Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Big Booty Dually Adventure Rig Build

CdnHO

Reaction score
Ceramic coat update:

The detailer sent me some photos of how messed up the paint was from the dealer. Lots of swirls, scratches, etc. It's hard to see in the photos, but here's a couple examples:

View attachment 15859

View attachment 15860

He did a full paint correction before applying a Paint Protection Film on the front end, and ceramic coating on the rest of the truck.

Here's a few photos of the progress:

View attachment 15861

View attachment 15862

View attachment 15863
Looking good.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I picked up my truck from ceramic coating and PPF. The detailer did a great job, and it looks amazing.

He also redid the front window tint at 35%, and added 15% tint on the rear windows, over the factory tint.

I also had him remove the small piece of protective film on the dually fenders, and replace it with a larger piece to better protect them. (The factory installs a strangely small piece of film that doesn't protect much).

The paint correction made a HUGE difference. It's hard to capture it in the photos, but the metallic in the paint is really dramatic now, where before I couldn't really see it at all.

20210506_135448.jpg

20210508_165556.jpg

20210506_135417.jpg

When I got home from work the next morning the lighting was a lot better, so I was able to capture how smooth the finish is now... it looks like glassy water on a lake.

20210507_061047.jpg

20210507_070018.jpg

20210507_061223.jpg

SFAngus

Reaction score
I had an appointment yesterday to have my rsi Smart Cap and my carpet kit installed. I spent 6 hours at the shop, only to find out that they couldn't get the cap to fit correctly.

They showed me the paperwork and shipping slip that lists the correct part number, but they believe that rsi put the wrong parts in the box because it was about 4" too long for my Bed.

So, this was as close as I got to my new cap:

Screenshot_20210513-072103_Snapchat.jpg

And now they aren't even showing as available from rsi... they're listed as pre-order only.

Screenshot_20210512-151048_Chrome.jpg

I'm hoping that the shop can work a miracle and get a quick replacement shipped. Until then, I'm back to waiting again.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
How's the big girl doing? You get those front mud flaps installed yet?

SFAngus

Reaction score
How's the big girl doing? You get those front mud flaps installed yet?

Hey there- No, I haven't yet... I've been working 60 hours a week and haven't had time to do anything! Hopefully I can get a few things done this week.

I'm still waiting to hear an update from Custom Truck on the Smart Cap ETA.... so far it sounds like maybe late June.

I also need to take it back to the detailers this week. They said that it needs to go back for a follow-up appointment after a week for them to inspect the PPF and make sure that it is adhering properly. (I'm also going to have them re-do one of the tinted windows that came out with some small artifacts or damage on the film).

SFAngus

Reaction score
Not a very exciting update, but I finally got my license plates transferred and installed. I was waiting for the DMV paperwork to go though, because I transferred my same plates from my prior truck.

It's nice to finally get rid of my temp plate and dealer plate.

Before:

20210527_011809.jpg

20210527_011826.jpg

As usual, I had my helpers with me again. They got to try out my new electric screwdriver for the first time.

20210527_012426.jpg20210527_012506.jpg20210527_012533.jpg

All done:

20210527_011636.jpg20210527_011728.jpg

I promise I'll have something more interesting for the next update.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Teach em young.

My 6 yo grandson likes to help his Papa with projects but then told his Gigi that I don't pay him like she does. I informed him that I was teaching him life lessons and skills that are priceless. If he wants monetary compensation, I would then have to them chargeback my going rate of $250/hr and he would owe me much more than I him. That shut him up pretty quick.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Not a very exciting update, but I finally got my license plates transferred and installed. I was waiting for the DMV paperwork to go though, because I transferred my same plates from my prior truck.

It's nice to finally get rid of my temp plate and dealer plate.

Before:

View attachment 16899

View attachment 16900

As usual, I had my helpers with me again. They got to try out my new electric screwdriver for the first time.

View attachment 16901View attachment 16902View attachment 16903

All done:

View attachment 16904View attachment 16905

I promise I'll have something more interesting for the next update.
Your young lady looks like she takes her work seriously.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
I also aired down the tires a little... I'm going to run it like this for a bit and see how it feels.

View attachment 13624
I ended up with the fronts at 65 and the rears at 40 unloaded. Rides really nice now. Airing down the rears made a huge difference. I used the factory recommended pressures that came with my 2003 dually.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I ended up with the fronts at 65 and the rears at 40 unloaded. Rides really nice now. Airing down the rears made a huge difference. I used the factory recommended pressures that came with my 2003 dually.

Sounds good... I was nervous to go that low in the rears. I occasionally tow a bumper-pull travel trailer, (Nothing too heavy, usually around 8-9k pounds), but I didn't want to air up the rears every time I tow. Do you think 40 psi in the rears would be enough to handle a trailer like that?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Sounds good... I was nervous to go that low in the rears. I occasionally tow a bumper-pull travel trailer, (Nothing too heavy, usually around 8-9k pounds), but I didn't want to air up the rears every time I tow. Do you think 40 psi in the rears would be enough to handle a trailer like that?

At 65 I could tell that the duals were contacting the road only in the centers of the treads. That indicates over inflation. According to my scale results and load inflation tables I could have gone down to 35 psi. When scaled I had my 30K fifth wheel hitch installed, probably 200 pounds of stuff in the bed and a full 50 gallon fuel tank. Given the weight of that Airstream, I would think that 40 psi would be fine. However, keeping them at 45 psi could be a good compromise if you feel uncomfortable with 40. Personally I would try 40 and watch the wear pattern. I love the way it rides with 40 in back. I am sure this is in part due to the air suspension. Way nicer than my 2003 dually. In fact two passengers have commented on the nice ride. My 2012 Accord doesn't ride as good. I only tow my heavy fifth wheel trailer three times a year so that airing the tires as needed is no big deal.

SFAngus

Reaction score
At 65 I could tell that the duals were contacting the road only in the centers of the treads. That indicates over inflation. According to my scale results and load inflation tables I could have gone down to 35 psi. When scaled I had my 30K fifth wheel hitch installed, probably 200 pounds of stuff in the bed and a full 50 gallon fuel tank. Given the weight of that Airstream, I would think that 40 psi would be fine. However, keeping them at 45 psi could be a good compromise if you feel uncomfortable with 40. Personally I would try 40 and watch the wear pattern. I love the way it rides with 40 in back. I am sure this is in part due to the air suspension. Way nicer than my 2003 dually. In fact two passengers have commented on the nice ride. My 2012 Accord doesn't ride as good. I only tow my heavy fifth wheel trailer three times a year so that airing the tires as needed is no big deal.

Thanks for the tip, that all makes sense. I may drop it and see how it feels. It definitely still rides pretty stiff right now. Worst case, I can always air them back up, I just don't want to be adjusting the pressure frequently. And, I'm never going to be towing a 5th wheel, so it's not going to have a significant amount of weight over the rear axle.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, that all makes sense. I may drop it and see how it feels. It definitely still rides pretty stiff right now. Worst case, I can always air them back up, I just don't want to be adjusting the pressure frequently. And, I'm never going to be towing a 5th wheel, so it's not going to have a significant amount of weight over the rear axle.
I really think you will be fine at 40. I you have any concern, next time you have that trailer hooked up, run some heavy chaulk likes across the treads. Drive a couple of miles and see if the chaulk lines rub off evenly. The difference between 65 and 40 was absolutely amazing. You and your three girls will really appreciate it.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I really think you will be fine at 40. I you have any concern, next time you have that trailer hooked up, run some heavy chaulk likes across the treads. Drive a couple of miles and see if the chaulk lines rub off evenly. The difference between 65 and 40 was absolutely amazing. You and your three girls will really appreciate it.

Great tip, thanks!

SFAngus

Reaction score
Rsi update:

I got a call from the installer today. The updated arrival for my Smart Cap is mid July now, with the drop rack arriving a month later. Pretty frustrating, since I ordered it in March and was originally told April.

I'm hoping that rsi can ramp up production and get them out sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread