Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 PW bigger tire question

sawman556

Reaction score
So I put 285/75R17's on my new 2020 PW. My dealer doesn't seem to know how to update the VIN or whatever to get the speedometer and odometer correct. Who knows about this so I can explain it to my dealer? Thanks.

@JC

Reaction score
Yeah that's because dealers can't update that setting with their software any more. You can do it with one of the 3rd party tools.

sawman556

Reaction score
Yeah that's because dealers can't update that setting with their software any more. You can do it with one of the 3rd party tools.

Well that's a bummer. I don't care much about the speed since its ONLY LIKE 2 mph A 70. I'm more concerned with the odometer. I guess I'll start researching the 3rd party tools.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
This is the one both JC and I used. https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90019.html It works and the company is great to deal with. But there are a few little things to be aware of, the first is why I know first hand they are great to deal with.

When connecting up the power/USB cable, make sure you use the USB port in the center console, not either of the 2 on the lower dash below the touchscreen. The ones below the touchscreen have both data and power, which is what you want for connecting a phone for Apple Car Play, but not for the programmer. When using the data USB ports on the lower dash the programmer just sits there communicating with the truck and never moves to the calibration prompts. Using the center console, power only USB, allows the programmer to work correctly.

The other thing to be aware of is the cable you need to connect up under the dash to get around the new security on the OBDII connector is a little challenging to get in. Due to the location and fitting a hand up in there. The connector slides right in and back out easily, but can be a bear to reach to do so.

Lastly, their website states in the title for the programmer it works on our year and model, 2500, of truck, but in the fitment section further down it says it only works on 1500. It does work on the 2500 and they will confirm this if you speak with them.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For that kind of money for a dedicated single use tool, why wouldn't you just get setup with AlfaOBD?

REYoungJr

Reaction score
For that kind of money for a dedicated single use tool, why wouldn't you just get setup with AlfaOBD?
I looked at them, but considering they only support 2017 and older vehicles and only run on Windows and Android platforms, made me think they were a dated product that is not being actively updated or supported.

Another concern for me was the fact there is no physical address or phone number to contact them listed anywhere on their very dated looking website.

I prefer to support legitimate US based businesses. As stated in my original post, the product I used came with great support that was only a phone call away, even on a Saturday. Good luck with that with the AlfaOBD product.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at them, but considering they only support 2017 and older vehicles and only run on Windows and Android platforms, made me think they were a dated product that is not being actively updated or supported.

Another concern for me was the fact there is no physical address or phone number to contact them listed anywhere on their very dated looking website.

I prefer to support legitimate US based businesses. As stated in my original post, the product I used came with great support that was only a phone call away, even on a Saturday. Good luck with that with the AlfaOBD product.

Why would you say they only support 2017 and older? AlfaOBD is continuously supported and frequently updated. There are several heavy users that have direct access to the developer. Do you have after hours telephone support for any app on a mobile platform?

Do you think the bulk of that RC product isn't Chicom sourced? I'm all for supporting US manufacturing, but be realistic.

SMH.

jupp0r

Reaction score

I used AlfaOBD two weeks ago to change TPMS thresholds and tire sizes on my 2020 Power Wagon. I ran into a small problem with a newer Windows version and support was stellar. I got a fixed version a fee hours after writing them an email.

sawman556

Reaction score
This is the one both JC and I used. https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90019.html It works and the company is great to deal with. But there are a few little things to be aware of, the first is why I know first hand they are great to deal with.

When connecting up the power/USB cable, make sure you use the USB port in the center console, not either of the 2 on the lower dash below the touchscreen. The ones below the touchscreen have both data and power, which is what you want for connecting a phone for Apple Car Play, but not for the programmer. When using the data USB ports on the lower dash the programmer just sits there communicating with the truck and never moves to the calibration prompts. Using the center console, power only USB, allows the programmer to work correctly.

The other thing to be aware of is the cable you need to connect up under the dash to get around the new security on the OBDII connector is a little challenging to get in. Due to the location and fitting a hand up in there. The connector slides right in and back out easily, but can be a bear to reach to do so.

Lastly, their website states in the title for the programmer it works on our year and model, 2500, of truck, but in the fitment section further down it says it only works on 1500. It does work on the 2500 and they will confirm this if you speak with them.

Thanks. I'll put this on my list of options.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
I used AlfaOBD two weeks ago to change TPMS thresholds and tire sizes on my 2020 Power Wagon. I ran into a small problem with a newer Windows version and support was stellar. I got a fixed version a fee hours after writing them an email.

Definitely sounds like they support far more makes, models and years then their website indicates. You clearly have first hand information that shows they do, unfortunately there is not a lot of information stating that on their own website.

Why would you say they only support 2017 and older? AlfaOBD is continuously supported and frequently updated. There are several heavy users that have direct access to the developer. Do you have after hours telephone support for any app on a mobile platform?

If members on here have access to their developers, they should suggest they spend a little time on web development, as I'm sure I am not the only potential customer they have lost due to outdated or missing information on their website. Would also be worth suggesting adding company contact information like an address and phone number, if they are a legit company that stands behind their product and its use.

This is not simply a standalone mobile application, like a game, that if it does not work, no biggie, it does not impact anything other than the application itself. If it was, worst case you delete it and forget about the $1 or $2 you spent on it. This is an application that modifies the settings of a very expensive vehicle, that the manufacturer intentionally did not give you access to, that worst case could damage the vehicle or void its warranty.

I really like AlfaOBD's capabilities and the price. If I did not have a warranty to consider, it was from a well known company, or their company seemed a little more legit, I would have likely tried their product. Glad that it is working well for others that have used it.

Do you think the bulk of that RC product isn't Chicom sourced? I'm all for supporting US manufacturing, but be realistic.

I was just more comfortable using a product from a well known US company. Regardless of where their product's manufactured, their name is on it, they stand behind it, and they support it. For me, that piece of mind was worth the additional cost and why I chose to use Rough Country's product over the AlfaOBD.

HeliNomad

Reaction score
AEV told me that they stopped selling the unit for the Power Wagon stating that there was a problem with the calibration with the transmission. I too used the RoughCountry one with my 2020 Power Wagon and it worked just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Good to now about the RC unit. I have mine left over from my 2019 1500 that I'll use on the PW once I go 35" in a few weeks.

jadmt

Reaction score
AEV told me that they stopped selling the unit for the Power Wagon stating that there was a problem with the calibration with the transmission. I too used the RoughCountry one with my 2020 Power Wagon and it worked just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I actually took my rig to AEV so they could try it. they had not actually had a 2020 pw to try in person so they wanted to run some tests. Worked great on mine. The person who invented the pro cal was the one who was running the tests and my guess it won't be long and the issue will be fixed. It was not with the transmission but a communications programming issue.

Last edited:

HeliNomad

Reaction score
I actually took my rig to AEV so they could try it. they had not actually had a 2020 pw to try in person so they wanted to run some tests. Worked great on mine. The person who invented the pro cal was the one who was running the tests and my guess it won't be long and the issue will be fixed. It was not with the transmission but a communications programming issue.

Oh that’s great! Thanks for the inside scoop. Any benefit over the RoughCountry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jadmt

Reaction score
I believe the AEV unit also allows you to set the TPMS warning light threshold.
yes but only certain amounts. the following is from the snap instructions.
The Procal Snap for RAM can only set values of 35, 45, 60, 65, 80, 95psi, trying to set a number in between will round up to the next approved value.*

REYoungJr

Reaction score
I used the AEV ProCal with my 2013 10A Jeep Rubicon and it worked great. It was a nice handheld unit that had a cable that plugged directly into the OBDII connector, with a number of settings you could change along with the Speedometer and TPMS settings. It also had no limit on the TPMS set point as I had set mine to 10psi to allow airing down on the beach without the warning light coming on. I used it to also increase the time the headlights would stay on after locking the Jeep and adjusted for the larger tires I ran on it. High quality product I recommended to many other Jeep owners during the 7+ years I owned the Jeep and used that product.

I also personally installed one of their full suspension lifts on my Jeep and was equally impressed with its quality and performance. So the following comments below come from a fan and 7+ year user of AEV's products.

The new ProCal Snap seemed way too hooky for me to consider spending money on and using on my PW. Not sure why AEV decided to move away from a well designed product like the original ProCal and moving to one that has such a cumbersome user interface and horrible programming experience. At least based on the user guide they had for it online, I have not actually used their Snap product.

If AEV decides to move to a mobile application that supports Apple and Android OS to use for the user interface for the Snap, then I might reconsider their Snap product. This is what Curt's Better Weigh product uses, which I own and use on the PW, and is a nice way to avoid having an expensive hardware user interface component while maintaining a user friendly interface and programming experience.

Or if they decide to update and bring back the original ProCal to support the newer PW, I would gladly pay for and use that product, again.

JHD1827

Reaction score
I just used the Snap on my PW to calibrate speed and TPMS. I have also used ProCal on my JK for the same plus gears and transfer case changes.

While both are easy to use I think the Snap on the PW is much easier. Values are set using the stereo equalizer (3 values) then programed by pressing the brake and a given button on the steering wheel. Horn honks, change values, press brake and a different steering wheel button. I did tire size and TPMS in a matter of seconds.

While not in anyway difficult with the JK I had to pull the ProCal, set 9 tiny individual dipsticks, double check I had them all correct, then plug it back in. Remove and repeat.. I much happier with how the Snap works on my PW.

@JC

Reaction score
I thought about getting that but seriously they can't just build the box with a tiny led readout and a couple of soft buttons to use for programming? That's pretty lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread