Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Icky

Reaction score
I could, but would have to get a longer extension which only connects on the camera end. And all that is zipped tied up.

A 10’ would probably work, but the 20’ that I had originally ordered was either too long (funny cause they’ve worked for others here) or was just a bad cable (probably what happened). I just didn’t have the thought to order a second 20’ along with the 6.5’ to test.

The harness for the 360° is actually smaller and it was a tight fit getting it around the fiberglass and frame. I may try this in the future when I have nothing else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just curious as my genesis toyhauler looks similar in the front and eventually I'll figure out how to get a camera set up. I have no use for the 360 camera, we'll I could use it, but I have no desire to try and wire it in my trailer.

gator6

Reaction score
Just curious as my genesis toyhauler looks similar in the front and eventually I'll figure out how to get a camera set up. I have no use for the 360 camera, we'll I could use it, but I have no desire to try and wire it in my trailer.

In all honesty the awnings on the right side pretty much negate close-in viewing, and the front camera is useless in general when you know the truck is there. What a buddy and I came up with was instead of doing some crazy mount so I could see my truck, we just made it like a high-forward looking camera like a spotter for looking over traffic.

It would work wonders on a box trailer, but I ordered it so I’ll use it. I’m not traveling the country with my box trailer. It is what it is, with a little more effort and a C&C machine I can make it better, just need the time.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
In all honesty the awnings on the right side pretty much negate close-in viewing, and the front camera is useless in general when you know the truck is there. What a buddy and I came up with was instead of doing some crazy mount so I could see my truck, we just made it like a high-forward looking camera like a spotter for looking over traffic.

It would work wonders on a box trailer, but I ordered it so I’ll use it. I’m not traveling the country with my box trailer. It is what it is, with a little more effort and a C&C machine I can make it better, just need the time.

Good to hear some real life feedback. I was back and forth on these, and I've been towing crap around for 20 years so I figured why start now with the cameras. (Granted I don't have the 3 axle beast you have)

Seems like it would have been a nicety but not necessity, and saved myself a couple bucks. Although having them I would have mounted one IN the trailer and one in the horse trailer to see what's going on.

gator6

Reaction score
Digital rearview trailer camera not working.

The other day, we ran all the cable out, tested, sat… applied dielectric grease, tested, sat… mounted, tested, sat… it worked fine the other day!

I came in this afternoon to get it positioned just right, hooked up, nothing… plugged in the 360° and trailer just to confirm it didn’t need this (it didn’t needed it when I tested at dealer), nothing. I went back and disconnected the extension and plugged the camera into the factory cable, nothing.

At a loss right now, not sure where to turn.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Digital rearview trailer camera not working.

The other day, we ran all the cable out, tested, sat… applied dielectric grease, tested, sat… mounted, tested, sat… it worked fine the other day!

I came in this afternoon to get it positioned just right, hooked up, nothing… plugged in the 360° and trailer just to confirm it didn’t need this (it didn’t needed it when I tested at dealer), nothing. I went back and disconnected the extension and plugged the camera into the factory cable, nothing.

At a loss right now, not sure where to turn.

There was a video posted I think in this thread about a disconnected junction in the cab - maybe yours was loose? Grasping at straws - I know this sucks!! Good luck!!

Icky

Reaction score
There was a video posted I think in this thread about a disconnected junction in the cab - maybe yours was loose? Grasping at straws - I know this sucks!! Good luck!!
I watched that video, I wonder if a tone tracer could be used to verify this instead of taking the whole cab apart

gator6

Reaction score

No! It was the damn truck connector! I guess you have to gently guide it in, mash the hell out of her, while making a goat sacrifice to King Neptune just to get it to work.

Got it back, dialed in and tightened down. Just have to plug it in when the sun is just right in the sky.

d3ed8a7c8b2ac6716f8b1c04d104353d.jpg

RichOutlaw

Reaction score
No! It was the damn truck connector! I guess you have to gently guide it in, mash the hell out of her, while making a goat sacrifice to King Neptune just to get it to work.

Got it back, dialed in and tightened down. Just have to plug it in when the sun is just right in the sky.

I set mine up and it just works.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score

Glad you got it going. Yeah - I’m not a fan of the weirdness of the connector or how the ports on my RAM bumper feel “loose”. For that matter, as much as I love the mirror cam, finding some way to integrate it in to the 7-pin harness might have been a better connection choice but not sure that’s possible.

gator6

Reaction score
Glad you got it going. Yeah - I’m not a fan of the weirdness of the connector or how the ports on my RAM bumper feel “loose”. For that matter, as much as I love the mirror cam, finding some way to integrate it in to the 7-pin harness might have been a better connection choice but not sure that’s possible.

Or just wireless! Ford already has done it! Of course it’s rumored to be an upgrade to the ‘23. Today’s rigs have prewired leads for wiring a wireless camera, so why not? Well, we can sell an up-charged camera system, that’s why. It is what it is.

gator6

Reaction score
Thought I had enough length, guess not. Turned the rig around and the cable popped out before completing the turn. Just wound it up and pressed on without. Probably order an additional cable, or a longer one and try again.

5745a75318926f85d6e9035d0d2faec8.jpg

b741f4c5100377be6aca8ec0c38f9461.jpg

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Dangblastit!! I could use some help from the good folks here…..

I have searched the forums, and my online manual, and the googlator - I can not find what I’m looking for.

Early on I found the setting in uconnect to turn on or off the feature for outside mirrors to tilt down when you go in reverse. I set that feature to off. When I plugged in my trailer camera (which displays in the digital rear view mirror) it tilted down when I’m reverse. Which I don’t want.

There doesn’t seem to be a control in uconnect for this and all searches to this point have proved fruitless.

I’m going to be embarrassed if this is the equivalent question to “what’s the bag with the plastic part” (when removing the tailgate)…but I’ll accept that moment of shame if there’s an answer! Many thanks!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I have searched the forums, and my online manual, and the googlator - I can not find what I’m looking for.

Early on I found the setting in uconnect to turn on or off the feature for outside mirrors to tilt down when you go in reverse. I set that feature to off. When I plugged in my trailer camera (which displays in the digital rear view mirror) it tilted down when I’m reverse. Which I don’t want.

There doesn’t seem to be a control in uconnect for this and all searches to this point have proved fruitless.

I’m going to be embarrassed if this is the equivalent question to “what’s the bag with the plastic part” (when removing the tailgate)…but I’ll accept that moment of shame if there’s an answer! Many thanks!!

That setting (if an option) would be in the rearview mirror controls, not UConnect.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

The feature you are referring to only applies to the side mirrors controlled by the door modules for physically tilting the mirrors down.
The digital rear view mirror feature is different, and there’s no way to stop the tow camera from panning down when in reverse. Presumably, the idea is to mount it up high, and when in reverse, the camera automatically pans down to get the trailer bumper in view to see how close it is to objects.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Side note to anyone reading this thread that might have one laying around, I am actively looking to purchase the Back Up Camera Kit, part # 68527599AA.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
That setting (if an option) would be in the rearview mirror controls, not UConnect.
Thanks - I can 100% confirm isn’t not in UConnect!

The only mirror controls for this are to select which camera (cab or trailer) and for trailer, brightness, tilt up/down, view left/right, and level +/-. There is no setting to override the automatic “tilt in reverse” action.

Perhaps I couldn’t find anything on it because it just doesn’t exist?

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
The feature you are referring to only applies to the side mirrors controlled by the door modules for physically tilting the mirrors down.
The digital rear view mirror feature is different, and there’s no way to stop the tow camera from panning down when in reverse. Presumably, the idea is to mount it up high, and when in reverse, the camera automatically pans down to get the trailer bumper in view to see how close it is to objects.
Thanks for this - I spent the last hour with the camera plugged in futzing around with the digital mirror controls and UConnect.

You’re 100% correct - there is simply no way to turn that “tilt in reverse” action on or off.

Ironically - the instructions for mounting the camera say to not mount it above 5’ something (I don’t have them in front of me, just going on memory). Which is odd…my original Voyager wireless was near the top of the roof and angled slightly downward - it gave a great view from there of what was behind me.

The bracket for the Mopar camera is greatly adjustable so even mounting it high on the trailer, I was able to angle it to roughly the same view as the Voyager, and I can further use the digital mirror controls to angle it up or down, left or right from there. Infinitely adjustable which is great. I just want the OPTION to tilt down or not when in reverse. Or - since Mopar was deciding for the user, perhaps leave it as is and let the user tilt the camera down if they want it that way when in reverse?

But what the heck do I know?

The solution appears to be simple even if annoying - when reversing, the camera will automatically tilt down so I will have to use the mirror controls to tilt it back up.

First world problem for sure!

Hopefully this exchange will help anyone else wondering about the same issue…

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When I had my old 04.5, I had it setup where I could either lock out or fool the radio into thinking it was in reverse. Used it and a hack to fool my in-dash Jensen DVD/screen to show the cameras.

I kind of expect it could introduce other unintended consequences, but it makes one wonder if something similar could be done.

I know the NAViKS fools the radio into thinking it is going 0MPH to enable cameras, in motion NAV, etc...

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I have an email in to MOPAR parts for this but I’m noticing the blue o-rings on the tow camera cable are already getting “mauled” in the bumper connection and holding mount which is supposed to protect the cable from weather when not in use.

I don’t have a problem swapping out o-rings even on a weekly basis, but to have a stock of these I really need to know exactly what part number I need to source for these. Does anyone know? They appear to be about 3/4” around….

Thanks!23146F71-882F-4B53-8A09-2690396CC934.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an email in to MOPAR parts for this but I’m noticing the blue o-rings on the tow camera cable are already getting “mauled” in the bumper connection and holding mount which is supposed to protect the cable from weather when not in use.

I don’t have a problem swapping out o-rings even on a weekly basis, but to have a stock of these I really need to know exactly what part number I need to source for these. Does anyone know? They appear to be about 3/4” around….

Thanks!View attachment 37546

Are you using dielectric grease on the connector and rings?

Users who are viewing this thread