Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 5500 hotshot secret engine oil results

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score
Hello everyone, pls forgive me if im posting this in a wrong thread.

Need some info from the folks that have been using hotshot secret engine oil.

I just bought a 2021 Ram 5500 (currently fully stock) that I use for towing heavy loads everyday.

I changed the initial factory oil at 3k miles and decided to use a hotshot secret fleet 10w30 engine oil. I ran this oil for 11k miles and send in the oil sample to hotshot oil lab. The results came back critical with many red flags including a very high copper levels. Now this got me really concerned cause im wondering if their oil is junk and I've messed something up - or is it potentially a bigger issue with the truck. Im attaching oil sample results. if anyone has any experience - I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Attachments

• Oil Lab Tests.pdf
    639.4 KB · Views: 34

MikeXM

Reaction score
Huh... interesting. Most likely not the oil but until you know for sure... I'm curious to know where the copper could come from. Worth an email to HSS to have their appreciation since it is their oil.

I just done my first oil change. When it comes to its end, I think I will try a lab like you did.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im not a fan of their report layout, im thinking just from the lack of milage listing on the report that they dont know its a new engine, you will usually have some higher numbers on a fresh engine until the 3-4 oil change

Grayson

Reaction score
I would wait until at the very least 10k before having an oil analysis done.

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score
Huh... interesting. Most likely not the oil but until you know for sure... I'm curious to know where the copper could come from. Worth an email to HSS to have their appreciation since it is their oil.

I just done my first oil change. When it comes to its end, I think I will try a lab like you did.
Yeah I’ll give them a call !
You can order their testing kits on hotshot secret website.

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score
Im not a fan of their report layout, im thinking just from the lack of milage listing on the report that they dont know its a new engine, you will usually have some higher numbers on a fresh engine until the 3-4 oil change
Thx for your response ! Hopefully that improves ! What kind of analysis do you recommend and what kind of engine oil are you using ?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thx for your response ! Hopefully that improves ! What kind of analysis do you recommend and what kind of engine oil are you using ?
Blackstone oil analysis. I run T6 shell 5w40 year round but im in canada so no warm climate here lol

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Almost everyone runs Rotella T6 5W40. Why would you run an unknown oil? It's also more expensive than the Rotella.

Right.... and 10/30? No bueno.

OP.. call Hot Shots ASAP and ask if copper is one of their "secret" additives. Doubtful, but explain your report to them and see what they say.

Copper usually means a main or rod bearing that is worn past the aluminum coating. NOT a good sign but hopefully that is not the case!

Oil pressure is good?

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score

OP.. call Hot Shots ASAP and ask if copper is one of their "secret" additives. Doubtful, but explain your report to them and see what they say.

Copper usually means a main or rod bearing that is worn past the aluminum coating. NOT a good sign but hopefully that is not the case!

Oil pressure is good?
Yep I’ll call them again and ask them all these questions I really hope that since the engine is brand new the test might be inaccurate

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Oil pressure is good?

10W/30 is an approved weight oil.

That said, I wouldn't' use it if towing heavy, even in temperate climes.

Users who are viewing this thread