Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

gator6

Reaction score
So I zip tied the connectors so they weren’t dangling so much, and she rode fine from Alexandria across the line into Texas, but… as soon as I left the rest stop the thing started glitching again, eventually telling me we weren’t hooked up. Wen I got were I was going the thing popped back on fine as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Diesel

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I am still confused after reading this whole thread.

Here's the deal. I have a 2021 5500 Chassis Cab with the digital rearview mirror and associated camera in the 'third brake light' position. It's useless for me since I alway have a camper on the back, which has lead me here and down a rabbit hole.

Where I am confused is there is a connection at the back with a what looks like a FAKRA plug, which according to the body builder guide is a plug for a "digital camera".

My assumption is that all I would have to do is add the appropriate camera and necessary FAKRA cable and connect them all up and I should be good to go with a picture pointing down behind my camper. Since the truck is a 21 and not a 2022 with the dual input digital rearview and trailer view camera makes me skeptical my assumption is correct.

There is a lot of great info in this thread, but not a lot on chassis cabs which seem to have different specs and options.

gator6

Reaction score

Here's the deal. I have a 2021 5500 Chassis Cab with the digital rearview mirror and associated camera in the 'third brake light' position. It's useless for me since I alway have a camper on the back, which has lead me here and down a rabbit hole.

Where I am confused is there is a connection at the back with a what looks like a FAKRA plug, which according to the body builder guide is a plug for a "digital camera".

My assumption is that all I would have to do is add the appropriate camera and necessary FAKRA cable and connect them all up and I should be good to go with a picture pointing down behind my camper. Since the truck is a 21 and not a 2022 with the dual input digital rearview and trailer view camera makes me skeptical my assumption is correct.

There is a lot of great info in this thread, but not a lot on chassis cabs which seem to have different specs and options.

So on the 22s you have an in cab option for an “AUX 2” camera that I haven’t figured out how to use, but I don’t think it is something I could use in my set up.

So that FARKA plug you speak of is for the digital rearview camera for your trailer, or at least that’s what I use it for. If you have that plug your vehicle should be setup for a towing camera kit.

The problem I run into is the cable is only 51’ and it doesn’t work well on a 44’ 5er without an extension. I’ve had stretches (in torrential downpours) where I can see behind my camper fine. Then there are times when it flickers on and off in the cab, eventually the truck tells me the entire system (truck and trailer) are not available. Other times, such as more recently, the trailer cam will work when I hook up, and completely disappears before I even get in drive, leaving me staring at my camper nose the whole way through the truck’s rearview camera.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Since you have a 2021 C&C, pretty much nothing in this thread applies to your situation.
The fakra that you found is for a backup camera, and has nothing to do with a camera for the digital rear view mirror. I’m guessing you probably have the truck surround view system? And if you do, the rear view is blacked out because the backup camera isn’t there.
Anyway, your 2021 digital mirror only has one camera input, for the camera in the CHMSL. In order to get a digital rear view mirror camera on the back of your camper, you need to disconnect the fakra from the mirror camera in the CHMSL, and extend that cable to the back of your camper, and mount another camera identical to the one in the CHMSL (or you can use that one you already have if you can seal the hole after you remove it).
The thread below more suits the situation you’re looking for:

Last edited:

gator6

Reaction score
Still having fits with this trailer rearview cam. Drove to Lusk, WY with it working fine, had some intermittent issues, but worked 95% of the time. When we left Lusk, the thing said it wasn’t hooked up 5 min after plugging in.

I’m wondering if the camera overheats in the sun. I made a trip about three weeks ago in a torrential downpour from Alexandria, LA into TX and had no issues.

Rodsaylor

Reaction score
XH7- Tow mode camera (wired)- $450.
You would choose this option if you already have a package/group selected that includes the digital rear view mirror.

AVF- Tow Mode digital rear view mirror package includes wired tow mode camera- $945. You would chose this package if you want the tow mode camera, but do not want a package/group that includes the digital rear view mirror.
This is a digital camera that can be mounted anywhere you want, and will display in the rear view mirror. It will be the default view when it is plugged in, and the digital camera in the CHMSL will be the default view when it is not plugged in. You can toggle between both views when the tow mode camera is plugged in. This camera system is completely divorced from any other camera system offered, so there should be no reason why this option can’t be equipped when other camera options are chosen.

Here are a few images- one of what the tow mode camera wiring connector looks like that you would plug into a receptacle on the bumper, and one of the location of the bumper receptacle. This is a separate receptacle from the 12/7-pin trailer tow connector. I can’t say for sure, but for 5th wheel prep, this receptacle might also be in the bed, and you would manually switch the connection like you would on a 5th wheel prep with the 12/7 pin connectors.
View attachment 21647
View attachment 21648
That looks like the connector I want, where can I buy one? Short of buying a 700 camera kit?

Rodsaylor

Reaction score
That's not the 12-pin you were asking about in your thread, that's the coax digital tow mode camera cable.
Right, I am working both issues at once, I found the pin out for the 12 pin and temp connected to it and the video works. I want to buy both mating connectors, can’t find a part number for either?

RichOutlaw

Reaction score
Right, I am working both issues at once, I found the pin out for the 12 pin and temp connected to it and the video works. I want to buy both mating connectors, can’t find a part number for either?
This is what I got for the tow mode camera. I found out about it from one of these threads. I'm passing out on.
6953352bc99ce3c4e7c793e31b4947e6.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Rodsaylor

Reaction score
This is what I got for the tow mode camera. I found out about it from one of these threads. I'm passing out on.
6953352bc99ce3c4e7c793e31b4947e6.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
This plugs into the bumper? If so I’ll buy one just to test:) thanks!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This plugs into the bumper? If so I’ll buy one just to test:) thanks!

It does not.

That's the Fakra-Z extension cable to move it to the bed or add to the camera end.

That looks like the connector I want, where can I buy one? Short of buying a 700 camera kit?

The Digital Tow mode camera ($425 MSRP) pops up in the buy/sell/trade section occasionally. just buy the kit. ONLY the Ram digital camera will work with that one.

gator6

Reaction score
I’m still having fits with my rear camera. Sometimes it will not register the camera. Other times it flickers in and out, then reverts to the vehicle rear view camera saying there is not a trailer cam connected.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I’m still having fits with my rear camera. Sometimes it will not register the camera. Other times it flickers in and out, then reverts to the vehicle rear view camera saying there is not a trailer cam connected.

Am I remembering correctly - you’re using an extension cable on a 5th wheel right? I think however long the cable is in the kit they say that’s the max. Which works great for travel trailers like mine but leaves 5th wheels in a bad position - maybe they can make a longer cable that doesn’t need an extension? Or maybe there’s a cable manufacturing option to make one solid cable with the right ends?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

If you’re using an aftermarket extension cable, do not use RG174 cable. Make sure it is RG58. The smaller cable just struggles to carry the signal that far, and becomes unstable.

gator6

Reaction score
Am I remembering correctly - you’re using an extension cable on a 5th wheel right? I think however long the cable is in the kit they say that’s the max. Which works great for travel trailers like mine but leaves 5th wheels in a bad position - maybe they can make a longer cable that doesn’t need an extension? Or maybe there’s a cable manufacturing option to make one solid cable with the right ends?

I know there was a user here who used two extensions and never reported an issue. He used a 20’ for the camera side, and a 3’ to move his receiver from the bumper to the bed.

It may be to long, the 20’ on mine would barely work. The 6.5’ worked fine, but was just short. I have a second 6.5’, but installed a 10’ instead. I may switch out the 10’ for the extra 6.5’ and see how that goes. If not I may need to look into an in-line amplifier.

gator6

Reaction score
If you’re using an aftermarket extension cable, do not use RG174 cable. Make sure it is RG58. The smaller cable just struggles to carry the signal that far, and becomes unstable.

Good info, not sure which I’m using. It’s the one listed above, I’ll look into your suggestion before purchasing again.

mountainears

Reaction score
For the 350 cameras and a v-nose trailer, in the instructions it says you’ll need to fabricate a spacer.

Has anyone made / 3D Printed one already and care to share? 09242ECB-ADFE-408F-86CD-97569ADBE349.jpeg

gator6

Reaction score

I’m looking all through the description and I can’t see the RG number on this…

Bingfu Fakra Z Female to Male Vehicle Antenna Extension ... https://a.co/d/dpXawbp

Have you found one with the RG58?

Users who are viewing this thread