Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Stock hitch receiver height?

REYoungJr

Reaction score
Does anyone know, or can measure and share, the hitch receiver height on a stock 2020 Power Wagon?

I have a new Power Wagon on order. It was actually built 2 weeks ago and released from the plant today with an August 3rd to the 17th delivery estimate.

I would like to get a hitch on order for my utility trailer so I am ready to go when the truck arrives, but have no idea how much drop I need.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
My PW finally arrived last Thursday. The stock hitch height on level ground is 26 inches. The below picture shows my unloaded hitch height, measure at the top of the receiver, with the larger 35" Nitto tires I had installed on Saturday.

Since the new 35" tires are 2" larger than the stock 33" tires, I subtracted half the difference in tire diameters from the measured height of 27" to get what the stock height would be with the stock 33" tires.

Hitch Height with 35in Tires.jpg

REYoungJr

Reaction score
I do not have any pics of the truck with a hitch & trailer. I only have a small utility trailer I used with my Jeep at this point in time. I traded the Jeep for the PW so I can get a Travel Trailer. The Jeep could only tow 3,500 lbs and that limited us to mostly popup campers, which we have owned and want to upgrade from with our next camper.

I will try to get a pic of the truck with the utility trailer attached this weekend. I purchased an 11" drop hitch with a 2" shank before the truck came in hoping that would be enough drop for the utility trailer, with it's 12" tongue height. But with the 27" hitch height, even with the adapter and 11" drop hitch, it looks like it may still be 3.75" too high. Guess it will depend what I am hauling in the trailer and how much the tongue weight makes the PW squat. Not sure this weekend's dump run is going to do much with regard to squatting on the PW though.

Here is a pick of the truck with the 35" tires without any trailer.
2020 Power Wagon with 35in Nitto Tires and Black Lug Nuts - 1.jpg

REYoungJr

Reaction score
I finally managed to get my spare back under the truck. The trick was not a straight lift as that does not fit, it hits the track bar above the axle and the back of the receiver. And there was no forcing it between those 2 points. What I found that did work was to lift the front of it above the track bar first and then lift the back up into place behind the receiver. Once in place it is a very tight fit between the back of the receiver, the inside of the frame on the driver's side, and the heat shield in the front and right side.

With it up as high as it will go it is 2 1/2" lower in the back than the front. With only about an inch of space between the top of the track bar and the bottom of the tire. Going to be close as to whether or not the track bar will clear the spare with maximum articulation of the LR tire stuffed fully into the wheel well.

The weight of the spare tire has dropped the rear of the truck a 1/2", putting the stock hitch height at 25 1/2" now.

Last edited:

REYoungJr

Reaction score
Here is a pick of the truck with my utility trailer loaded for the dump. Unfortunately, I did not notice it was not fully level when I took the pic. I did not notice until I looked at the pic on the computer that the trailer looks level, due to it being higher up than the truck in the parking lot I took the pic at. In my level driveway the trailer loaded was still at least 2" high in the front. My driveway is just too close to the house to get far enough away to take a pic of the truck and trailer together. This will have to do for now.

Power Wagon with Utility Trailer.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a pick of the truck with my utility trailer loaded for the dump. Unfortunately, I did not notice it was not fully level when I took the pic. I did not notice until I looked at the pic on the computer that the trailer looks level, due to it being higher up than the truck in the parking lot I took the pic at. In my level driveway the trailer loaded was still at least 2" high in the front. My driveway is just too close to the house to get far enough away to take a pic of the truck and trailer together. This will have to do for now.

Adjustable drop hitch?

Tongue low is better than high, but probably doesn't matter on that light trailer and a 3/4T truck. I'm also a fan of tilt wheeled tongue jacks. Those pad jacks are a PITA.

jadmt

Reaction score
My PW finally arrived last Thursday. The stock hitch height on level ground is 26 inches. The below picture shows my unloaded hitch height, measure at the top of the receiver, with the larger 35" Nitto tires I had installed on Saturday.

Since the new 35" tires are 2" larger than the stock 33" tires, I subtracted half the difference in tire diameters from the measured height of 27" to get what the stock height would be with the stock 33" tires.

View attachment 6861
I just measured my 2020 PW totally stock and it is 22" to the bottom of the receiver. Seems likes yours is much higher even taking in to account the 35's.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
Here is an updated pic with my utility trailer on flat pavement. The 11" drop hitch works out perfectly with my utility trailer front loaded.
Truck with Utility Trailer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread