Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Big Booty Dually Adventure Rig Build

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Back on the road today... heading south to another campground in Santa Cruz.

View attachment 14665
Nothing sweeter than a Ram MegaCab towing an Airstream. Damn, but I am right there with you brother. What year and model is that Classic. I have a 2020 International Serenity 30 RB Twin. All booked up for Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Black Hills and the Bad Lands. Last week of July and first week of August. Thinking of heading down to the Top of Georgia later this month or early next month. Got to say that it just doesn't get much better than this. With that dually it has got to be one of the best towing experiences ever. What speed do you cruse at on the interstate? Hope to meet you one of these days. Airstreams are awesome!

Last edited:

SFAngus

Reaction score
Nothing sweeter than a Ram MegaCab towing an Airstream. Damn, but I am right there with you brother. What year and model is that Classic. I have a 2020 International Serenity 30 RB Twin. All booked up for Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Black Hills and the Bad Lands. Last week of July and first week of August. Thinking of heading down to the Top of Georgia later this month or early next month. Got to say that it just doesn't get much better than this. With that dually it has got to be one of the best towing experiences ever. What speed do you cruse at on the interstate? Hope to meet you one of these days. Airstreams are awesome!
This is a 2007 25FB Classic. (Just a rental). I really want a 30FB Bunk, but they're about $110k, so... we'll see.

This thing has been amazing to tow with... I love it! I was cruising down Highway 1 today and looked down and realized that I was doing 75 without trying, so I backed off a bit. I've been keeping it around 75 on the freeway, but Highway 1 was a 55 zone, so I keep it around 60-65.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Enjoy!

Last edited:

SFAngus

Reaction score
I'm wondering what setting you had your pedal monster set at when pulling the camper? Did it help when starting out on a hill or pulling uphill (more throttle to pull uphill)?

I initially put it to stock when I first picked up the trailer because I didn't want the throttle inputs to be too abrupt, but I quickly turned it back up.

I've been cruising with it on Sport, level 4, which seems good. Still a little aggressive, but not so much that it jerks the trailer from launch.

RossT

Reaction score
Your rig looks great! Glad to see I'm not the only guy pulling a bumper pull travel trailer with a dually... :D

SFAngus

Reaction score
Alright... here's some long overdue updates:

1). I reached out to the RSI dealer. (Custom truck in Redwood City) because it has more been over a month since I ordered my smartcap. They said that they have the carpet kit and the smartcap now, but they are still waiting on the drop rack. They're going to try to get an ETA for the rack, so I can decide if I want to wait to have them install everything at once, or go ahead with what they have ready now.

2). After removing my dealer installed mudflaps I liked the way the truck looked without them, but I figured that I should probably have the protection of something on there. I researched a few different options and settled on the Weathertechs because they seemed like a good compromise. Big enough to provide some protection, but small enough to be subtle and not tacky.

I shopped around on a bunch of websites, but couldn't find any for 2021 trucks. I went to the Weathertech website directly, and even they it stated 2021 was not yet available. I figured that the 2021 fitment can't be that different from 2020, so I took an educated guess and ordered the 2020 set, both front and rear.

Part Number: 110109-120116

20210403_160136.jpg20210404_105338.jpg

20210404_105350.jpg

They arrived, and they seem to fit just fine, confirming my suspicions. The fronts look like they will clear the power steps with no issue.

I got the rears installed with only one issue. One if the factory plastic screws that needs to be removed would NOT come out. It came out fine on the driver's side, but for some reason it wouldn't budge on the passenger side. I finally removed it, but destroyed it in the process. (These pieces are removed and replaced with new metal hardware from Weathertech, so I wasn't too worried about it, but still annoying).

20210403_162722.jpg

After that small hangup I got both rear flaps on, and I'm happy with how they look.

I started to install the fronts, but got as far as mocking them up and stopped. They come with a funny little piece of plastic to act as a paint protection film, and it doesn't seem to fit properly. This reminded me however that I should just wait to install them because I'm having a paint protection film installed on the front of the truck soon anyway, so they would probably have to take off the front mudflaps during that process.

So, for now I'm running with just the rears, and I will install the fronts after my film is on.

Here's how they look installed:

20210415_115901.jpg

20210403_163119.jpg20210403_163109.jpg20210403_163115.jpg20210404_101409.jpg

Last edited:

RossT

Reaction score
I like the weather tech a lot. I have the gator backs sitting in my shop, considering selling them and getting the weather tech. Again, your truck looks great!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
I installed my WeatherTech mudflaps on the front and rear and they fit great. Moulded around the truck's trim. Not obvious but big enough to provide protection. Cleared the power steps with a couple of inches to spare. And I thought the price was reasonable as well. I am finding that most websites don't have the fitment listed for 2021 so I usually go to 2020 MY and everything so far has worked out.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I forgot to post this during my last trip...

When I picked up the Airstream, the owner told me that he had forgotten to charge the drill for the stabilizer jacks.

So, I got to put the 110v outlet in the bed to use. I set up the charger before we left, kept the outlet on while we were driving, and by the time we got to the campsite it was charged up. I love functional features like this that are useful and make life easier.

20210407_153313.jpg

McHenry2500

Reaction score

When I picked up the Airstream, the owner told me that he had forgotten to charge the drill for the stabilizer jacks.

So, I got to put the 110v outlet in the bed to use. I set up the charger before we left, kept the outlet on while we were driving, and by the time we got to the campsite it was charged up. I love functional features like this that are useful and make life easier.

View attachment 15252
Did you add the 110V in the bed or was that factory installed?

CdnHO

Reaction score

View attachment 15252
Dang, I like that. I can put the one in the back seat to use for that as well.

Last edited:

SFAngus

Reaction score
20210423_200659.jpg

What's wrong with this picture...

Got in my truck to drive to work tonight, and noticed that one of the tires was reading "0." At first I thought it must just be a faulty reading, so I drove for a few blocks to see if it would self correct. When it didn't, I stopped to check the tire, and sure enough, it was flat with a nail in the tread.

Now the question is, do I use this as an excuse to go ahead and upgrade to 255/80R17 tires, or do I just get it repaired with a plug?

Reason #3 to drive a dually... you can have a flat tire and still drive home.

CdnHO

Reaction score
View attachment 15337

What's wrong with this picture...

Got in my truck to drive to work tonight, and noticed that one of the tires was reading "0." At first I thought it must just be a faulty reading, so I drove for a few blocks to see if it would self correct. When it didn't, I stopped to check the tire, and sure enough, it was flat with a nail in the tread.

Now the question is, do I use this as an excuse to go ahead and upgrade to 255/80R17 tires, or do I just get it repaired with a plug?

Reason #3 to drive a dually... you can have a flat tire and still drive home.
If you are going to do the upgrade anyway, do it now while you can still get something for the old tires. I guess it also depends on what your original upgrade plan was. Too bad the duallies don't use a TPMS system like the SW trucks.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I decided to wait on the tire upgrade, and get some mileage out of the stock tires before I ditch them.

$45 later, my tire is plugged and I'm back on the road.

This was the culprit:

20210426_084012.jpg

I picked up the truck from the tire shop, and took it straight to my appointment at the detailer's.

It will be there for the next week getting a paint protection film on the front end, and ceramic coating everywhere else.

I'm also having them replace the front window tint that the dealer did a ****ty job on, as well as adding darker tint in the back windows.

Can't wait to get it back!

SFAngus

Reaction score
I've been procrastinating on writing up my electronics/radio install, but in the meantime, I edited the first post on this thread with a list of modifications, including part numbers where applicable, so that anyone who is looking to purchase something that they see here will have an easier time finding it. I will continue to edit the list on the first post as I add more modifications, in order to keep everything organized in one place.

SFAngus

Reaction score
Ceramic coat update:

The detailer sent me some photos of how messed up the paint was from the dealer. Lots of swirls, scratches, etc. It's hard to see in the photos, but here's a couple examples:

20210507_031226.jpg

20210507_031153.jpg

He did a full paint correction before applying a Paint Protection Film on the front end, and ceramic coating on the rest of the truck.

Here's a few photos of the progress:

20210507_031441.jpg

20210507_031459.jpg

20210507_031513.jpg

CdnHO

Reaction score
I also aired down the tires a little... I'm going to run it like this for a bit and see how it feels.

View attachment 13624
I have been experimenting with pressures for the past 600 miles. I ended up with 65 in front and 40 in the rear for an unloaded truck. (Truck is a RWD so fronts will be a bit higher for a 4WD) At 65 rear only the center of the tires were contacting the pavement. At 40 contact is even across and rides nice as well. Whe I put the fiver on it I will go with the door sticker.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread