already have the digital rear view mirror. My truck is fully prepped for both camera systems. I just only own the 360 camera kit, not the mirror camera.

Pearce

Reaction score
Now that I finally got my enclosed car hauler I've gone back through the different camera threads and have come to the conclusion I'll be better off with a $130 HD wireless camera from Amazon. Disappointing in a way but it's going to work better. The digital review mirror was not an option at the time of ordering so it can work for that too.

gprguy

Reaction score
Will the '22 camera work with the new digital camera? Or are you talking about ordering a '22 mirror and wiring it that way? I have my '22 camera from my totaled truck still - never got around to putting it on as well
I've been looking into this and Jimmy has been providing great info as usual. From what I can see there's some conflicting information.

The older digital mirror (GRG) is the same part number in 2023 as in 2022, indicating that the old XH7 camera kit should work on a 2023.

However, the camera section of the body builder guide specifically says that the 2022 camera won't work on a 2023 (and vice versa), and there is a new XH7 kit for the 2023's with a new part number that has a longer cable that includes a repeater.

So either one of these things is wrong, or perhaps the guide is talking about the new DRVM 3.0 mirror (GNQ) needing the 2023 specific camera and just not calling that out specifically. I don't know if any customer trucks have been built with GNQ yet.

pacnw1963

Reaction score
I've been looking into this and Jimmy has been providing great info as usual. From what I can see there's some conflicting information.

The older digital mirror (GRG) is the same part number in 2023 as in 2022, indicating that the old XH7 camera kit should work on a 2023.

However, the camera section of the body builder guide specifically says that the 2022 camera won't work on a 2023 (and vice versa), and there is a new XH7 kit for the 2023's with a new part number that has a longer cable that includes a repeater.

So either one of these things is wrong, or perhaps the guide is talking about the new DRVM 3.0 mirror (GNQ) needing the 2023 specific camera and just not calling that out specifically. I don't know if any customer trucks have been built with GNQ yet.
I totaled my 2022 in September, and when I originally spoke to the dealer, the digital rearview camera (not the 3.0) was available with the new camera and repeater. The insurance company took 3 months to finally decide to total it, and when I placed my order on 12/13/22, the only digital rearview available was the 3.0 (which I needed the auxiliary switches and I had to choose because of the steering knob). The dealer did contact the "powers to be" and told me that the 2022 camera was compatible with the uConnect and I could view the camera through it. The only issue with that is 1-is the truck wired for that camera, and 2-doesn't do me much good while driving if I want to go to any other screen except the camera view...I was hoping maybe there was a workaround if I changed out the mirror on the 2023 for a 2022 digital mirror?

And the hits just keep on hitting... :D

gprguy

Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, the digital rear view camera can't be viewed on the uconnect screen - just the mirror. I think there is a separate analog Parkview camera that can be shown on uconnect, and of course the surround cameras if you have it.

It'd be interesting to see if the repeater camera works with the non 3.0 digital mirror - since the normal digital mirror hasn't changed, that means it may be compatible with 2022's as well for those who need a longer cable.

Users who are viewing this thread