Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If I ever get my truck I’d sell my kit it was dealers mistake clicking on that option and already decided it’s not anything I want to instal there is wireless options out there just want see it through the rear view camera.

Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blowenblu

Reaction score
I was under that impression too initially, however with the help of the people in this forum I found out that isn’t the case. I did not purchase the XH7 kit for my truck, as neither I nor my salesman understood what it was at the time I ordered. I did get the XN1 trailer surround view system though. My truck did come with both the digital rearview mirror, plug for the trailer camera that connects to it, and also the 12 pin trailer camera plug on both the bumper and in the bed. The information on all of this was very confusing at first and Ram has done a lackluster job of informing the buying public and their dealers on how all of this works.

You Guys made my day. I also ordered the XN1 package which I will not be using because there is no way I am going to drill holes in the side of my new camper to mount 4 cameras. As I stated earlier I'm putting a cap on bed and want to add the Trailer camera to the back of the cap. That will make it easy if my truck has the bumper plug. I will tee into it from under truck and run wire to inside of cap. As for the XN1 package my dealer didn't know exactly what it was. I ordered it on my truck and did some research when I got home and found out about the 4 cameras that had to be mounted on camper. I called my dealer and told him to remove it from my order. He tried several times, but for whatever they would not remove it. Dealer told me if it comes in with it on truck he will deduct the $995. and it does show on my window sticker so I guess my truck just got $1,000. cheaper. lol

Woolfman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the tow mode input on the left of the plate is just a video input? Reason I ask is the is a wireless option see link below with an rca out put then I was going to look for an adapter or have a rca to fakra cable made. This would only work if is just a video input.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the tow mode input on the left of the plate is just a video input? Reason I ask is the is a wireless option see link below with an rca out put then I was going to look for an adapter or have a rca to fakra cable made. This would only work if is just a video input.

No, it’s LVDS. The digital rear view mirror can not display an aftermarket camera.

Rampingup

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken please. As I understand it, if I have the digital rear view mirror I should have a special plug in in the rear bumper where I can run a cable & camera to the back of my trailer and toggle between the rear of the truck and the rear of the trailer. If I have the 12 pin round connection in addition to the 7 pin flat blade connection, I can then add the trailer surround cameras which operate from the main radio navigation screen. Am I straight on this?

The reason I ask is I called my dealer parts department to find out about the 2 camera systems. They said the trailer tow system to the 12 pin will operate between the cab & trailer tow only and show up on the nav radio system. He said their parts don't show anything being able to connect the digital rear view mirror. For the system they show he quoted $730 for the camera & $250 labor to install, indicating to me that their was more involved than just plug and go.

Once the truck shows up I can determine if I have the 12 pin round and the coax plug in the bumper. Does anyone know the parts number for the 2 different systems? BTW my truck has the Safety group which spells out the digital mirror and the towing tech group which has the surround view system and trailer reverse guidance. I have more faith in the knowledge base here than at the dealership,

Thanks in advance.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken please. As I understand it, if I have the digital rear view mirror I should have a special plug in in the rear bumper where I can run a cable & camera to the back of my trailer and toggle between the rear of the truck and the rear of the trailer. If I have the 12 pin round connection in addition to the 7 pin flat blade connection, I can then add the trailer surround cameras which operate from the main radio navigation screen. Am I straight on this?

The reason I ask is I called my dealer parts department to find out about the 2 camera systems. They said the trailer tow system to the 12 pin will operate between the cab & trailer tow only and show up on the nav radio system. He said their parts don't show anything being able to connect the digital rear view mirror. For the system they show he quoted $730 for the camera & $250 labor to install, indicating to me that their was more involved than just plug and go.

Once the truck shows up I can determine if I have the 12 pin round and the coax plug in the bumper. Does anyone know the parts number for the 2 different systems? BTW my truck has the Safety group which spells out the digital mirror and the towing tech group which has the surround view system and trailer reverse guidance. I have more faith in the knowledge base here than at the dealership,

Thanks in advance.

You have it correct.

You may struggle to find the digital tow mode camera kit, as many have tried thus far and it doesn’t seem to be available for sale across the parts counter.

The trailer surround view system is a $995 option when ordering a truck and includes everything you need to prepare the trailer, as well as the wiring on the truck side of the connection. If your truck is equipped with the 12 pin camera connection from the factory then you only need the trailer half of the system. There’s nothing to “install” on the truck side because it’s done at the factory. Unless they mean “install the cameras on your trailer” maybe?

Rampingup

Reaction score
Thanks for the affirmation. I read this thread from the beginning to make sure I had it clearly in mind. Maybe the labor they quote was to install on my trailer:eek::eek::eek::eek: There ain't no way I want them to drill holes in my new camper on a product they have no clue about. It appears that their knowledge of Mopar is limited also.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Thanks for the affirmation. I read this thread from the beginning to make sure I had it clearly in mind. Maybe the labor they quote was to install on my trailer:eek::eek::eek::eek: There ain't no way I want them to drill holes in my new camper on a product they have no clue about. It appears that their knowledge of Mopar is limited also.
I don’t think I’d be permanently mounting anyway, probably better off with some heavy duty 3m mounting tape. Maybe heavy duty Velcro.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Have to drill a hole for the power wire for the camera anyway.

If there is a will, there is a way :D

Ain’t you heard of duct tape? All down the side of the trailer.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d be permanently mounting anyway, probably better off with some heavy duty 3m mounting tape. Maybe heavy duty Velcro.
Yep that is what I'm thinking, 3M tape & lap sealant. Not sure where to run wire and look good.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it, doesn't the camera get its power from the wire connected to the truck.

Not sure? I never even opened the box on my trailer surround view camera system yet. I’ve been too busy at work to mess with the system. No matter what there’s a wire going to each camera and I can’t imagine running the wires externally on the trailer. I plan to use it on one of our horse trailers so drilling a hole in the side doesn’t concern me, however I can definitely understand RV owners not wanting to bore holes in them.

mmehlhouse

Reaction score
Just ordered a ‘22 3500 longhorn with the 360 trailer camera system (XN1) as well as the tow mode rear view mirror. I’m trying to figure the wiring out and look for help. My ultimate goal is to have the 360 camera on our horse trailer, an auxiliary camera for watching the horses inside, and the ability to view the rear camera through the rear view mirror as well as in reverse on the UC5 screen.

My question is, which cameras are wired into the 12 pin and if it’s a separate camera for the rear view mirror that plugs into the new port to the left of the license plate.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered a ‘22 3500 longhorn with the 360 trailer camera system (XN1) as well as the tow mode rear view mirror. I’m trying to figure the wiring out and look for help. My ultimate goal is to have the 360 camera on our horse trailer, an auxiliary camera for watching the horses inside, and the ability to view the rear camera through the rear view mirror as well as in reverse on the UC5 screen.

My question is, which cameras are wired into the 12 pin and if it’s a separate camera for the rear view mirror that plugs into the new port to the left of the license plate.

The trailer surround view cameras (4) connect to a central vision processing unit, that unit connects to the 12 pin connector to the right of the license plate bracket on your truck. An auxiliary camera would also connect to the 12 pin connector.

The digital rearview mirror two mode camera connects to the plug on the left side of your license plate bracket. It is a separate camera and wiring.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I guarantee you the $730 kit they are talking about is this- 82216068AD. That is the standard analog aux trailer dual camera kit (that comes with one camera). It used the 12-pin, but on 2022 trucks, if you have the regular truck 360 system, you can only use one of those cameras.

mmehlhouse

Reaction score
The trailer surround view cameras (4) connect to a central vision processing unit, that unit connects to the 12 pin connector to the right of the license plate bracket on your truck. An auxiliary camera would also connect to the 12 pin connector.

The digital rearview mirror two mode camera connects to the plug on the left side of your license plate bracket. It is a separate camera and wiring.

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you! So it is certainly possible to have the four cameras for the 360, an auxiliary camera inside as well as the digital rearview camera plugged in all at once. That is good to know. I also assume the “two mode” for the rear view camera system means it works in the rear view mirror as well as on the screen when in reverse?

Users who are viewing this thread