Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 2500 6.4L - Loud tick even after lifter replacement at 19K miles

sbpetro

Reaction score
Hello HDRAMS,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual" I've turned to you great people to help me out.

1. Is there an issue with my engine?
or
2. I'm hearing noises that are "normal" for a RAM 6.4L hemi

Thanks for your input

YouTube Video of engine noise:

UPDATE:

The regional FCA representative had my dealership add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to quit the engine noise. This is what it sounds like now. NO IMPROVEMENT. Now FCA is dragging it's feet on what to do next. Come on FCA...fix my engine!!!

Please help me out HD RAM forum members. Blow this up so FCA takes notice!

Last edited:

b307a1

Reaction score
Hello HDRAMS,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual" I've turned you you great people to help me out.

or

Thanks for your input

OH BABY! I have 2 6.4's and haven't heard that kind of racket.

I would find another dealership to take it to because it doesn't look like you are going to get any farther with the one you have been dealing with.

spyderhawk

Reaction score
I am taking mine in for the same thing. I have a 2021 3500 and it has 6500 miles on it. This noise is not normal it's a metal on metal sound. I will let you know my outcome going to the dealership next week.

Riddick

Reaction score
No Bueno my friend, I hope they take care of you. You definitely have something going on within the rotating assembly and have metal on metal contact.

flan

Reaction score
A forum user had a similar noise and posted about it approx 6 months ago. He ended up with a new crate engine.

JALOPYJUNK

Reaction score
Hello HDRAMS,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual" I've turned to you great people to help me out.

or

Thanks for your input

UPDATE:

The regional FCA representative had my dealership add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to quit the engine noise. This is what it sounds like now. NO IMPROVEMENT. Now FCA is dragging it's feet on what to do next. Come on FCA...fix my engine!!!

Please help me out HD RAM forum members. Blow this up so FCA takes notice!

They replaced my engine at 4400 miles. Still has rough idle. Getting 7.5 miles per gallon mixed driving and still has lack of power.

spyderhawk

Reaction score
I am taking mine in for the same thing. I have a 2021 3500 and it has 6500 miles on it. This noise is not normal it's a metal on metal sound. I will let you know my outcome going to the dealership next week.
I took it to the dealer and I was told it was normal. They had one on the lot with 30 thousand miles started it up and had the same noise. So no solutions

areuriding

Reaction score
Known issue that's hit or miss. I believe I saw a youtube video of some guy complaining about the same. He switched to 5W30 and it took care of it. He shows a before and after and you could hear the difference.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not normal at all the dealer is retarded if they think thats “normal” also Lucas elephant snot wont help a bad part

RamConvert0

Reaction score
mine does the same thing.

But I cannot hear it in the cabin (Doors Closed) or feel it in the pedal.

so am I okay?

sbpetro

Reaction score
mine does the same thing.

But I cannot hear it in the cabin (Doors Closed) or feel it in the pedal.

so am I okay?
Sorry to hear that. I couldn't hear mine in-cab either unless the windows were down.

Update: At just under 30K miles the engine finally broke apart ( silver colored oil ). FCA replaced the motor. So nice of f them after deeling with this BS for almost 2 years.

dmhines

Reaction score
According to RAM ticking is only normal at initial startup. Not while running.

sbpetro

Reaction score
The ticking noise they refer to is the exhaust manifold studs issues. It's a small exhaust leak that closes when it gets hot and the most goes away. The lifter tick noise is NOT normal. It's caused by dry lifters without oil. It's a design flaw they refuse to acknowledge. If it is lifters expect problems in the long run.

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Hi Friends - threw some lubegard (bio?) in there and is actually worked to shut that small tick up.

Im waiting for some pup oil to arrive and then ill probably swap it out and send an oil sample to that blackstone labs place? Im just really curious - if it comes back GOOD then im officially calling ******** on this entire ticking nonsense.

but maybe it wont. We will see.

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Not normal at all the dealer is retarded if they think thats “normal” also Lucas elephant snot wont help a bad part
Almost made the lucas oil mistake - the lubegard was surprising however. And I only used the 15oz (I think I need 21oz officially 3oz x 7l)

It made everything run very nicely

Ocxd

Reaction score
21 with 20k here and mine has done this for a while. Only when the engine is cold. Goes away generally after about a mile. Only low RPM. Just figured its a 6.4 thing.

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Yeah. Thats probably the exhaust manifold ticking

Which mine turned out to be lol not really worried about it but I wonder...

WILL AFTERMARKET HEADERS PREVENT THE BOLTS FROM BREAKING? or will they break and tick anyway lol

Gmotoring

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I couldn't hear mine in-cab either unless the windows were down.

Update: At just under 30K miles the engine finally broke apart ( silver colored oil ). FCA replaced the motor. So nice of f them after deeling with this BS for almost 2 years.
thanks for the update, Just bought a used 2021 with 26K miles, will keep eye out , thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread