Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 3500 trailer sway

boeller

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I have a 2022 Ram 3500 dual rear wheel with AIR RIDE suspension. I am having a serious issue when pulling my 40 foot 5th wheel camper. It starts to sway at 60 to 65 MPH I have tried
air ride adjustment but still have issues. I use to have a 2015 Chevrolet 3500 dual rear wheel and never had an issue. Same camper and there were times I didnt realize I was going 75 MPH and never had
a sway problem. I have searched the web for info and called my local dealer but they have never heard of this issue. Is my 5th wheel hitch too low? Too high? does adjusting my 5th wheel hitch height help?
Thank you all in advance for any advice. FYI I have had multiple 5th wheels over the last 15 yrs and have driven tractor trailers so I feel I am not a rookie at this.
Again Thank You.
Brian

waveslayer

Reaction score
I had this happen and it ended up being the tire pressure on the trailer

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I'd check tire pressure all around.

Then I check to see if the 5th wheel trailer is level while being towed. Worse being nose up than nose down.

Ive only had those type of issues with unlevel trailers.

boeller

Reaction score
Sorry I should have said that I put new load range G tires on camper too. All pressures are on the money. I will also check trailer nose.

Thank you for the tip.

davidh1329

Reaction score
Had you pulled this truck/camper combo on the old tires? Just the geometry of 5th wheel towing should keep it from swaying. Something must be really amiss. Could the tire shop have left the lug nuts loose? Is it a toy hauler? Too much weight in the back (pin light) can make one squirrelly - still odd for a 5th wheel

boeller

Reaction score
David, yes I have pulled with old tires as the camper is only 1 yr old and I don't like factory tires but decided to hold off until I got new truck that has factory tire sensors for the trailer
that communicate with the factory TPMS system. I personally put tires on and they are torqued to specs. No it isn't a toy hauler. I am totally mind blown by this. I literally came home from camping trip 1oo miles away with my old Chevy 3500 and unhooked it. The next week picked up New truck, hooked up camper and went about 40 miles from home and it was awful towing. Since then its been a mind game on what the heck to do. Not a thing changed with camper. Only thing I can think of is maybe new truck sits higher or lower than old truck and maybe camper ride is a bit different. i have confirmed it all looks level. Can raising my hitch or lowering it change my pin weight? Just curious. CRAZY Stuff. Never had this situation. I have pulled some sketchy stuff before but damn this one has me going nuts.

Sauksxs

Reaction score
David, yes I have pulled with old tires as the camper is only 1 yr old and I don't like factory tires but decided to hold off until I got new truck that has factory tire sensors for the trailer
that communicate with the factory TPMS system. I personally put tires on and they are torqued to specs. No it isn't a toy hauler. I am totally mind blown by this. I literally came home from camping trip 1oo miles away with my old Chevy 3500 and unhooked it. The next week picked up New truck, hooked up camper and went about 40 miles from home and it was awful towing. Since then its been a mind game on what the heck to do. Not a thing changed with camper. Only thing I can think of is maybe new truck sits higher or lower than old truck and maybe camper ride is a bit different. i have confirmed it all looks level. Can raising my hitch or lowering it change my pin weight? Just curious. CRAZY Stuff. Never had this situation. I have pulled some sketchy stuff before but damn this one has me going nuts.
What type of hitch do you have?
Does your hitch adjust fwd or aft you may need to move it a bit fwd or aft of the rear axle my
Guess is a bit fwd

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I have a 2022 Ram 3500 dual rear wheel with AIR RIDE suspension. I am having a serious issue when pulling my 40 foot 5th wheel camper. It starts to sway at 60 to 65 MPH I have tried
air ride adjustment but still have issues. I use to have a 2015 Chevrolet 3500 dual rear wheel and never had an issue. Same camper and there were times I didnt realize I was going 75 MPH and never had
a sway problem. I have searched the web for info and called my local dealer but they have never heard of this issue. Is my 5th wheel hitch too low? Too high? does adjusting my 5th wheel hitch height help?
Thank you all in advance for any advice. FYI I have had multiple 5th wheels over the last 15 yrs and have driven tractor trailers so I feel I am not a rookie at this.
Again Thank You.
Brian
You are obviously no rookie. Have you checked the air bag pressures, faulty sensor adjustment?

BAT3500

Reaction score
Yes, something is wrong somewhere.
I have the same truck, had a srw with air level a both pull my 40 toyhauler just fine. Obviously the drw is even more stable.
Check for broken spring hangers or flattened springs on trailer first. Then look at truck rear suspension hard.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I am pulling a 22K fifth wheel with my dually and I don't even know it is back there. And my trailer sits a couple of inches nose hight. Since the trailer pulled fine with the old truck, I suspect there is a problem with the new truck. I assume you are using the puck system so the pin should be right over the back axle and should not effect handling. Go over the front and rear suspension with a fine toothed comb. That dually should handle like it is on rails.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
In my experience, Rams both 2500s and 3500s have a tendency to pull a fiver somewhat nose high. Adjust your setup accordingly if possible. That and believe it or not an inadequate lube plate can cause perceived sway issues due to 5th wheel plate binding.

Users who are viewing this thread