Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 GMC Sierra hd

Nate4x4

Reaction score
source.gif

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Won't beat the Cummins... I have been chasing these GM trucks for awhile... they are trying to play a game of catch up. Ram has had their re-engineered Ram Heavy Duty prototypes testing a lot longer and have put a lot more on the road getting the results they wanted compared to GM trucks.

1548272239434.png

1548272303382.png

1548272396143.png

1548272495723.png

I can say that even though I am happy GM will be building these trucks in Michigan, while the Ram Heavy Dutys are still built in Mexico until 2022. These are ugly looking trucks. The step in the bed is just stupid. Its all plastic. Where the Ram team went back to the 4th generation which was a good truck to begin with a completely revamped it and re-engineered it. It keeps what people liked about the 4th generation and brings it up to 5th generation levels. These GM Heavy Duty trucks are all new cabs and sheet metal that everyone hates. Not only that, but it has the same lackluster interior as the 1500 models which is terrible. The 2015 Ford F-150 interiors look more up to date than the new GM interiors.

Everything on these trucks are plastic. Plastic fender arches, steps, the mirrors come out of the body. The GM design team is a mess right now and their sales show it. There is no doubt GM builds some of the best gas powertrains, but the 6.4-liter HEMI (BGE) is a great powertrain too. With GMs 10-speed autos... when the heck is this thing going to get into 10th gear. NEVER. The Chrysler 200 with a 9-speed automatic hardly ever went into 9th gear. Its more working parts, more shifting and for towing, its not something I would want.

So while people may say the new Ram Heavy Duty is just a refresh, they lead the class in towing, horsepower, torque, interior, technology, options, luxury, and build quality over these GM trucks.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy, if that is indeed the case. maybe it's just me, but that sounds hardly heavy duty to me.

How can they consider it to be an "HD" truck? Plastic?

Not everything... I mean like the wheel arches, the step in the box, the bumper steps... it looks cheap

Nate4x4

Reaction score
Not everything... I mean like the wheel arches, the step in the box, the bumper steps... it looks cheap
Still unlike Ram...even when it comes to customer satisfaction.

GM doesn't seem to want to put much effort into their trucks. It's quite disappointing to be open. Ram will always be my pick forever.

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
Won't beat the Cummins... I have been chasing these GM trucks for awhile... they are trying to play a game of catch up. Ram has had their re-engineered Ram Heavy Duty prototypes testing a lot longer and have put a lot more on the road getting the results they wanted compared to GM trucks.

View attachment 17

View attachment 18

View attachment 19

View attachment 20

I can say that even though I am happy GM will be building these trucks in Michigan, while the Ram Heavy Dutys are still built in Mexico until 2022. These are ugly looking trucks. The step in the bed is just stupid. Its all plastic. Where the Ram team went back to the 4th generation which was a good truck to begin with a completely revamped it and re-engineered it. It keeps what people liked about the 4th generation and brings it up to 5th generation levels. These GM Heavy Duty trucks are all new cabs and sheet metal that everyone hates. Not only that, but it has the same lackluster interior as the 1500 models which is terrible. The 2015 Ford F-150 interiors look more up to date than the new GM interiors.

Everything on these trucks are plastic. Plastic fender arches, steps, the mirrors come out of the body. The GM design team is a mess right now and their sales show it. There is no doubt GM builds some of the best gas powertrains, but the 6.4-liter HEMI (BGE) is a great powertrain too. With GMs 10-speed autos... when the heck is this thing going to get into 10th gear. NEVER. The Chrysler 200 with a 9-speed automatic hardly ever went into 9th gear. Its more working parts, more shifting and for towing, its not something I would want.

So while people may say the new Ram Heavy Duty is just a refresh, they lead the class in towing, horsepower, torque, interior, technology, options, luxury, and build quality over these GM trucks.
While I agree with a lot of what you say, this is a bit harsh and over the top. May want to check horsepower numbers again. IMO, the GM interior is better than Ford (for whatever reason it works for me), though not anywhere near Ram. And comments on the 10 speed are a bit premature. Honestly the 10 speed is the reason I’m not 100% set on Ram this summer. For looks, my first impression of the Silverado HD was very poor. I had the same first impression of the Silverado 1500. Now that I’ve seen it in the wild a few times, my opinion has changed and I think it’s one of the sharpest looking trucks out. Long story short, competition is great. Maybe good enough to help tame the crazy prices in the future.

Kahuna Cowboy

Reaction score
I really like the new 2020 GMC myself... Aside from the overuse of plastic mentioned above. It is a tad much when $60k+ HD trucks feature flimsy cheap plastic handles, knobs, and dash/exterior accessories. But the look and stance is mean and all business.

The Silverado is the worst of the bunch looks wise. Good lord it's hideous, I was a Chevy man for decades.....

Ford still looks tough and off-roady, but Ford abuses plastic even worse than GM. I have had 2 Fords, both had tons of minor problems I either had to live with, or endlessly have the dealership try to fix just for it go out again a few weeks later....

The 2020 Ram has the most going for it, at least for me.... But the sticking with the 6-speed AISIN is really going to be the weak point for it. I was really hoping for 8. GM this year is going to 10.

Not that efficiency and MPG is the biggest deal on HD trucks, but they don't need anything else working against them in this department either. No way around it, sticking with the 6-speed when your competition is at 8 and 10, Ram will have the worst MPG of the bunch. Other than that, I can't see anywhere else it's giving up anything to the other brands.

D

Deleted member 80

Just google duramax broken crankshaft, and read a while. Even on stock trucks. For what other engine can you buy a camshaft with an alternative firing order to try to keep the crank from breaking???

Users who are viewing this thread