Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Good point - I have been considering purchasing a receiver shackle adapter and I like your idea of going with a 2x2" for other vehicles and using the adapter for trucks like ours.

And you are correct - zero recovery points and I will not hook to a vehicle unless it has one. People are always friendly when things are good but once things go south the blame game begins.

jsalbre

Reaction score
@ramblinChet

Nice stories as usual. I hate seeing people doing sketchy recoveries and especially when they won't listen to sound advice. Many years ago in my military career I came across some folks trying to recover a flight line forklift from a muddy field with a six-pack and a couple ratchet straps. I was able to convince them not to use the ratchet straps, but then they really didn't want any suggestions from the only guy in the area who had ever recovered a stuck vehicle. I finally left when they got a deuce and a half stuck trying to push the forklift out. Probably didn't help that the guy driving the forklift couldn't wrap his brain around the rear-steering directions and kept turning the wheels to nearly 90*.

Those new Jimnys look great. Too bad we can't get them in the States. When you see them again in MX get a shot of one parked next to your rig. I bet you could park one in the bed with room to spare.

Very insightful on the border question, and a great photo too.

I always keep 2x 2” receiver shackle adapters in my truck with the 2.5-2” reducer because most vehicles have 2” receivers and i can still use it with my truck if needed. A snatch strap is perfect for this type of scenario making recovery easy even if you had a smaller vehicle than the stuck vehicle.

I hate how these new 2wd vehicles have zero recovery points and usually big air dams in the front as well making hook up difficult. Soft shackles are helpful when being creative with attachment points.

I carry a 2.5" Factor55 HitchLink Pro (designed for soft shackles but also works with steel) and an additional 2" receiver shackle adapter in my kit. IT's not just the 2wd. I've recovered some 4x4s without hooks on either end. The lower trim HDs don't come with front hooks standard, and there's not even an option for a rear hook on any of them for some dumb reason. I wish someone would build an adapter. I'd happily cut a hole in my bumper if I could mount two more of our front hooks in the rear. I know the hitch is preferred, but it never hurts to have something bolted on that you can't accidentally leave at home.

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Good point - I have been considering purchasing a receiver shackle adapter and I like your idea of going with a 2x2" for other vehicles and using the adapter for trucks like ours.

And you are correct - zero recovery points and I will not hook to a vehicle unless it has one. People are always friendly when things are good but once things go south the blame game begins.
I understand your stance on it. If I don’t have a good anchor point, I’ll have the person attach their end or something like that.

I don’t mind pulling on your frame or axle because if I yank your axle out of your 97 ranger you can’t catch me anyway :cool:

Kidding aside, I try not to walk away from people I can help with reasonable certainty that we can all make it home safely

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
@ramblinChet

Nice stories as usual. I hate seeing people doing sketchy recoveries and especially when they won't listen to sound advice. Many years ago in my military career I came across some folks trying to recover a flight line forklift from a muddy field with a six-pack and a couple ratchet straps. I was able to convince them not to use the ratchet straps, but then they really didn't want any suggestions from the only guy in the area who had ever recovered a stuck vehicle. I finally left when they got a deuce and a half stuck trying to push the forklift out. Probably didn't help that the guy driving the forklift couldn't wrap his brain around the rear-steering directions and kept turning the wheels to nearly 90*.

Those new Jimnys look great. Too bad we can't get them in the States. When you see them again in MX get a shot of one parked next to your rig. I bet you could park one in the bed with room to spare.

Very insightful on the border question, and a great photo too.

I carry a 2.5" Factor55 HitchLink Pro (designed for soft shackles but also works with steel) and an additional 2" receiver shackle adapter in my kit. IT's not just the 2wd. I've recovered some 4x4s without hooks on either end. The lower trim HDs don't come with front hooks standard, and there's not even an option for a rear hook on any of them for some dumb reason. I wish someone would build an adapter. I'd happily cut a hole in my bumper if I could mount two more of our front hooks in the rear. I know the hitch is preferred, but it never hurts to have something bolted on that you can't accidentally leave at home.
I need that pro model that takes a soft shackle

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Here is another video from Paul that includes my vehicle in it. This is a nice composition so site back and enjoy a few minutes of overlanding with nice music playing in the background:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
This past week has had me enjoying an amazing free camp site south of Zapata, Texas. This free site it nearly one-hundred acres and has maybe fifty dispersed camp sites. You can remain here for an unlimited amount of time and enjoy warm showers, flush toilets, water, dumpster, etc. Many Canadians stay here during the winter months, a few Americans have been here for approximately one year, while most stop in for a few days or weeks as part of their travels. Although it has been consistently in the 90s there is always a strong breeze and the nights have been in the low 70s so sleeping has been perfect.

Good morning from the Rio Grande Valley in Texas.
image000000(91).jpg

Since it has been a few months since I have treated myself to something wonderful I decided to stop in and visit my friend Edgar at Deutsch & Deutsch. After spending an hour plus Edgar excused himself for a moment and returned with something very special they had hidden in the safe.
image000000(93).jpg

Here is a shot from a week later in the same location. I ran into the nearby town of Roma, Texas, to pick up supplies from a local grocery store and stopped for an amazing dinner at Los Molcajetes. With 98% of the people in the county identifying as Hispanic or Latino, I am confident this was an authentic meal. El hombre blanco loco no pudo leer el menú!
image000000(92).jpg

And for all my fellow overland aficionados who only select the finest vehicles and components available, here is a recent video from Dave at American Expedition Vehicles:

Last edited:

b307a1

Reaction score
Since it has been a few months since I have treated myself to something wonderful I decided to stop in and visit my friend Edgar at Deutsch & Deutsch. After spending an hour plus Edgar excused himself for a moment and returned with something very special they had hidden in the safe.
View attachment 54112

Damn Chester now, that's a friend.... They kept her in a safe for you? I sure hope she likes overlanding!

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
I got excited the other day, I was out early and caught a glimpse of a truck camper. I thought could it be? I realized I didn’t have my glasses on and things were a bit blurry. I was at the gas station grabbing a coffee so not fully awake yet. I had a sip, put on some glasses to clear things up then I realized the dream was over. Another day will of come and gone and I hadn’t run across Chet in his travels..

499E4BDE-552F-4B9D-A0D2-29FD9164F6F9.jpeg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Nice build, maybe someday we'll meet up...
JR, what a wonderful surprise to see you here. Yeah, maybe one day we will meet up and share a few trails. Hahaha...

Folks, JR is quite an amazing man. We met at Penn State University back in the early 90s when I watched JR ride a wheelie on his superbike through the middle of the campus. Not long after that we both earned our racing licenses through WERA and began taking trips to various tracks and sharing travel expenses. The stories in that chapter alone are endless.

At the same time we began off-roading. JR had a S10 and I had a Cherokee XJ. Neither vehicle had any lift or lockers, and both had tiny bald street tires. We learned so much and as we began to build and modify vehicles we experimented with everything. Those were the days when the interweb was in it's infancy. Anyone else remember USENET and rec.autos.4x4?

My gosh, Moab several times in the late 90s, each of us building different vehicles (CJs, TJs, XJs, ZJs) for different off-road purposes at different times, so many wonderful memories and many more ahead. Did anyone notice the OEM half-doors on JR's Gladiator? You won't see that anywhere else.

So JR, what brings you to the HD Rams forum? What's your next project brother?

And @b307a1 - is that my JLC or IWC?

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
If you visit Falcon State Park in Texas, you will notice that the lake appears almost gone. If it were at it's high level I would be forty feet under water in the picture. I performed some research and the lake level has varied quite considerably over the years since the early '50s when the damn was constructed. This is the lake where American David Hartley was shot in the head by the Zeta Cartel while riding his jet ski with his wife. The Mexican Police Investigator who was assigned the case was murdered and his head delivered to the Mexican Army in a suitcase.
image000000(94).jpg

Near the border town of San Ygnacio I crossed paths with a man who owned a very cool truck. Despite being three or more decades old this truck was in immaculate condition. While standing and talking about his snakeskin boots and handcrafted cowboy hat he revealed that he has a small collection of a dozen plus trucks that are all old and in beautiful condition. We discussed a wide range of topics and after an hour or so, smiled and said goodbye.
image000000(98).jpg

This is a heart-breaker I came upon while hiking a trail near the Rio Grande River. From what I was able to interpret, this is where a twenty year old girl died, alone. I am not sure what the circumstances were but I spent much time thinking of my children and how blessed I am that they are all alive and kicking. Life is never perfect but when you die, life here on earth is gone forever. I prayed that night for this young lady who was someone's daughter, and hope she is where we all desire to be, in Heaven, enjoying eternal life.
image000000(97).jpg

This is something I have noticed, in many of the food stores here along the southern border, there are large sections of an aisle dedicated to religion. I actually think this is a wonderful fact and have much respect for Latin and Hispanic people. Do you have religious products like this in grocery stores in your area of the country?
image000000(99).jpg

Okay, you are all going to swear I am beginning to transform into a Mexican Vaquero, but I was really enjoying this Mexican music in downtown Laredo, Texas. Maybe it's hereditary since my father owned a matching pair of Ruger Vaquero's back in the day, lol. The band's name was Consuelo Montalvo and they did a great job. The bridge you see was a walking bridge over the Rio Grande River and when it was quiet you could hear vehicles and people over in Mexico. Many happy dancing people by the end of the show.
image000000(95).jpg

When the concert ended at 2200 it was time to locate a place to sleep. Whenever I see a large group of 18-wheelers I know there is a reasonable chance this might be a good place. As I pulled up I noticed a Border Patrol vehicle and after talking for a few moments I was told this place is okay for a night or two. Only one truck ran his engine all night but you know what, when you are tired, you will sleep just fine.
image000000(100).jpg

Here we are once again exploring the southern border and Rio Grande River a bit north of Laredo. Did you know that Laredo was once the capital of the Republic of the Rio Grande? I also enjoy learning interesting history and other facts about the areas I visit. If I had my AEV snorkel I would have challenged the guys to a race across the river. Has anyone ever live-streamed an invasion?
image000000(96).jpg

"I walked forty-seven miles of barbed wire, I got a cobra snake for a necktie. A brand new house on the road side, and it's a-made out of rattlesnake hide. Got a brand new chimney put on top, and it's a-made outta human skull. Come on take a little walk with me baby, and tell me who do you love? Who do you love?" ~ Bo Diddley

Okay, technically this stretch south of El Indio, Texas, was forty-six miles although I believe the song it quite appropriate. This was an interesting exercise in a very hot bumpy ride with everything shaking and rattling. I considered airing down my tires to 15-20 PSI since that has worked wonders previously but I was half way though and was also experimenting with various speeds as surface conditions changed. Have you noticed the curtains drawn in most shots lately? Blocking heat and prying eyes. Even though I do not have much in the rear, folks have suggested this to me. Maybe some heavy tint would be a consideration?
image000000(102).jpg

This is a tight section of the same road. Let's call this Texas-tight, lol. With the exception of many women, most things are huge in Texas and that definately includes the roads. When the road narrows down to 1.5 lanes wide there is seriously something strange going on. Believe it or not, I passed a few 18-wheelers on this road - these guys will go anywhere to save a few minutes since, "speed is time, and time is money."
image000000(103).jpg

Here is an interesting veteran's memorial in Eagle Pass, Texas. Are you beginning to notice all the bird related words? Maybe it's because so many fly though this part of the country during their annual migration? I am no Air Force history dude so I was unable to determine if this was a variant of the P-80 Shooting Star or T-33 trainer since it has two seats. Any experts who are able to clarify? The most interesting thing is that children were climbing all over the monument. There was much damage to it including a bullet hole, broken glass, dents, etc. But despite the repeated attacks, she still looks pretty from a few paces away.

Edit - she's a T-33A trainer based upon this list of displayed aircraft.
image000000(101).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Here is another shot from Eagle Pass, Texas. This is right at the border with Mexico and on the other side of the shipping containers topped with razor wire is the Rio Grande River, and then Mexico. The flag was huge and it looked good slowly blowing in the breeze.
image000000(104).jpg

Near the border I found several open air markets and stopped by a few. It seemed like 75% of the goods being sold are second hand clothes. Nearly everywhere I looked there were tables with piles of clothes on them while some, like this one, had over the counter medicine and makeup available. I paused and compared this to American women shopping in an air-conditioned mall with perfect temperature and humidity, a food court, impressive decorations and lighting, etc. It reminded me of visiting foreign countries when I was in the military and realizing just how good we had in in these United States.
image000000(105).jpg

Here are some friendly prickly pear cactus on a dirt road leading down to the Rio Grande near San Ygnacio, Texas. They are everywhere here and deserve a bit of attention. While researching these tough plants I discovered many interesting things such as the fact that they have been used for centuries by farmers as a natural fence for livestock. Heck, this plant is so common and valuable in so many ways it is even part of the Mexican Coat of Arms.
image000000(106).jpg

This is an interesting one. How many men from North Korea have ever driven an AEV Prospector? My guess is that this was the first time. And yes, I said North Korea, not South. I met this man and spent a few nights sipping hot green tea as the sun settled and the winds kept us cool. We covered a wide range of subjects although we spent most time discussing aviation and aeronautics. No secrets were shared although it was obvious we both had an above average knowledge on the subject and enjoyed talking with each other. After sharing details related to AEV and FWC he asked to take a ride and was beyond amazed at how well this lifted one-ton handled unmaintained dirt and gravel roads.
image000000(109).jpg

Attack of the killer bees! If any of you were old enough to remember the early '90s there was yet another example of our perverted government joining forces with main stream media to terrorize us citizens. Of course, these deadly bees resulted from genetic manipulation by reckless Brazilian scientists during the 1950s. Swarms escaped captivity (are you seeing a pattern?), and within a few decades they reached the southern border at Hidalgo, Texas. No, the bees were not this big and no, they ended up being not that big of a deal. But I recall watching the MSM terrorize mothers during interviews asking how would they be able to protect their children on the playground from swarms of Africanized Killer Bees!!!
image000000(108).jpg

Over the past month I have explored four-hundred miles of the US/Mexico border and have learned so much. Indigenous tribes, Spanish Conquistadors, Catholic religion, the formation of Mexico, the breakaway of the Republic of Texas, its application for annexation to these United States, etc. So much history and culture mixed in with great music and food in this beautiful area. My plan is to visit again during the winter to enjoy the warm weather while exploring and learning even more.
image000000(107).jpg

Yes, every few weeks, or once a month, I spend a single night at a Hilton property. Let the basing begin, lol. Actually, I have several million points that will expire unless I use them so I take great pleasure in very long hot showers, washing clothes, and spectacular internet connectivity. As you can see from this picture, I still must maintain a healthy charge on my house battery which powers my refrigerator. I only place my solar panel out during peak hours and store it in the camper at night. Once I install a few panels up top this will no longer be necessary.
image000000(110).jpg

Here is an example of a king suite at a Hampton Inn. Over the years I have leaned a few tricks from other guys much smarter than myself. I call the concierge service and ask what properties are available in the area that use the fewest points. Normally, this ends up being a Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn. I prefer HGI since it includes a made-to-order breakfast whereas HI are cheap continental breakfasts. If something is available for 20k points, I reserve a room and that's that. When I arrive I always ask for a complimentary upgrade to a king suite and nine times out of ten, my wish is granted.
image000000(111).jpg

Here is a SpaceX photo of Starship, stacked and prepared to launch. That's Ship 24 up top and Super Heavy Booster 07 down below. Folks, if you are anywhere near Brownsville, Texas, and desire to see history taking place, I would encourage you to make your way down here. This really is big news considering this is the largest rocket that has ever lifted off the surface of our Earth. Technically, I am not sure that a larger one is possible - this is pushing the limits and pressing the edge of the envelope. Launch has been targeted for 17 April 2023 but keep in mind, anything is possible. This is the first launch of a vehicle this large and there is always the possibility of a delay.
images-4.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Here are some cool folks I met while camping on Boca Chica Beach in Texas waiting for the SpaceX Starship launch. I don't know about you but I think these old vans are pretty cool. The white was manufactured on a Ford E250 chassis while the blue was built on an E350. Both vans were dirt cheap and in fairly good condition considering their age. The best thing is they are easy to work on and parts are abundant.
image000000(115).jpg

Yeah, I am a space geek, I admit it. Here was a shot taken in the Rocket Garden at night with one ship being prepared to be lifted by a beautiful Liebherr Crawler Crane. Production is moving at a very fast pace down here at SpaceX in Boca Chica Beach, Texas.
image000000(114).jpg

Oh yeah, Ship 24 stacked on top of Super Heavy Booster 07. Note the sun burning hot down below - it's going to be warm down there come Monday when thirty-three SpaceX Raptor liquid methane and liquid oxygen engines light off. Word just came through that the FAA has approved the launch license so it looks like we are go for Monday morning!!!
image000000(120).jpg

Here is a shot from south of the Orbital Launch Tower. Is anyone able to spot Starhopper in the photo?
image000000(121).jpg

Just in case you ever need to check the tide charts at Boca Chica Beach, make sure to include "Texas." Unbeknownst to me, there is also a Boca Chica Beach in the Dominican Republic. In case you are wondering, I remained camping where I was.
image000000(117).jpg

Solar power - some early lessons learned. On a normal sunny day this time of year in Texas, my solar system routinely pulls down 50-60 amp hours. On overcast days it seems 10-20 Ah are still generated. There have been a few rainy days where I have seen 5-10 Ah from my system. I am continuing to track results but we must also consider geographic location and time of year.
image000000(122).jpg

What I love about my system is pulling in 14.4 Vdc for hours at a time during the day. I am still planning to add one or two permanent panels to my roof while keeping this portable system as a secondary option when I park in the shade.
image000000(116).jpg

Prior to owning this solar suitcase I never put that much though into the conditions the system would encounter. Camping on the beach at high tide made me happy that the MC4 connectors were IP67 rated.
image000000(118).jpg

The rainbow symbolizes many things to many people. When I witness a rainbow I smile to recall the original meaning of the rainbow as spoken in Genesis 9:8-17. If you look closely off to the right you can begin to see another secondary rainbow forming which is twice as wide and has the colors reversed. What a beautiful sight to behold!
image000000(112).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Thanks Chet for allowing us to live vicariously through you. Great adventures. Keep ‘em coming! Be safe and go for launch!
You are welcome sir - the pleasure and the privilege is mine. And thanks for joining me on this adventure!

OK men - quick update for today since tomorrow is a very important day. Set your alarms for 0730 EST and log in to the link down below.

This was an interesting opportunity to compare the advancement in transportation that has taken place over four millennia. Yes, man was walking prior to that although it was approximately 2,000 BC that horses began to become domesticated. It was around 1,800 AD when trains came about and then around 1,900 AD for automobiles and shortly thereafter, aircraft. Fifty years later and we began to launch vehicles into outer space. Now we are at a point where we are beginning to launch the largest possible vehicles from earth considering the limitations of materials and propulsion. SpaceX Starship is adding another dimension since they are producing reusable rocket platforms. Can you image the cost of travel if a horse, automobile, or aircraft were only useful for a single trip!?!
image000000(123).jpg

When I travel I enjoy meeting other adventurers to share stories and observe their creations. The owner below had an interesting problem to solve related to deploying his 270° awning at the proper height. He purchased some off-the-shelf parts and built an electrically operated adjustable mount for his awning. Very cool!
Untitled asd.jpg

Nathan from Tennessee pulled up on the beach nearby after dark and as the sun rose the next morning the smiles and talking began. As you can see, he drives a diesel RAM 3500 and pulls a Patriot Camper X1 which is an amazing tow behind from Australia.
image000000(125).jpg

This is the first time camping at a beach with wind so packing up was slightly challenging with the wind blowing in the wrong direction.
image000000(124).jpg

Once the top was packed and covered the rest is quite easy. Here is another example of an awning with adjustable height - this one uses gas charged struts. These camper are nothing short of amazing - every single item had it's place and all were able to compact into a very small and rugged chassis.
image000000(126).jpg

If anyone here is interested in a great show I would suggest setting your alarm for 0700 EST on Monday, 16 April. Wake up and tune in to the live broadcast below. If you are within a few hundred miles, jump in your vehicle and meet us down here, this is going to be one heck of a show:

UglyViking

Reaction score
I've been looking into those patriot campers, specifically the X3, as my wife and I reevaluate how we plan to camp. Currently exploring something like that or a very small (19-21') bunkhouse trailer.

Only hold up for us is potentially having a place for the dogs to be safe and have ac while we do things where they can't come.

Either way, those trailers are amazing and if my kiddos were a little older and we didn't have the dogs it would be a no-brainer.

Interesting to see such a large truck with such a small trailer. Wonder if he also is in the process of downsizing from a larger 5er or uses that for other use, or just really likes duallies.

Users who are viewing this thread