Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 2500 6.4L - Lifter replacement at 19K miles - Update

sbpetro

Reaction score
UPDATE:

The regional FCA representative had my dealership add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to quit the engine noise. This is what it sounds like now. NO IMPROVEMENT. Now FCA is dragging it's feet on what to do next. Come on FCA...fix my engine!!!

Please help me out HD RAM forum members. Blow this up so FCA takes notice!

Hello HDRAMS,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual" I've turned to you great people to help me out.

1. Is there an issue with my engine?
or
2. I'm hearing noises that are "normal" for a RAM 6.4L hemi

Thanks for your input

YouTube Video of engine noise:

flan

Reaction score
That sounds terrible.

Mikee

Reaction score
UPDATE:

The regional FCA representative had my dealership add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to quit the engine noise. This is what it sounds like now. NO IMPROVEMENT. Now FCA is dragging it's feet on what to do next. Come on FCA...fix my engine!!!

Hello HDRAMS,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual" I've turned to you great people to help me out.

or
2. I'm hearing noises that are "normal" for a RAM 6.4L hemi

Thanks for your input

Wow,sounds like a lifter,or even a cam bearing, if the dealership knows about it an you have paperwork say such from dealership id keep that handy,would try some marvel mistrey oil in oil an see if it clears up hopefully you are using the correct grade oil in engine.. goodluck...

exiledinaz

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Hello HDRAMS,

or
2. I'm hearing noises that are "normal" for a RAM 6.4L hemil

Thanks for your input

Sounds like a collasped lifter or stuck lifter as we called them back in the day. I had a 429 Cadillac that had one stuck lifter. Old mechanic who worked at the 76 gas station told me to put a pint of transmission fluid in the engine. Sure enough it cleared up in no time... However, your truck is not a old Cadillac and still under warranty.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Not a normal sound at all. 9k on mine and nothing like that.

jerome32

Reaction score
@jerome32 is this what your engine sounded like before FCA replaced it?
No mine was different. It wouldn’t rattle at first then started after the truck warmed up and got louder as the truck got warmer. My truck had an assembly defect. The oil squirters that cool the pistons had fallen out and as the pistons got hot the rattled in the cylinder, basically I had extreme piston slap. Also apparently the cylinder temps got so hot it cooked some valves. I got the same go around at first with Ram saying it was normal. I asked them why doesn’t my 2019 scat pack make this noise then. I think I got lucky cause I took it back to another dealership and they said it wasn’t normal but Ram told them to return the truck to me and wait for it to fail. That when I contacted Ram cares and took it to another dealership and they changed the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread