Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Steelstef

Reaction score
Ok so there is a tonne of confusion surrounding this but somebody please tell me if this is the summary that makes sense or if I'm still wrong... If you have XN1 trailer surround view camera and a truck with the digital rear view mirror option, you technically would need to have 5 camera's on the trailer? front, sides and 2 on the rear? One for the surround view low speed parking and backing up type stuff and a separately wired fakra connector camera to provide the signal to the digital rear view mirror so you can see what's behind you while you are driving down the highway? AND.... that camera is only wired to the bumper area not in the box? Do I have that right? :)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so there is a tonne of confusion surrounding this but somebody please tell me if this is the summary that makes sense or if I'm still wrong... If you have XN1 trailer surround view camera and a truck with the digital rear view mirror option, you technically would need to have 5 camera's on the trailer? front, sides and 2 on the rear? One for the surround view low speed parking and backing up type stuff and a separately wired fakra connector camera to provide the signal to the digital rear view mirror so you can see what's behind you while you are driving down the highway? AND.... that camera is only wired to the bumper area not in the box? Do I have that right? :)

Correct.

The 12 pin connector for trailer cameras (auxiliary or surround view) is located BOTH in the bed, and in the rear bumper but only ONE is active at a time. You have to crawl under the truck and change the weather proof connect from one location or the other. The tow mode trailer camera for the digital rear view mirror is only located at the rear bumper location to the left of the license plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelstef

Reaction score
Correct.

The 12 pin connector for trailer cameras (auxiliary or surround view) is located BOTH in the bed, and in the rear bumper but only ONE is active at a time. You have to crawl under the truck and change the weather proof connect from one location or the other. The tow mode trailer camera for the digital rear view mirror is only located at the rear bumper location to the left of the license plate.

I was hoping I was wrong lol. But I suppose the downward orientation of the rear surround view cam would not provide a great behind the trailer view down the highway. Here is the next question. Does anybody have the part # to the single rear view camera that we can install and work with the digital rear view? Or did I miss that in the 13 pages of confusion?

aaron_huber

Reaction score
I was hoping I was wrong lol. But I suppose the downward orientation of the rear surround view cam would not provide a great behind the trailer view down the highway. Here is the next question. Does anybody have the part # to the single rear view camera that we can install and work with the digital rear view? Or did I miss that in the 13 pages of confusion?
There are pics of the kit back a few pages, including the part number.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

You wouldn’t be able to use the rear facing surround view camera on the highway anyway as I believe it has a speed limited activation. I’m pretty sure After a few miles per hour they cut out.

Steelstef

Reaction score
There are pics of the kit back a few pages, including the part number.

Thanks yup that part number 68527599aa is not available to purchase yet... guess I'm out of luck and waiting! Thanks for the reply though!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks yup that part number 68527599aa is not available to purchase yet... guess I'm out of luck and waiting! Thanks for the reply though!

I’m afraid it’s going to be a while before they’re available for independent purchase. My truck has the connector for the digital tow mode camera but I did not select the option to get the camera delivered with the truck. Back in July when I ordered neither I nor my salesman understood the camera options like we do today. In hindsight I wish I would’ve just clicked it and had it sent with the truck. At least I’ll have the port to connect a camera. Perhaps in a short time an aftermarket one may become available that is a higher quality and we can go that route.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You wouldn’t be able to use the rear facing surround view camera on the highway anyway as I believe it has a speed limited activation. I’m pretty sure After a few miles per hour they cut out.

If it works like the current systems, and I suspect it does, it can be activated but drops after 8 seconds.

We have a thread here for an aftermarket NAViKS box that defeats the camera in motion dropout, but who knows if/when they'll update it for the 22+ UC5 with trailer surround.

gator6

Reaction score
From what I’ve been told, the surround system only works at parking speeds (3mph).

That being said it seems that the OTHER trailer camera options would be used for rear view applications, but your limited to 40’.

MegaStro

Reaction score
OK folks, got the new truck and thought the plugs would be blanks or dummies, I crawled under the truck today and there are wires running to them as well. Is it possible the truck is "ready" to activate these many camera features?

Attachments

• 20211203_102907[1].jpg
    20211203_102907[1].jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20211203_102852[1].jpg
    20211203_102852[1].jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 50

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
OK folks, got the new truck and thought the plugs would be blanks or dummies, I crawled under the truck today and there are wires running to them as well. Is it possible the truck is "ready" to activate these many camera features?
Yep.

I only ordered the digital tow mode camera, but it came with the 12 pin connector also. I see options to use the cameras in Uconnect, I just don’t have them.

Blowenblu

Reaction score
For anyone thinking about getting the XH7 Trailer Tow Mode Camera (Wired) option, here are pictures of the hardware and a pdf of the instructions I received with my just-arrived 2022 Limited Level 1 3500 DRW with the XH7 option and without the trailer surround camera option. When I have a chance, I'll test wire it up and show how it looks in the digital rear view mirror. But, as a preview, the digital mirror includes a menu option (selectable on the rearview mirror itself) to switch between the normal rearview camera image and the trailer camera. I hope this information helps.

The kit comes in a large bag containing two smaller bags. The kit part number is shown as (P)68527599AA. I'm not sure if the "(P)" is actually part of the part number.
View attachment 23335
The larger of the two bags includes a 50' cable (15.4m), 40 X 12"cable ties, a docking station (this is a cable end holder, used as a dust cap when the cable is not attached to a truck), and screws to mount the docking station to a trailer.
View attachment 23338

Detail of the "truck" end of the cable.
View attachment 23339 View attachment 23340

Detail of the "camera" end of the cable.
View attachment 23341

Docking station, open (note closed/blank end)
View attachment 23343

The smaller bag includes the camera pod, camera bracket, 2 X camera bracket trim covers, mounting screws, 50 X 10" cable ties, and 80 X 8" cable ties.
View attachment 23344

Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.
View attachment 23345
On the paper in the 7th picture what is the #1 item shown? It looks like some kind of module. One other question: After running wire to front of truck where does it wire in?

ACEd

Reaction score
I think that is correct with one addition. The 12 pin connector should also support the earlier rear view camera that displays in the uconnect screen. So you could have a choice of rear view camera options. The early 12 pin in the uconnect or the coax in the digital rear view mirror.

Last edited:

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
On the paper in the 7th picture what is the #1 item shown? It looks like some kind of module. One other question: After running wire to front of truck where does it wire in?
That's just the C-Shaped bracket, that holds camera...it's at the top-right if that photo.

The long camera cable connects to a new connector in the bumper, to left of the license plate. Trailer Camera Connector.jpgThe connector came with my truck, presumably because I because I ordered this camera option.

Blowenblu

Reaction score
That's just the C-Shaped bracket, that holds camera...it's at the top-right if that photo.

The long camera cable connects to a new connector in the bumper, to left of the license plate. View attachment 27438The connector came with my truck, presumably because I because I ordered this camera option.

I didn't order the camera option , so what I'm trying to figure out is if I order the kit and add the plug to my bumper, where on truck do you connect the plug to. Is there a pre wired connection under truck bed or do you have to run wire the whole way up to cab or possibly even to the digital mirror?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I didn't order the camera option , so what I'm trying to figure out is if I order the kit and add the plug to my bumper, where on truck do you connect the plug to. Is there a pre wired connection under truck bed or do you have to run wire the whole way up to cab or possibly even to the digital mirror?
If your truck is getting the digital rear view mirror, then the plug for the tow mode camera will already be on the bumper and the truck will be wired for it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If your truck is getting the digital rear view mirror, then the plug for the tow mode camera will already be on the bumper and the truck will be wired for it.

His truck has the digital rearview mirror, I just checked the order tracking sheet. [mention]Blowenblu [/mention] you should be good to go! You’ll just have to buy the camera and wiring for the trailer side of the connection. As jimmy said, your truck should come with the receptacle in the bumper.

Blowenblu

Reaction score
His truck has the digital rearview mirror, I just checked the order tracking sheet. [mention]Blowenblu [/mention] you should be good to go! You’ll just have to buy the camera and wiring for the trailer side of the connection. As jimmy said, your truck should come with the receptacle in the bumper.

Wow, I sure hope you guys are right! That would make life easy. I was under the impression that trucks wouldn't come with the bumper plug unless you ordered the (XH7- Tow mode camera wired) option. Did you guys get the XH7 option on your trucks?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I sure hope you guys are right! That would make life easy. I was under the impression that trucks wouldn't come with the bumper plug unless you ordered the (XH7- Tow mode camera wired) option. Did you guys get the XH7 option on your trucks?

I was under that impression too initially, however with the help of the people in this forum I found out that isn’t the case. I did not purchase the XH7 kit for my truck, as neither I nor my salesman understood what it was at the time I ordered. I did get the XN1 trailer surround view system though. My truck did come with both the digital rearview mirror, plug for the trailer camera that connects to it, and also the 12 pin trailer camera plug on both the bumper and in the bed. The information on all of this was very confusing at first and Ram has done a lackluster job of informing the buying public and their dealers on how all of this works.

owdiss78

Reaction score
I was under that impression too initially, however with the help of the people in this forum I found out that isn’t the case. I did not purchase the XH7 kit for my truck, as neither I nor my salesman understood what it was at the time I ordered. I did get the XN1 trailer surround view system though. My truck did come with both the digital rearview mirror, plug for the trailer camera that connects to it, and also the 12 pin trailer camera plug on both the bumper and in the bed. The information on all of this was very confusing at first and Ram has done a lackluster job of informing the buying public and their dealers on how all of this works.

If I ever get my truck I’d sell my kit it was dealers mistake clicking on that option and already decided it’s not anything I want to instal there is wireless options out there just want see it through the rear view camera.

Users who are viewing this thread