Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 2500 68RFE slipping on shift??

Ram911

Reaction score
I seem to get some slipping just before shifting gears. I believe its more noticeable on 3rd or 4th gear. The RPMs move up about 2 lines on the tach and you can feel the slip. It does shift in smooth after but just doesnt seem right and will probably cause wear.

I have read some threads on this and some say normal and some say its an issue. Anyone experience this?

Edited: to add the truck has 2800 miles on it

thanks

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a shift "flare" because the TC is unlocking between shifts then locking again.

I think what you're experiencing isn't a slip before shift, but rather an unlocked shift up, then TC lockup. If you're watching the gear display, it lags.

Ram911

Reaction score
There's a shift "flare" because the TC is unlocking between shifts then locking again.

I think what you're experiencing isn't a slip before shift, but rather an unlocked shift up, then TC lockup. If you're watching the gear display, it lags.
Are you saying this is normal and nothing to worry about?

What you explain sounds like what I am experiencing. I just never had this happen in any other Truck/car I have owned or never noticed it.

Thank You

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

What you explain sounds like what I am experiencing. I just never had this happen in any other Truck/car I have owned or never noticed it.

Thank You
When you get in to HD vehicles you cant compare them to “any other Truck/Car” Your trans is shifting perfectly as designed it unlocks the TC then shifts then relocks the TC

MtnRider

Reaction score

Thank You

It's normal for that truck/transmission combo....

Ram911

Reaction score
Thank You for the valid info. I found this in the manual which explains what I noticed.

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH​

A feature designed to improve fuel economy has been included in the automatic transmission on your vehicle. A clutch within the torque converter engages automatically at calibrated speeds. This may result in a slightly different feeling or response during normal operation in the upper gears. When the vehicle speed drops or during some accelerations, the clutch automatically disengages.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank You for the valid info. I found this in the manual which explains what I noticed.

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH​

A feature designed to improve fuel economy has been included in the automatic transmission on your vehicle. A clutch within the torque converter engages automatically at calibrated speeds. This may result in a slightly different feeling or response during normal operation in the upper gears. When the vehicle speed drops or during some accelerations, the clutch automatically disengages.

That's the "lockup."

All modern autos have a lockup TC, it's just felt more in your RAM. There may be some torque management contributing to that as well. I know on the Aisin the torque management (reduction) is significant during shifts to protect the trans.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
This thread just made my day - I've been feeling the same thing, and wondering if it's normal.

I love what I learn on this forum. Thank y'all.

dhall5483

Reaction score
I just got my 2021 2500 and with the same mileage is feeling the same thing with the transmission so I assume it the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread