Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 HO timing cover leak -14,000 miles

Reaction score
Well looks like my Thursday evening just took a major poo poo all over everything. Was under the truck looking to see if anything was loose in the steering, have a funky feeling whenever I go over bumps. Did not expect to find a timing cover leak though. Oil level looks fine, so I'm not sure how old this is or if it was just a cork during break-in, but the timing on this sucks (pun not intended).

Anyone else dealt with this? Going to try to take it to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say, I've got to leave town and move my RV to a job site, if I can't get it done now hopefully sometime in the 3 weeks of my rotation it'll get taken care of. Although with everything going on, I'm not sure how long it would be to get parts.PXL_20211021_223606614.jpg

Reaction score
That's my thoughts, either a seal, or an out of spec timing cover. Just hope nothing stupid like backordered parts or a mechanic screw up doesn't make the amount of time to complete worse.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we had the exact same problem on our 2019 3500 dually HO. Started occasionally dripping a little bit of oil in my parking spot in fall of 2020, and didn't think much about it. First RV trip this spring was a different story. Got to our destination to see the front edge of our 5th wheel coated in oil. It would drip while driving & fly back, coating the underside of the truck & front of the 5th wheel. Ended up topping off the oil, which was about 4 quarts low at that point. Got back home & got it completely covered under warranty. Apparently, the timing cover bolts were not torqued properly at the factory, and the outside seal started leaking & the inside seal completely fell off & was inside the timing chain compartment. 3 weeks at the dealer later, completely fixed, along with a shattered back sliding window from a window seal water leak that shorted out the defrost (also covered under warranty). Don't do what I did waiting - make sure you get it covered under warranty ASAP.

Attachments

• RV2.jpg
    RV2.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we had the exact same problem on our 2019 3500 dually HO. Started occasionally dripping a little bit of oil in my parking spot in fall of 2020, and didn't think much about it. First RV trip this spring was a different story. Got to our destination to see the front edge of our 5th wheel coated in oil. It would drip while driving & fly back, coating the underside of the truck & front of the 5th wheel. Ended up topping off the oil, which was about 4 quarts low at that point. Got back home & got it completely covered under warranty. Apparently, the timing cover bolts were not torqued properly at the factory, and the outside seal started leaking & the inside seal completely fell off & was inside the timing chain compartment. 3 weeks at the dealer later, completely fixed, along with a shattered back sliding window from a window seal water leak that shorted out the defrost (also covered under warranty). Don't do what I did waiting - make sure you get it covered under warranty ASAP.

Yikes!!!!! I've looked, and so far I've seen nothing on the ground where I park. I have no idea how long this was going on, but when I saw it last night, the truck was cold, and oil level was exactly at the top full mark, having gotten an oil and fuel filter service about a month ago or so. I couldnt get it on a lift today, so I'm going back Monday morning to see if the dealership can tell me anything about where its coming from or see if any of the bolts are loose. I have to move my RV a 100 miles from here on Thursday next week for work, and if I cant well I just kissed a 9 month work contract good bye, so I'm hoping its something that can wait until after I get set up and can drop it off local to the job site.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
That is awful, sorry to hear.

Put a socket on the accessible timing cover bolts and maybe give them another 20-30 degrees or so.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
9,400 miles on mine.

My 04.5 5.9L HO had 72K and 16 years on it and never leaked a drop of oil or fluid.

This had to have been present when it was serviced last, why they didn't catch this on their "100 point inspection" or whatever they claim they do is beyond me.

20211023_131300.jpg

20211023_131242.jpg

20211023_131233.jpg

Reaction score
9,400 miles on mine.

My 04.5 5.9L HO had 72K and 16 years on it and never leaked a drop of oil or fluid.

This had to have been present when it was serviced last, why they didn't catch this on their "100 point inspection" or whatever they claim they do is beyond me.

View attachment 24095

View attachment 24096

View attachment 24097

Oh damn. You take yours in yet? Mine hasn't progressed since I took that photo, but my work schedule has kinda hosed me on getting into dealers

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh damn. You take yours in yet? Mine hasn't progressed since I took that photo, but my work schedule has kinda hosed me on getting into dealers

Not yet.

Busy with work and travel next week.

I'm hesitant to make an appt another 2 weeks out with our next hunting trip coming up in 3 weeks. It's not dripping oil so it can wait until after the hunt.

superjoe83

Reaction score
If its not dripping on the ground I doubt they will warranty it, seepage is considered "normal"

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
nothing yet. I havent been able to arrange an appointment to get a loaner/rental, and two dealerships are telling me to take it up with @RamCares to get one, they arent going to help. Luckily I've had a work truck to use, and the little driving done has shown no change in oil levels, so who knows.
Greetings,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Ram Cares

BeanPole

Reaction score
Good Evening!

I took my 2019 3500 HO in on Thursday for the CP4 Fuel Pump recall swap. I asked the service man during scheduling last week to please check for an oil leak that started the week prior.
I only noticed it when I was changing my fuel filters two weeks ago, and I saw oil spots on the undercarriage all the way back, and glanced up front and seen spots on the floor. I thought it was leaking from the oil pan gasket, since oil was covering the lip and some bolts, but I was advised today prior to scheduled pickup time that they had traced the leak to this same issue you guys are speaking of. I was told that the inner timing chain gasket was the cause, and it was a full two day job to complete due to it being labor intensive to even get to. So, I am told I should have it back by mid week; so, we will see. I haven't had any issues till now, and it has 67,000 miles on it.
Certainly glad to have seen this forum, and understand more of what the service guys was telling me. This connected the dots for me. Thanks!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not yet.

Busy with work and travel next week.

I'm hesitant to make an appt another 2 weeks out with our next hunting trip coming up in 3 weeks. It's not dripping oil so it can wait until after the hunt.

FYI, I had my fixed when they did the Y78 recall early June 22.

Seems to be fine since.

OR1ton2020

Reaction score
Took my 2020 3500 in for the fuel pump recall and mention there appears to be an oil leak. I noticed it after my last oil change last summer (Aug 2022) but thought maybe it was the breather tube. But I had never seen my Ram drip any oil, even after towing. So, fast forward 6 months, they said today it was indeed an oil leak and they said it was the timing cover. The dealer said it was labor intensive (2-3 day fix) and covered under warranty but that the part was on back order. Has everyone had good luck post repair? My truck currently has 21k miles and I noticed the leak at around 15k miles.

Jackmayhoffer

Reaction score
Vancouver island, british columbia, canada
Well looks like my Thursday evening just took a major poo poo all over everything. Was under the truck looking to see if anything was loose in the steering, have a funky feeling whenever I go over bumps. Did not expect to find a timing cover leak though. Oil level looks fine, so I'm not sure how old this is or if it was just a cork during break-in, but the timing on this sucks (pun not intended).

Anyone else dealt with this? Going to try to take it to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say, I've got to leave town and move my RV to a job site, if I can't get it done now hopefully sometime in the 3 weeks of my rotation it'll get taken care of. Although with everything going on, I'm not sure how long it would be to get parts.View attachment 23971
My 19 h.o is in for same reason. Descent leak behind timing cover inner gasket. They pull the cab off to get at it. This is currently my truck. Covered under warranty....just. would be gross to pay for this one.

Attachments

• 20230728_104029.jpg
    20230728_104029.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230728_104325.jpg
    20230728_104325.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230728_104328.jpg
    20230728_104328.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 52

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 19 h.o is in for same reason. Descent leak behind timing cover inner gasket. They pull the cab off to get at it. This is currently my truck. Covered under warranty....just. would be gross to pay for this one.
Just wait till you see them pull the cam to get the timing case off to change the gasket!

Idk why they dont have a removeable cam gear still after all these years or atleast clearence the timing case so it can be removed with the cam in place

flan

Reaction score
At least they didn’t blame the leak on your deletes. That’s a pretty decent dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread