Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I’m looking all through the description and I can’t see the RG number on this…

Bingfu Fakra Z Female to Male Vehicle Antenna Extension ... https://a.co/d/dpXawbp

Have you found one with the RG58?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bingfu cables are RG174

gator6

Reaction score
The bingfu cables are RG174

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking when looking at the price difference, I did find the fakra z RG58s on Amazon.

Looking at how to stitch together the length. They make a 25’, 10’, 6’, and 3’. Im worried that the 25’ ($50) will be too long. Currently I have a 10’ and 6.5’ Bingfu installed, but I have strung two 6.5’ together and want to say I had a BIT of play.

I can get intermittent video with the Bingfu setup, do you think a 10 and 6 foot RG58 would solve the problem or be too long?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking when looking at the price difference, I did find the fakra z RG58s on Amazon.

Looking at how to stitch together the length. They make a 25’, 10’, 6’, and 3’. Im worried that the 25’ ($50) will be too long. Currently I have a 10’ and 6.5’ Bingfu installed, but I have strung two 6.5’ together and want to say I had a BIT of play.

I can get intermittent video with the Bingfu setup, do you think a 10 and 6 foot RG58 would solve the problem or be too long?

I think we should focus more on what @Brutal_HO mentioned above- the signal quality loss through each connection. I think those of you that need to extend the tow mode camera cable, should probably do it on the TNC connector end instead of the fakra end, since there is more contact on the signal and shield on a TNC connector. Maybe try this as an extension:

ECB3571F-4C50-48AD-8013-53823B40C0B8.jpeg

gator6

Reaction score
Damn [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention]! That’s why I post here, so many good suggestions! I had disassembled that connector weeks ago and cleaned it thinking it would help, but never once considered an extension on it!

Thanks!

22limited

Reaction score
I just installed the the RG58 cable 25’ to replace the RG174 20’ on the camera end and it works yea. I’m not sure why the 174 worked when coiled up on the tailgate but once I ran it through the camper it wouldn’t even bought another 174 thinking I damaged the other one still wouldn’t work. I guess what I’m saying the 58 with the thicker size wire can still carry the signal through it even with an extra 5 feet that I didn’t need.

gator6

Reaction score
I just installed the the RG58 cable 25’ to replace the RG174 20’ on the camera end and it works yea. I’m not sure why the 174 worked when coiled up on the tailgate but once I ran it through the camper it wouldn’t even bought another 174 thinking I damaged the other one still wouldn’t work. I guess what I’m saying the 58 with the thicker size wire can still carry the signal through it even with an extra 5 feet that I didn’t need.

Good to know. I’m here in Yellowstone now, so once I get to some form of civilization I’ll get an RG58 on order. I’m liking the suggestion [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] has about putting the extension on the vehicle side with the 15’, and that’s all I may need.

dlang3737

Reaction score
So you were able to ext the trailer camera with the fakra cable from Amazon? I’m about 8 ft to short with enclosed trailer

dlang3737

Reaction score
I just hooked up the 20 foot fakra extension cable along with the 50 foot cable that it comes with camera kit and the picture is still crystal clear in the mirror. Both ends of the extension cable both clip in and lock in.
So I guess there’s hope for us people with big 40- 45 foot campers.
So you were able to ext your rear view camera for trailer using this fakra cable? I have a 34ft enclosed and I’m about 7ish ft to short

gator6

Reaction score
So you were able to ext your rear view camera for trailer using this fakra cable? I have a 34ft enclosed and I’m about 7ish ft to short

[mention]22limited [/mention] and I, probably a few others, have used extensions for our 5ers. The problem is, as [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] has graciously provided a solution for, we used RG174 cables. The 174 from Bingfu has the fakra connection and works fine in cool, damp conditions but is too thin to carry the signal over long distances for our applications. I’m currently running 16’ of 174 and found it works great if it’s raining, but not when it warms up (flickers in/out then drops).

Look above for the link that Jimmy provided me for the RG58 cable (TNC connection). It ties into the vehicle side (the connection to the vehicle screws off, the extension is added, connector on extension). I ordered mine as soon as I arrived at Great Falls, probably going to have to extend here a day for delivery and installation.

I’m not an expert at this kind of thing, did a bit of research on the Radio Guide (RG) rating system. They’re pretty random, but the one we’re real familiar with is the RG6 used for sat/cable tv. RG58 is inferior to 6, and RG59 seems to be more for CCTV applications which has me wondering…but, 22 said he’s upgraded his extension to a 58 and everything works fine.

e489b230d178af270c9ab9afb13f9ae7.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It would probably be easy to CAD and 3D print that connector with some good measurements if you can source the insert. I didn't realize it wasn't molded in.

gator6

Reaction score
It would probably be easy to CAD and 3D print that connector with some good measurements if you can source the insert. I didn't realize it wasn't molded in.

I’m just not sure what connection it is. The camera end of the cable is Fakra, the truck end is TNC(?). The bumper connection is TNC(?) to some form of slip on that isn’t either.

gator6

Reaction score
That’s a no-go! Playing fits with the system, wouldn’t even register the camera attached! [mention]22limited [/mention] which RG58 worked for you?

gator6

Reaction score
It seems to run an extension, you have to go from the camera end (fakra z). I see an option on Amazon for a 20’, but it only had the “post” style end and not the plug. Only way around that is two run two extensions (10’ and 6’) to get the connections that I know will connect.

gator6

Reaction score
YES! Thanks to [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] and [mention]22limited [/mention] I have finally got a cable installed that works…for now. I have yet to hit the road for an “underway” test, but unpackaging and hooking up for a static test, things worked fine.

If anyone is looking at running an extension for their trailer digital rearview mirror, I have found you need to use a RG58 cable with FAKRA Z connectors.

My first attempt to run an extension was a 20’ extension from BINGFU on Amazon. Just sitting static, the picture signal was intermittent. I shifted to 2 x 6’ BINGFU extensions, and that worked fine static…for a bit. I found on the road that when it heats up the signal would become intermittent again, and eventually drop.

Jimmy07 explained that it is an impedance issue, the BINGFU cables are a smaller RG174 wire, and I’d need to upgrade to a thicker RG58. He suggested trying a 15’ RG58 cable with TNC connectors that could be attached to the truck side of the factory cable. The TNC (threaded) connections are a great idea, a snug and reassuring fit, but I found that the truck didn’t recognize the trailer camera connected at all. There is something about the connection on the truck end, YOU CANNOT SIMPLY RUN AN AMAZON EXTENSION ON THE TRUCK SIDE.

I asked 22limited what he had ran, to achieve success. He told me he used a 25’ cable from Amazon that I quickly found (there’s only one with Fakra Z connections) and forwarded to him for verification. Once I got the thumbs up, I placed the order. It took awhile to receive it (on the road) but I did the install yesterday and sitting static, no issues.

6624ed6d1d034616bd4184884ae9e0a1.jpg

Randy1021

Reaction score
YES! Thanks to [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] and [mention]22limited [/mention] I have finally got a cable installed that works…for now. I have yet to hit the road for an “underway” test, but unpackaging and hooking up for a static test, things worked fine.

If anyone is looking at running an extension for their trailer digital rearview mirror, I have found you need to use a RG58 cable with FAKRA Z connectors.

My first attempt to run an extension was a 20’ extension from BINGFU on Amazon. Just sitting static, the picture signal was intermittent. I shifted to 2 x 6’ BINGFU extensions, and that worked fine static…for a bit. I found on the road that when it heats up the signal would become intermittent again, and eventually drop.

Jimmy07 explained that it is an impedance issue, the BINGFU cables are a smaller RG174 wire, and I’d need to upgrade to a thicker RG58. He suggested trying a 15’ RG58 cable with TNC connectors that could be attached to the truck side of the factory cable. The TNC (threaded) connections are a great idea, a snug and reassuring fit, but I found that the truck didn’t recognize the trailer camera connected at all. There is something about the connection on the truck end, YOU CANNOT SIMPLY RUN AN AMAZON EXTENSION ON THE TRUCK SIDE.

I asked 22limited what he had ran, to achieve success. He told me he used a 25’ cable from Amazon that I quickly found (there’s only one with Fakra Z connections) and forwarded to him for verification. Once I got the thumbs up, I placed the order. It took awhile to receive it (on the road) but I did the install yesterday and sitting static, no issues.

6624ed6d1d034616bd4184884ae9e0a1.jpg

Gator06, just checking in to see if you've been able to test the new cable (RG58) on any drives yet? I was getting ready to mount my camera and run the cable on my 42' 5th wheel this weekend and checked back in this thread to see that the BINGFU RG174 extension I ordered a month or so ago, may not work as well as I hoped.

gator6

Reaction score
Gator06, just checking in to see if you've been able to test the new cable (RG58) on any drives yet? I was getting ready to mount my camera and run the cable on my 42' 5th wheel this weekend and checked back in this thread to see that the BINGFU RG174 extension I ordered a month or so ago, may not work as well as I hoped.

YES! Sorry, I have been so busy I forgot to post results. I installed near Moses Lake, WA and have made three trips since.

The first: Moses Lake to Whidbey Island, I found that when I plugged into the RG58 setup there was no change to my truck’s rear view mirror (not that I could tell immediately that is). I went in and manually selected the trailer view and there it was. I don’t recall any issues along the route.

Second: Whidbey to Chehalis, WA. I believe I had to do the same, manually select trailer cameras, but no hiccups. It was amazing to transit through Seattle/Tacoma seeing what was going on behind me (same as up to Whidbey). Helped get through the two hour traffic jam that I-5 has become.

Third: Chehalis to Neskowin, OR. Once again, manual select of the trailer view, but on this trip I recalled ONE hiccup. The screen went black for a second, but trailer view returned instantly.

My adventures with the RG174 cable has been this… Cool mornings, the truck sees the trailer camera, but as things get warmed up I started seeing these hiccups (signal outage) eventually I would start seeing “Digital Rearview Mirror unavailable” and all I would see is a black screen with a flip-down icon. Eventually this would give way to the truck camera taking, over showing the nose of my 5er. Now, sometimes I was able to go in a press some buttons and get it back, but eventually it was a lost cause. The ONLY times it had sustained operation was during rain (cool, damp conditions increase impedance).

Since switching to the RG58 cables I found this out… the TNC connection (truck side of MOPAR’s cable) did NOT accept an extension. I’m not sure why, but the computer driving the rear view system did not like the signal it was getting. It would try, as if it recognized there was something attached, but I wouldn’t get the glimpse of a picture from the trailer at all. Bring us to the FAKRA Z end… the cable I have (shown above) works almost perfectly. As stated, I have been manually selecting the feed, but other than the one hiccup I can remember, the setup is sound. This could be due to the 25’ extension. All I needed was 15’, but the lengths available on Amazon were 6’, 10’, and 25’. I wanted to use as few connections as possible, if 25’ worked good, if not I’d try 10’ and 6’. So far, over 700 miles, it’s held up to what I would call acceptable.

Friendly advice: Whether or not you relocate your truck connection from the bumper to the bed, do the work and route your cable through your pinbox. I originally went under the trailer, and on a tight turn (didn’t even make it 100yds) the cable jerked out and destroyed the bumper jack. I lucked out and a Ram service kid hooked me up with a replacement. Knowing what I know now (with correct cables), I would’ve routed the cable with my trailer 360° setup, along the roof and down through my bathroom cabinets into my storage near the front of the trailer. So much easier and not as much length required.

Hope this helps!

2d0bbd69a33aeedd63826716fd7b7096.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk———-

Last edited:

Randy1021

Reaction score
YES! Sorry, I have been so busy I forgot to post results. I installed near Moses Lake, WA and have made three trips since.

The first: Moses Lake to Whidbey Island, I found that when I plugged into the RG58 setup there was no change to my truck’s rear view mirror (not that I could tell immediately that is). I went in and manually selected the trailer view and there it was. I don’t recall any issues along the route.

Second: Whidbey to Chehalis, WA. I believe I had to do the same, manually select trailer cameras, but no hiccups. It was amazing to transit through Seattle/Tacoma seeing what was going on behind me (same as up to Whidbey). Helped get through the two hour traffic jam that I-5 has become.

Third: Chehalis to Neskowin, OR. Once again, manual select of the trailer view, but on this trip I recalled ONE hiccup. The screen went black for a second, but trailer view returned instantly.

My adventures with the RG174 cable has been this… Cool mornings, the truck sees the trailer camera, but as things get warmed up I started seeing these hiccups (signal outage) eventually I would start seeing “Digital Rearview Mirror unavailable” and all I would see is a black screen with a flip-down icon. Eventually this would give way to the truck camera taking, over showing the nose of my 5er. Now, sometimes I was able to go in a press some buttons and get it back, but eventually it was a lost cause. The ONLY times it had sustained operation was during rain (cool, damp conditions increase impedance).

Since switching to the RG58 cables I found this out… the TNC connection (truck side of MOPAR’s cable) did NOT accept an extension. I’m not sure why, but the computer driving the rear view system did not like the signal it was getting. It would try, as if it recognized there was something attached, but I wouldn’t get the glimpse of a picture from the trailer at all. Bring us to the FAKRA Z end… the cable I have (shown above) works almost perfectly. As stated, I have been manually selecting the feed, but other than the one hiccup I can remember, the setup is sound. This could be due to the 25’ extension. All I needed was 15’, but the lengths available on Amazon were 6’, 10’, and 25’. I wanted to use as few connections as possible, if 25’ worked good, if not I’d try 10’ and 6’. So far, over 700 miles, it’s held up to what I would call acceptable.

Friendly advice: Whether or not you relocate your truck connection from the bumper to the bed, do the work and route your cable through your pinbox. I originally went under the trailer, and on a tight turn (didn’t even make it 100yds) the cable jerked out and destroyed the bumper jack. I lucked out and a Ram service kid hooked me up with a replacement. Knowing what I know now (with correct cables), I would’ve routed the cable with my trailer 360° setup, along the roof and down through my bathroom cabinets into my storage near the front of the trailer. So much easier and not as much length required.

Hope this helps!

2d0bbd69a33aeedd63826716fd7b7096.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk———-
Thanks for the update, sounds like you've got it figured out. Most of my travels currently will be in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas, so counting on cool and moist conditions is not nearly as common in the Pacific NW. I spent several years on a sub out of Bangor, WA, beautiful area to be camping!!

Thanks for the advice on the cable run. I had planed on running along the frame and coming up under the front of the 5th wheel, but now am thinking about along the roof to the cable chase that runs to the storage bay, I'll have to see where that chase comes out. New 5th wheel, so still learning where everything is ran.

Again, appreciate you updating this thread!

gator6

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, sounds like you've got it figured out. Most of my travels currently will be in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas, so counting on cool and moist conditions is not nearly as common in the Pacific NW. I spent several years on a sub out of Bangor, WA, beautiful area to be camping!!

Thanks for the advice on the cable run. I had planed on running along the frame and coming up under the front of the 5th wheel, but now am thinking about along the roof to the cable chase that runs to the storage bay, I'll have to see where that chase comes out. New 5th wheel, so still learning where everything is ran.

Again, appreciate you updating this thread!

I just retired out of Mayport! I was stationed in Bangor 20 years ago, got my fish while on the Michigan.

My impedance troubles came just as soon as I left Jacksonville. We were headed to TX to visit my family, and ran through a rain storm from Alexandria, LA through Shreveport. The feed was fine during that, but as soon as we crossed into TX and it warmed up it dropped.

The 58 costs a bit more, but works and beats the headaches I’ve been dealing with.

troyljones

Reaction score
XN1- Trailer Surround view system- $995.
This is a standalone option, but you must have a package that includes regular truck surround view, and you must have a Uconnect 5 radio. The kit that comes delivered with the truck will have 4 digital cameras, a central vision processing module (CVPM), coax cables to connect the cameras to the CVPM, and the main sections of harness that carry the CVPM’s power, ground, canbus IHS hi/lo, and video output signal (3 wires) to the truck via the 12-pin connector. It is described as “to be installed by the dealer”, and I don’t see any instructions for the kit, so curious to see some that gets this post up the instructions that should be included. I’m sure it involves mounting the cameras on the 4 sides within a certain height range of each other, and calibrating the cameras to the CVPM using fixed points they are looking at.

XFQ- Mopar trailer camera wiring with no camera- $515 ($695 on some build tool sites).
This is the Aux 1&2 trailer camera wiring prep for the truck only, which preps the truck with the 12/7-pin trailer connectors. The kit that has the wiring for the trailer, that plugs into the 12-way truck connector, and one analog camera, is sold separately. A second camera is available separately from that kit. These are just observation cameras that can be mounted anywhere, and you can toggle between the two via the Aux 1&2 camera soft keys on the radio screen.

All the build sites will let you select both XFQ and XN1, but if you have both, it is only possible to use one Aux camera. This is because one of the two aux cameras uses the same video input on the radio as the CVPM for the trailer surround view uses.
I have a 2020 3500 Limited with the "Trailer Camera Wiring (No camera)" XFQ option from the factory. What is the Mopar part number for the camera system that is designed to be used with this factory option?

Users who are viewing this thread