Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Are you using dielectric grease on the connector and rings?
No. I do on the 7-pin but hadn’t thought of it for the camera cable…good suggestion. Still - the fit of the plug into the socket is exceedingly tight. These little o-rings are going to get chewed up either way so I’m going to want a supply of them for sure. Thanks.

gator6

Reaction score
No. I do on the 7-pin but hadn’t thought of it for the camera cable…good suggestion. Still - the fit of the plug into the socket is exceedingly tight. These little o-rings are going to get chewed up either way so I’m going to want a supply of them for sure. Thanks.

I do think having a stock would be a good thing, but definitely put the grease on there. [mention]mbarber84 [/mention] has already posted about the unused connections showing signs of oxidation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsboening

Reaction score
Thanks! I had a stomach-turning moment yesterday when I had to cut a hole for the dryer vent my wife wants to be installed for our trip. Something about cutting into a vehicle with a hole-saw.

d93a6d20e394f4cd2c4f42024c8cab01.jpg

b370798b0ac0481ea5bb0f7008c7be0d.jpg

a87556aced05cf46c234b3aa8b76c4a7.jpg

aa2ebd3f3cb88c4dc7c6161591124689.jpg
That takes ballzzz.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I do think having a stock would be a good thing, but definitely put the grease on there. [mention]mbarber84 [/mention] has already posted about the unused connections showing signs of oxidation.

To be clear - you’re suggesting dialectic on the o rings as well as inside on the connection points of the cable? I have no problem with that on my 7-pin but for some reason I’m concerned about greasing the electrical part of this particular cable. I’ll be fine really :cool:

gator6

Reaction score
To be clear - you’re suggesting dialectic on the o rings as well as inside on the connection points of the cable? I have no problem with that on my 7-pin but for some reason I’m concerned about greasing the electrical part of this particular cable. I’ll be fine really :cool:

I put a thin coat on all my camera connections. Learned that one from my comms guy when setting up or boats for missions.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Ok -2 things:

First - to Brutal_HO and gator6 - thanks for the grease suggestion. We went camping this weekend and getting the plug in and out was MUCH better! I think I was nervous that the camera cable is so unique that anything that touches it would kill it - I was wrong. Works like a charm. I still want a bag of those o-rings though and haven’t heard back from anyone I’ve contacted on exactly what size and/or part number…

Second - on my concern about the camera automatically pointing down in reverse, I learned in real time you CAN NOT adjust this setting while in reverse! That really screwed up my plans. Now, this may have been obvious to everyone else, but it just dawned on me today that since it always starts in the position you left it in (meaning, whatever you’ve set for brightness controls, up/down, L/R, level, is where the camera/mirror is when you start the truck with the camera plugged in), I could just reset the visual field location to be what I want when the camera is in its lowest position. Just did it and tested that when it goes in to reverse there’s no where else for it to travel! So it will keep the view I want and it’s almost exactly in the position I originally set it to. While there are many click points on the mounting bracket, they’re not micro-millimeters apart - but it’s close enough for jazz so I consider this a victory in terms of tricking the camera to do what I want!

gator6

Reaction score
Ok -2 things:

First - to Brutal_HO and gator6 - thanks for the grease suggestion. We went camping this weekend and getting the plug in and out was MUCH better! I think I was nervous that the camera cable is so unique that anything that touches it would kill it - I was wrong. Works like a charm. I still want a bag of those o-rings though and haven’t heard back from anyone I’ve contacted on exactly what size and/or part number…

Second - on my concern about the camera automatically pointing down in reverse, I learned in real time you CAN NOT adjust this setting while in reverse! That really screwed up my plans. Now, this may have been obvious to everyone else, but it just dawned on me today that since it always starts in the position you left it in (meaning, whatever you’ve set for brightness controls, up/down, L/R, level, is where the camera/mirror is when you start the truck with the camera plugged in), I could just reset the visual field location to be what I want when the camera is in its lowest position. Just did it and tested that when it goes in to reverse there’s no where else for it to travel! So it will keep the view I want and it’s almost exactly in the position I originally set it to. While there are many click points on the mounting bracket, they’re not micro-millimeters apart - but it’s close enough for jazz so I consider this a victory in terms of tricking the camera to do what I want!

Not a problem! Our purpose here is to offer advice make everyone’s experience better. Before talking with [mention]beckty85 [/mention] a couple weeks back, I had no idea the camera panned down while in reverse, but I had adjusted it so I could see about 15 yards astern while in the low setting in cab.

I’ve got two new cables in now to fix my length issue. A 6.5’ and 10’ to go along with the current 6.5’ extension. I think I should be good with just the 10’, and considering that only adds 3.5’ to my current setup, I should be good. I came up JUST short with a 6.5’ extension, the sharp turns while moving around my buddy’s property popped the coax right out of the bumper.

The next hurdle is how to prep the cable to recoil as the truck completes its turn so it doesn’t drag on the ground. I lucked out with finding out I was short in the grass, had it happened on the road my truck connection would’ve been donzo.

gator6

Reaction score
I may have come up with a solution to having slack in my rearview cable issue.

Other than moving the jack to the bed, and bringing the cable down through the kingpin hole…which would be easier in the long run, had I put in a bit more time and effort.

Looking at my slide outs tonight I noticed they use springs to keep the slack from pinching the cables. I may ask a local dealer if I could get my hands on one before getting on the road next week.

14e7b727100b8874a9db115ca235f0a1.jpg

Pat Prince

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing signal interruptions with extensions being used. My set up works fine for hours then losses the camera signal and says camera is unavailable along with a service required warning in the evic. I have the same set up most have used with a 10ft Farrah extension and bed relocation with no extension on that side. Sometimes it works for 1 hour, sometimes for 4 hours. Continues to work if you shut down and restart the truck.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is an option for a 3500 regular cab? I see wired tow-mode camera and trailer camera wiring (no camera) by Mopar. Thx

Dlleno

Reaction score
Pls pardon the dumb question... the trailer Surround camera system comes with two cable lengths (module to 12 pin) . I've connected them together but can't get them apart! What's the secret...

Attachments

• 20220607_205924.jpg
    20220607_205924.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 21

QuattroCS

Reaction score
Pls pardon the dumb question... the trailer Surround camera system comes with two cable lengths (module to 12 pin) . I've connected them together but can't get them apart! What's the secret...
is the red slider (unlock) as far back as it can go?

Dlleno

Reaction score
is the red slider (unlock) as far back as it can go?
Yes its all the way back and i can see that the little hook (end of the red slider) is engaged when pushed all the way in. It feels like there is something else holding it, but I just can't see anything

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yes its all the way back and i can see that the little hook (end of the red slider) is engaged when pushed all the way in. It feels like there is something else holding it, but I just can't see anything
If the red lock is all the way back, press down on the black release lever and wiggle them apart. It’s a weather sealed connector, so there is some suction resistance that makes them hard to pull apart.

Dlleno

Reaction score
If the red lock is all the way back, press down on the black release lever and wiggle them apart. It’s a weather sealed connector, so there is some suction resistance that makes them hard to pull apart.
Is that the black release lever?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-102054_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220608-102054_Gallery.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 20

Dlleno

Reaction score
Thank you that's what I needed! Took a small screw driver to actually lift the black release lever over that pin

gator6

Reaction score
Yes! Having the same issue. [mention]22limited [/mention] are you having these too?

I flip the mirror down and back to reset, but eventually I’m looking at my 5er nose. I flip it down for 10/15 min and it may come back, sometimes not. While, just as you stated, sometimes it’ll work for hours…others just minutes.

I’m going to zip tie the connectors better to see if that helps this next haul, but so far it is a frustrating experience…albeit, great when it works!

gator6

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing signal interruptions with extensions being used. My set up works fine for hours then losses the camera signal and says camera is unavailable along with a service required warning in the evic. I have the same set up most have used with a 10ft Farrah extension and bed relocation with no extension on that side. Sometimes it works for 1 hour, sometimes for 4 hours. Continues to work if you shut down and restart the truck.

Yes! Having the same issue. [mention]22limited [/mention] are you having these too?

I flip the mirror down and back to reset, but eventually I’m looking at my 5er nose. I flip it down for 10/15 min and it may come back, sometimes not. While, just as you stated, sometimes it’ll work for hours…others just minutes.

I’m going to zip tie the connectors better to see if that helps this next haul, but so far it is a frustrating experience…albeit, great when it works!

Users who are viewing this thread