Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 3500 Ordered 6.7 SO 68RFE Should I cancel order and change it to a HO ? MPG SO VS HO 6.7 diesel ?

hylasw

Reaction score
I ordered about a month ago a new 2022 Ram 3500 6.7 diesel 4x4 6'4 bed with the 6.7 SO 68RFE when I ordered I had another truck I was worried about reselling which was a 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel so I was being careful not to spend to much money because worried about selling my other truck so I went with the 6.7 diesel SO with the 68RFE
Here is what I use my truck for I don't drive much around town I use it 85-90% of the time to pull my 28 ft 10,000 lb (GVWR) fifth wheel camper and a 18 ft. boat if I sold my 5th wheel and bought a new one I would never go much bigger maybe a 1 foot at the most we do alot of BLM and mountain forest campgrounds and we have trouble getting our current 5th wheel camper in them as it is so if I bought a new 5th wheel I would never go more than a 29ft and same slide outs and approx. same weight. I never tow anything heavier than my fifth wheel NO HOTSHOTS NO NOTHING !
My 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel worked great for everything I needed it was hard to go up some inclines we live in Utah so some grades it was little slow getting up them but the truck did everything I needed the only reason I wanted a new one is mine was 20 years old and starting to have some problems and thought time for a new truck
I just sold my Truck got good money for it and started researching the 6.7 SO 68RFE VS 6.7 HO AISIN and thought maybe I should go ahead with the HO so I contacted where we ordered and I cannot change the order I would have to cancel order and start the waiting period all over again. My ordered is not even scheduled yet so I figured I might be able to change it but they will not let me.
My questions is for what I am towing do I really need the HO, will the 6.7 SO 68RFE be better than my old 7.3 diesel and do everything I need it to ? Another concern is MPG I want the best MPG possible I have tried researching MPG 6.7 SO 68RFE 3.73 axle VS 6.7 HO AISIN 3.73 axle their really isn't much on MPG I want the best MPG will the SO give me better MPG ?

tchur1

Reaction score
If you ask this to 100 people you're probably going to get 100 different answers. In my opinion, you're totally fine with the SO and 68RFE based on your use case. I tow about the same weights as you and also live in a mountainous region (Lake Tahoe) and I bought the HO purely because I wanted the AISIN and because I have a toxic trait of wanting the "best of the best" for these types of things. But realistically you're barely even going to work the SO powertrain with those weights.

Also here is a whole thread on HO vs Non HO MPGs. Take it all with a grain of salt https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/ho-vs-non-ho-mpg.1089/

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have pulled up to 20k with my 19 2500 SO it pulls great sure the HO has more grunt but the SO pulls plenty fine in my opinion keep in mind my 01 3500 HO i have pulled 30k and that is only 245HP 505TQ and it did good for what it was

bamorris2

Reaction score
At that weight, you are WELL within range of where a SO will excel. Yes the HO may accelerate a bit faster, but then again it might not because of de-fueling on the HO. The SO will not leave you wanting for anymore at that weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senecagreen

Reaction score
Its trans temps the question. what trans temps are people seeing pulling a 10,000 5th wheel up inclines with the 68rfe? At slower speeds?

I never see over 168 but thats a 7000 lbs loaded trailer without the wind drag of a big rv which adds drag to the equation. Either motor is fine. The trans makes the difference.

jebruns

Reaction score
Even SO will 100% be better than your ancient 7.3 FORD
This. If the 7.3 was adequate, the SO will blow you away with how much easier it will pull that load. I read a lot of threads on the HO vs SO mileage before ordering my truck also (thought about going 3500 for a while). It is clear the HO gets worse mileage, given the same basic setup. You can't get the extra power for free. I say stay with what you have ordered.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I'm in pretty much the same boat as the OP, with the exception that once the new is worn off my truck, it will see a heavier load here and there. I have the super low HP version in a C/C truck and the Aisin so not apples to apples but I too was looking for the best fuel mileage plus best long term durability. It's not blowing me away yet but it's barely got 5000 miles on it so I certainly haven't given up yet. My fuel mileage still seems to be improving and it's looking like it will be better than any other diesel pickup I've had. I'm not reporting mileage yet until I'm sure about it but it certainly seems to be doing better than the HO guys are seeing, and my truck is a 10,000# dually.

If the new order is supposed to be arriving soon, I'd just let it come in and check it out. If it doesn't do what you want, order another one. The market on trades is still strong so that shouldn't be an issue. I ordered my truck in December and when we took delivery in April it was worth $10k more than I gave for it. I was tempted to just turn around and order another one. I know we can't depend on this market forever but it doesn't seem to have dropped off much yet.

hylasw

Reaction score
This. If the 7.3 was adequate, the SO will blow you away with how much easier it will pull that load. I read a lot of threads on the HO vs SO mileage before ordering my truck also (thought about going 3500 for a while). It is clear the HO gets worse mileage, given the same basic setup. You can't get the extra power for free. I say stay with what you have ordered.
I tried researching and asked dealers as well for the MPG on 3500 4x4 6'4 bed 6.7 diesel SO 68rfe 3.73 axle vs 3500 4x4 6'4 bed 6.7 diesel HO Aisin axle I got quite a few mixed reviews some reviews told me that the MPG would be the same, some people told me the MPG would be higher on the HO, and some people told me they got better with the HO (which its a little harder for me to believe that)
If I could get a clear answer on that it would really help me make up my mind because MPG is a concern to me, one of the reasons I decided to sell my 2002 7.3 and get a new one is I wanted to try to get better MPG !

hylasw

Reaction score
I'm in pretty much the same boat as the OP, with the exception that once the new is worn off my truck, it will see a heavier load here and there. I have the super low HP version in a C/C truck and the Aisin so not apples to apples but I too was looking for the best fuel mileage plus best long term durability. It's not blowing me away yet but it's barely got 5000 miles on it so I certainly haven't given up yet. My fuel mileage still seems to be improving and it's looking like it will be better than any other diesel pickup I've had. I'm not reporting mileage yet until I'm sure about it but it certainly seems to be doing better than the HO guys are seeing, and my truck is a 10,000# dually.

If the new order is supposed to be arriving soon, I'd just let it come in and check it out. If it doesn't do what you want, order another one. The market on trades is still strong so that shouldn't be an issue. I ordered my truck in December and when we took delivery in April it was worth $10k more than I gave for it. I was tempted to just turn around and order another one. I know we can't depend on this market forever but it doesn't seem to have dropped off much yet.
So Do you have the 6.7 diesel 3.73 SO or HO ?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The dealers have no clue they just tell you what makes them more money

Blythkd1

Reaction score
So Do you have the 6.7 diesel 3.73 SO or HO ?
Technically neither. I bought a '22 Chassis Cab truck. There's only one Cummins option on the C/C trucks and it's lower power than the SO. If I recall correctly the SO power is 370/850 and the C/C engine is 360/800. I felt that power level in a CTD with the Aisin transmission would offer a good blend of power, economy and durability, with the most emphasis on economy. Time will tell.

jebruns

Reaction score
I tried researching and asked dealers as well for the MPG on 3500 4x4 6'4 bed 6.7 diesel SO 68rfe 3.73 axle vs 3500 4x4 6'4 bed 6.7 diesel HO Aisin axle I got quite a few mixed reviews some reviews told me that the MPG would be the same, some people told me the MPG would be higher on the HO, and some people told me they got better with the HO (which its a little harder for me to believe that)
If I could get a clear answer on that it would really help me make up my mind because MPG is a concern to me, one of the reasons I decided to sell my 2002 7.3 and get a new one is I wanted to try to get better MPG !
Yeah, it is hard to know what to believe. When I was looking into it, I put a lot of weight on the folks that hand calculated each time. The dash readout on my 18 SO has been as much as 2mpg off and is always, 100% of the time, optimistic. I only look at it as a rough estimate. And I know a couple of guys that have owned both (SRW's), pulling the same trailer. They both say the mileage is noticeably worse with the HO. They like their HO's and all, but there is a penalty for more power.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah, it is hard to know what to believe. When I was looking into it, I put a lot of weight on the folks that hand calculated each time. The dash readout on my 18 SO has been as much as 2mpg off and is always, 100% of the time, optimistic. I only look at it as a rough estimate. And I know a couple of guys that have owned both (SRW's), pulling the same trailer. They both say the mileage is noticeably worse with the HO. They like their HO's and all, but there is a penalty for more power.
See my MPG read out always reads way low around 5-6mpg low due to the amount of idling in high idle i tend to do

Users who are viewing this thread