Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 2500 Hemi low/high battery lights, truck shut off completely on hwy.

BigRed2021

Reaction score
Need a little Ram advise /help here, 4 month old truck low/high battery lights. Truck just shut off completely while towing, in and out of dealer 4 times. Multiple codes and dealer in contact with FCA, can`t duplicate issues with lots of troubleshooting and STAR ticket started on issues . Ram Care involved, truck`s last visit was in the shop for 3 weeks troubleshooting these issues no fault found but multiple codes. Anyone heard of this out there?

Linked4door

Reaction score
Would need quite a bit more info to help. Do you know what the codes are? What happened when it shut off (did the motor cut off or electronics go out first)?

The only trucks I have come across in the shop with cutting off while towing were either fuel related or wiring related (trailer wirng shorted out, and melted the trucks harness)

BigRed2021

Reaction score
P0600,P0800,P0a00,P0caa, P0563 i have had a low /high battery light, voltage was dropping from 14v to 11v when i pulled over and shut off truck. When you start back up all is normal and voltage is ok. When truck shut off completely, we were going about 5 to 10 miles an hour on freeway pulling our RV. Accident slowed us down then my truck just shut off ,whole truck. No dash, steering , brakes etc, no power]. I managed to get to the side pumping gas peddle. Shut it off and all came back normal. Drove all weekend then on way back home high battery light came on , voltage was 14v. truck has been in and out of shop multiple times no fault found. Last time battery light came on and truck slowed itself down and was shuddering like bad cylinder. Dealer pulled multiple codes on that one, still can`t find issue and neither can FCA. Codes P0622 , B210E-17 34 total. But can`t find issue really. Hate to vent but it`s getting old.

Linked4door

Reaction score
P0600,P0800,P0a00,P0caa, P0563 i have had a low /high battery light, voltage was dropping from 14v to 11v when i pulled over and shut off truck. When you start back up all is normal and voltage is ok. When truck shut off completely, we were going about 5 to 10 miles an hour on freeway pulling our RV. Accident slowed us down then my truck just shut off ,whole truck. No dash, steering , brakes etc, no power]. I managed to get to the side pumping gas peddle. Shut it off and all came back normal. Drove all weekend then on way back home high battery light came on , voltage was 14v. truck has been in and out of shop multiple times no fault found. Last time battery light came on and truck slowed itself down and was shuddering like bad cylinder. Dealer pulled multiple codes on that one, still can`t find issue and neither can FCA. Codes P0622 , B210E-17 34 total. But can`t find issue really. Hate to vent but it`s getting old.
Completely understand the venting man, that sounds like a nightmare.

Hope you can find a competent shop to diagnose it. Freeze frame data would really help if you are taking to different dealers. I would have them save the freeze frame data with precancerous and request it either email to you or printed out. So it can be shared with the next shop. I am sure some will tell you it can't be done, but I do it daily with my Witech.

If it was my truck, the first thing I would do would be to look very closely ate the 7way connector (trailer and vehicle side) on the truck. Could be a coincidence it happened when towing, but ya never know.

After that I would take a look at the wirning underneath the truck for any visual damage. Next would be the fun part of pulling wiring schematics.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a factory ground bolt is loose somewhere , These have several all over the truck and should be the first thing the dealer checks in my experience. Had a chevy years ago with similar problems and that was what the dealer found ,

BigRed2021

Reaction score
Dealer has been checking all grounds , this high and low battery codes happened with out trailer connected as well. Make no sense, brand new truck with these issues. I can`t be the only one out there with this issue?.

jadmt

Reaction score
not sure but I had to have the alternator and battery replaced on my 2020 PW at like 9 or 10 months old.

BigRed2021

Reaction score
2021 Ram 2500 update, after 5 weeks at dealer they are replacing the PCM. Will see if that is the fix, my third cutomer care person is playing phone tag with me. Covid and i might get back in 5 days really, this site should also help those with issues as well as those with good things they have with there new Ram.

tcoon10428

Reaction score
2021 Ram 2500 update, after 5 weeks at dealer they are replacing the PCM. Will see if that is the fix, my third cutomer care person is playing phone tag with me. Covid and i might get back in 5 days really, this site should also help those with issues as well as those with good things they have with there new Ram.
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel w/25k on it , just one day wouldn't start, put battery charger on it and it started but wouldn't start later that day. Dealer changed both batteries. No issues for about 2 months. Now low voltage now and then(9.0v) while driving. Everything shuts off inside. Shut truck off, jump start, all is good for a week or two, then low voltage 11.5v driving down the road, 4-5 min then it goes back to 14.4v ?? Today it wouldn't start at lunch, just out of the blue, no start, just click, call tow and two hours later he gets there and the truck starts up fine ?? At the dealer's now. Did your issue get fixed to date ? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread