Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 3500 - Aisin P0713

agtcovert

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious if anyone else has seen this code on an AIsin. Headed out this morning, it's about 35 degrees here, fired up my truck. Once I put it in reverse, check engine came on and I noticed my trans temp monitor reading (I have it on the center right) was negative. At first, gear limit wouldn't let me go above 4th gear, but that went away. Outside of a bit harder 'clunk' when shifting into drive, the only other thing I noticed was shifting to park or neutral caused the temp reading to jump 40-50 degrees. Going back to drive dropped it by about the same amount.

I was on a long trip Wed-Sunday, and noticed I was getting trans temp readings between 145-155 which seemed a bit low, but the weather was crappy and cold so I didn't think much of it. Didn't have any load on it, just shy of 2900 miles on the truck.

P0713 -> Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

I'm *assuming* this is just a crap sensor. I have no gear ratio codes or anything like that. Dealer can't get me in until Nov. 29, and of course, there's no guarantee on parts. Was hoping someone else might've seen this, I can look and see if something's just loose.

Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty sensor but i would also look quick make sure no wires rubbing anywhere (unlikely)

agtcovert

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this up in case anyone else runs into this: the saga continues. Cleared the P0713 code, it popped again the next day, cleared it again and set an appointment at the dealer. Saved freeze frame data and all that for them. They basically looked at it and then said because there wasn't any active code, everything looked good. I kept trying to explain it's not normal for the trans temp in the EVIC to drop 30-40 degrees when going from P-R-N to Drive. The 'tech' claims the Aisin ups fluid pressure/draws more fluid when in drive -- while that might make sense -- why would I get negative values that are far below the ambient temp when the truck is cold? They have no logic, no ability to look at other data, just stare at a computer. It's infuriating.

Fast forward to this morning: grabbed a cup of coffee, went to pay, put it in park and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. CEL on, no front/back park warning, and the trans seemed to lock into 3rd gear and stay there. Drove home, restarted, CEL still on but gears were back. Slapped the scanner on and got today's code: P0708 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input. Took it back to dealer, they did get me hooked up with a rental. I hope they find their brains though. From my inexperienced point of view, there's an obvious problem with either the wiring (could be just something loose, although I've checked under the truck for loose connections) or some other piece of electronics that just needs replaced.

And, I've got a couple things coming up where I need to tow. The loaner Grand Cherokee is actually pretty nice, but ... not going to cut it. And I'm probably not allowed to tow with a rental anyway. :cool:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
First rule of CEL/weird club here has been to push in all the fuses and check underhood grounds.

It's probably something else, but until you do that, you could just be chasing your tail.

agtcovert

Reaction score
First rule of CEL/weird club here has been to push in all the fuses and check underhood grounds.

It's probably something else, but until you do that, you could just be chasing your tail.
I checked all the fuses, and I've been under the truck twice checking the wire harness on the trans and what it connects to upstream. Still waiting to hear from the dealer, so I don't have it handy to trace grounds. Hopefully I'll get some news next week, I'm not really holding my breath for what's left of this week.

agtcovert

Reaction score
The saga continues. :(

They've diagnosed a bad valve body. Apparently FCA sent a 'new' one and it was bad too, they couldn't program or put the trans into relearn mode after they installed it. And now I'm being told the part's on backorder and they don't know if it'll be 2 weeks or 2 months. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. Truck's been at the dealer since December 2.

I asked if an aftermarket unit could be subbed (looks like nextgendiesel has one), but of course that's a hard no.

3500guy

Reaction score
Ask your dealer if through "Dealer Connect" they have searched other dealers to see if anyone of them has the part in inventory. Even though this is a warrantable repair Chrysler has provisions to purchase from another dealer for warranty repairs, in Canada anyways.

agtcovert

Reaction score
^ Thanks, this did help. Got the part a couple weeks ago, and while everything seems OK, it's still not right as far as I'm concerned. My original issue, with the trans temp reading in Drive being lower than P/R/N remains. Since it's cold right now, that results in the trans being absolute garbage until it thinks it's warmer. Won't go past 4th gear. Can't find much on the internet about that, and I don't know if they replaced the harness when they did the valve body, or if that's included with a new VB.

Hasn't set any codes, so I'm just dealing for now. See how it does once I have our new 5th wheel, in the process of figuring out what we want.

lenh22

Reaction score
^ Thanks, this did help. Got the part a couple weeks ago, and while everything seems OK, it's still not right as far as I'm concerned. My original issue, with the trans temp reading in Drive being lower than P/R/N remains. Since it's cold right now, that results in the trans being absolute garbage until it thinks it's warmer. Won't go past 4th gear. Can't find much on the internet about that, and I don't know if they replaced the harness when they did the valve body, or if that's included with a new VB.

Hasn't set any codes, so I'm just dealing for now. See how it does once I have our new 5th wheel, in the process of figuring out what we want.
Any update???

Users who are viewing this thread