Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 2500 8 speed transmission issues

DDRam1500/2020

Reaction score
My truck has 2500 miles on it and I’m having transmission shifting issues. Intermittently when I attempt to accelerate the truck downshifts and revs to 3000 to 4000 rpm and refuses to shift or gain mph. I’ve had it happen with the trans temp cold and at operating temp. It’s happened getting on the interstate and I was almost ran off the road due to not being able to accelerate. I’ve brought it to the dealer and they said they seen nothing. I figured before I begin the back and forth I’d see if anyone else has had issues. If so have they been resolved and do you have any suggestions? I love the truck but this issue alone makes me wish I never traded in my F150.
Mine has often been slow to get out of first gear from a cold start. Recently at 15,000 miles it has twice locked in first gear, with high engine rpms after driving an hour. Dealership couldn’t replicate the issue and no codes.
Last week 16,000 miles from a cold start it did the same and wouldn’t switch to second. This time it had the check engine line for most of the day. All three times I turned the engine off and after restarting it drove normally.
Today the dealership identified the code as a first gear problem and scheduled for repair on November 23rd. The earliest appointment.
Will see if it gets resolved.
My 4th RAM.
1999 transmission problem
2002 differential problem
2012 no problem
2020 transmission problem

mp1va

Reaction score
My truck has 2500 miles on it and I’m having transmission shifting issues. Intermittently when I attempt to accelerate the truck downshifts and revs to 3000 to 4000 rpm and refuses to shift or gain mph. I’ve had it happen with the trans temp cold and at operating temp. It’s happened getting on the interstate and I was almost ran off the road due to not being able to accelerate. I’ve brought it to the dealer and they said they seen nothing. I figured before I begin the back and forth I’d see if anyone else has had issues. If so have they been resolved and do you have any suggestions? I love the truck but this issue alone makes me wish I never traded in my F150.
We have been having this same issue with out 2020 2500 Hemi and have it has been back to the dealer several times with no problems found. Like other is gets stuck in 4th gear and have to pull of the road to turn off the truck. It goes back to the dealer tomorrow again because now the transmission has a growling noise that starts around 35mph until 45/50 mph, there is also some small vibration with it. We love the truck however we never know when it is going to do this. The dealer says that there are no reports of any transmission problems. I called FCA last week and to discuss the issues. There is now a case number assigned to the truck. the problem has never happened when we are in tow mode with our travel trailer. I think it is time to put together a class action suit with the transmission issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
We have been having this same issue with out 2020 2500 Hemi and have it has been back to the dealer several times with no problems found. Like other is gets stuck in 4th gear and have to pull of the road to turn off the truck. It goes back to the dealer tomorrow again because now the transmission has a growling noise that starts around 35mph until 45/50 mph, there is also some small vibration with it. We love the truck however we never know when it is going to do this. The dealer says that there are no reports of any transmission problems. I called FCA last week and to discuss the issues. There is now a case number assigned to the truck. the problem has never happened when we are in tow mode with our travel trailer. I think it is time to put together a class action suit with the transmission issue.

Class action for a sample size of what, 3?

LOL

There is no widespread issue with the ZF8HP75 trans. "Stuck" in gear on a software controlled trans is a software or valve body issue. VB is not rebuildable and must be replaced if defective.

The Hellcat and Demon cars run them (8HP90), the new 1075HP 1000lb.ft Demon has one (modified 8HP90) behind it. The TRX uses an 8HP95. The ZF 8 speed is considered one of the finest 8-speed trans available and used in many brands including Audi, Bentley, BMW, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I'd respond to this but Brutal already summed it up perfectly. You got one bad egg out of millions.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey there,

We would love to see what additional assistance can be offered for your case. If you'd like some extra help, please reach out to us via direct messaging with your case number.

Callie
Ram Cares

mp1va

Reaction score

mp1va

Reaction score
Our 2020 2500 was at the dealership and after a ride with the shop foreman, he came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the transmission. The transmission, lines, and cooler all had to be replaced. They did find some metal in the oil after they drop the pan. After 5 weeks it is back together and appears to work okay however there might be some air in the oil because on the way home from the dealership it would sometimes shift hard. We are delaying any trips with our trailer for a month or two just to make sure.

martineztony58974

Reaction score
We are having a similar problem on a 2020 RAM 2500 Cummins w/ 68RFE. Dealer wants to "rebuild" the transmission. This new truck has 8,000 miles on it and we too had the same experience. Intermittent rough shifting getting more common until it went into protection mode and limited the speed to 60mph at 3,000 rpm. Will not shift into the higher gears. So is this truly a tranny issue or a wacky fuel pump issue?

Never towed with this truck....yet. This is getting in my head. Is this a reliable truck or not? Pretty irritated with RAM at the moment. Did I fail to mention its broke down 10 hours away from home...with a 3~4 week wait.
I have a 2021 ram 2500 6.4, had it three days and had issues. Been at the dealership for four months. Spent me a new tranny, guess what it was worse then my old one. Slips in muiltpe gears now and still there. Decided to trade it in and they wanted me to eat a 10k loss. I lost my **** in the dealership waiting to see what happens tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread