Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 2500 Laramie - Tire Wandering

DanC

Reaction score
Good day, folks. I purchased a 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie Hemi 6.4L which was delivered in November. From the get go, I noticed the steering feeling "loose". After looking through some forum threads, I found that others experienced the same and described it as "wandering", which describes what I'm feeling. The truck tends to move right or left of center randomly with no feedback in the steering wheel (that is, it's moving and I don't feel it moving, just see it). I correct the wander and when nothing significant happens, I correct more, and suddenly i'm going too far in the other direction. It's like driving a boat down the road. The faster i'm going, the worse it is.

Per the forum discussion, I reduced the tire pressure to what it states on the sticker - 60 in the front, 65 in the rear. That did help, although it still occurs. I took it to the dealer who verified there are no mechanical issues. Here are their findings:
The suspension is much softer with a hemi vs the diesel. Suspension is built for the heavier diesel engine and would increasingly make the suspension more stiff. The lighter engine makes for a softer suspension. Condition is normal. No problem found.

There suggestion was to change to a passenger tire versus light truck tire as they are lighter in the side walls and should cause better responsiveness. It does make sense the suspension may react differently with a much lighter engine and that softer sidewall tires may improve responsiveness. However, I'm not comfortable using a passenger tire on my truck. It seems like that's probably not a good idea. I currently have Firestone Transforce AT 275/70R18. What others have said in other forums is those tires are trash and suggested changing tires helped them. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if changing tires helped, and which tires helped. In theory, it doesn't make sense that going to a different tire with the same build (i.e they are probably all the same hardness/ply) would change anything. But perhaps there other improvements in the tire quality itself that would make a difference. I was thinking I'd go with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Any thoughts?

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
I feel like I have to be constantly adjusting the steering wheel to stay in the middle of the lane. I know that’s part of driving but if the car/truck is running optimally, it should just go straight down the road. I’m kind of sick of it, especially after my last road trip towing my Can Am.

I’m definitely not keeping these Transforce junkers on much longer. I wonder if some heavy ATs will help. I feel like my old Titan on Falken Wildpeaks drove straight as an arrow like on rails.

Skurtz036

Reaction score
Could be an alignment issue, read though this, there’s also a pdf for what thuren recommends. My father had this issue with his 19 big horn hemi and following this, corrected the issue.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Better tires will help and having it aligned, setting the toe to zero total will help more.

After that just get used to it. Its a solid front axle Ram - they have always wandered a bit and always will.

farmerkyle

Reaction score
Good day, folks. I purchased a 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie Hemi 6.4L which was delivered in November. From the get go, I noticed the steering feeling "loose". After looking through some forum threads, I found that others experienced the same and described it as "wandering", which describes what I'm feeling. The truck tends to move right or left of center randomly with no feedback in the steering wheel (that is, it's moving and I don't feel it moving, just see it). I correct the wander and when nothing significant happens, I correct more, and suddenly i'm going too far in the other direction. It's like driving a boat down the road. The faster i'm going, the worse it is.

Per the forum discussion, I reduced the tire pressure to what it states on the sticker - 60 in the front, 65 in the rear. That did help, although it still occurs. I took it to the dealer who verified there are no mechanical issues. Here are their findings:

There suggestion was to change to a passenger tire versus light truck tire as they are lighter in the side walls and should cause better responsiveness. It does make sense the suspension may react differently with a much lighter engine and that softer sidewall tires may improve responsiveness. However, I'm not comfortable using a passenger tire on my truck. It seems like that's probably not a good idea. I currently have Firestone Transforce AT 275/70R18. What others have said in other forums is those tires are trash and suggested changing tires helped them. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if changing tires helped, and which tires helped. In theory, it doesn't make sense that going to a different tire with the same build (i.e they are probably all the same hardness/ply) would change anything. But perhaps there other improvements in the tire quality itself that would make a difference. I was thinking I'd go with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Any thoughts?
My 21 Laramie wandered bad when it was new too. I feel like it got better after the tires got worn in a bit. I've experienced that feeling on a previous truck with the Transforce AT tires, so I'm wondering if that might be your problem. Hopefully yours will improve as the tires wear down like mine did.

ACEd

Reaction score

I have never had a wondering feeling with either Transforce AT on previous truck or Transforce HT on new 2022 3500. I would look more at alignment - particularly Toe-in - Had that problem previously on a car with bad toe setting - cant remember details but I believe it was toed out when supposed to be "0" to slightly in on that particular vehicle.

Having just defended the Transforce tires, I will admit that I dont think much of them wear wise, ride wise, and traction wise - changed previous truck to Michelins which rode better in all respects and just changed new truck to Cooper Discoverer AT3/XLT - cant believe they put HT (Highway Tread) on a 4WD truck!.

DO NOT SWITCH TO PASSENGER TIRES - THEY WILL BE DANGEROUSLY UNDER LOAD CAPACITY for a 2500.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Is the truck a 4X4 or 2wd?
2WD is not a solid axle front, so the alignment is different.

But it still could be an alignment issue.

Also why would the dealer tell you to put passenger car tires on??? I'd find a better dealership. Also I'd double check and see if the front springs and shocks are the same between a gas engine and a diesel. I'll bet you find they are different as they have to carry different weights. So the dealership is incorrect and has no clue what they are talking about. Another reason to find a different dealer.

Herrred

Reaction score
My '21 2500 CTD wandered and had very loose and easy steering. Big part of my problem was the Lane Assist. Turned it off and had great results and almost no looseness in the steering.

Users who are viewing this thread