Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Fuel Economy, am I lower than expected?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Actually, I think your MPG depends on your right foot only.
I've run 87 and 91 in mine with no difference in MPG.

But I have run at different speeds and got different MPG.

I get better MPG running 65 than I do running 80.
70 ish seems to be a good compromise for MPG.

I got 16 MPG once. But I was running under 65 for the majority of the trip. Lots of slow traffic.

I'm usually around 13.5 to 14 on the highway.

jadmt

Reaction score
Actually, I think your MPG depends on your right foot only.
I've run 87 and 91 in mine with no difference in MPG.

But I have run at different speeds and got different MPG.

I get better MPG running 65 than I do running 80.
70 ish seems to be a good compromise for MPG.

I got 16 MPG once. But I was running under 65 for the majority of the trip. Lots of slow traffic.

I'm usually around 13.5 to 14 on the highway.
yes I have found the right foot is directly connected to the gas guage needle. the harder and faster you push on the gas the faster the needle moves towards E

mudnyeri

Reaction score
Did you buy the PW for gas mileage? Both of my Power Wagons have never seen a gas station they don't want to visit.

As others have said these trucks aren't areodyamic. The more accessories you put on them the worse the mileage is.

I saw improvement with the 37s over 35s but if I see 13-14 on the highway I am happy.

12 in the city I am estatic

9-10 while towing the Airstream is normal.

You buy a PW to go off-road. When off-road you don't care about mileage if you cary a spare gas can

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Been debating on going up to 37s . I have 35x12.5x20 now . I thought i'd see a little better on the top end.

JALOPYJUNK

Reaction score
When my truck was new I was getting 11 mpg in town. Around 3500 miles the mileage went down to 6 to 7 mpg and had a rough idle at times. At 4423 miles I put the truck in the shop to have it checked out. They found that a roller on one of the lifters had seized and took out the cam. They replaced the long block. The truck still has a rough idle at times and city mileage is still 6 to 7. I baby this truck. Highway mileage is still 16 to 18. These mileage readings are all from the " Lie - O - Meter. I don't believe it would be that much different if I hand calculated it. I get around 60 miles per 1/4 of a tank. it has a 31 gallon tank. It is a 6.4 Hemi, 4wd, with 3.73's. The only modification to the truck is new tires. The new tires are basically the same size and weight. The Firestone Transforce AT's had to go. The Coopers are not any more aggressive than the OEM's. I run 87 octane Exxon. I am about to put the truck back in the shop for this problem and some other small issues. The strangest think happened yesterday. I stopped to fill up yesterday. When I left the station which sets on a corner and had to stop for a red light. When I stopped for the light it was showing 2.2 mpg. When the light turned green it was showing 7.4 mpg. I started to just stay there. This is my second one of trucks that I have bought this year. The end of February I bought an identical truck to what I have now. Six days later and less than 500 miles it was totaled out. Never be traveling down a 2 lane highway at 70 mph and get hit right at head on by an 18 wheeler that came in my lane. I do credit the Ram for saving my life. My truck skidded down the highway on its side and then rolled 3 times. EMS and the highway patrol could not believe that I was alive.

Last edited:

JE_75PW

Reaction score
When my truck was new I was getting 11 mpg in town. Around 3500 miles the mileage went down to 6 to 7 mpg and had a rough idle at times. At 4423 miles I put the truck in the shop to have it checked out. They found that a roller on one of the lifters had seized and took out the cam. They replaced the long block. The truck still has a rough idle at times and city mileage is still 6 to 7. I baby this truck. Highway mileage is still 16 to 18. These mileage readings are all from the " Lie - O - Meter. I don't believe it would be that much different if I hand calculated it. I get around 60 miles per 1/4 of a tank. it has a 31 gallon tank. It is a 6.4 Hemi, 4wd, with 3.73's. The only modification to the truck is new tires. The new tires are basically the same size and weight. The Firestone Transforce AT's had to go. The Coopers are not any more aggressive than the OEM's. I run 87 octane Exxon. I am about to put the truck back in the shop for this problem and some other small issues. The strangest think happened yesterday. I stopped to fill up yesterday. When I left the station which sets on a corner and had to stop for a red light. When I stopped for the light it was showing 2.2 mpg. When the light turned green it was showing 7.4 mpg. I started to just stay there. This is my second one of trucks that I have bought this year. The end of February I bought an identical truck to what I have now. Six days later and less than 500 miles it was totaled out. Never be traveling down a 2 lane highway at 70 mph and get hit right at head on by an 18 wheeler that came in my lane. I do credit the Ram for saving my life. My truck skidded down the highway on its side and then rolled 3 times. EMS and the highway patrol could not believe that I was alive.
WOW! Great that you got out of that one, and good to know that the engineering for these trucks actually works. That had to hurt tho.

For the fuel millage, i'm on par with you. No engine noise yet, but i did the first oil change at 1100 miles and now at 5000. hoping that helps prevent any issues.

- I tried 89 octane for 3 full tanks. did not see any difference in fuel economy. I didnt look for performance, im not red lining or hauling anything.

lowest so far is 5.9 mpg - that is with a lot of idling. We are just coming out of a cold snap, it was a consistent -40 for the last 3 weeks. take out the idling and it about 7.

Driving style, i would call it normal, keep up with traffic - truck normally shift between 2000-2500 rpms.

I do have a squeaky exhaust.

JALOPYJUNK

Reaction score
WOW! Great that you got out of that one, and good to know that the engineering for these trucks actually works. That had to hurt tho.

For the fuel millage, i'm on par with you. No engine noise yet, but i did the first oil change at 1100 miles and now at 5000. hoping that helps prevent any issues.

- I tried 89 octane for 3 full tanks. did not see any difference in fuel economy. I didnt look for performance, im not red lining or hauling anything.

lowest so far is 5.9 mpg - that is with a lot of idling. We are just coming out of a cold snap, it was a consistent -40 for the last 3 weeks. take out the idling and it about 7.

Driving style, i would call it normal, keep up with traffic - truck normally shift between 2000-2500 rpms.

I do have a squeaky exhaust.
I have also tried the 89 octane fuel. I drive mine like an old lady with very little idle time.

Users who are viewing this thread