Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 2500 8 speed transmission issues

Cormierben40

Reaction score
My truck has 2500 miles on it and I’m having transmission shifting issues. Intermittently when I attempt to accelerate the truck downshifts and revs to 3000 to 4000 rpm and refuses to shift or gain mph. I’ve had it happen with the trans temp cold and at operating temp. It’s happened getting on the interstate and I was almost ran off the road due to not being able to accelerate. I’ve brought it to the dealer and they said they seen nothing. I figured before I begin the back and forth I’d see if anyone else has had issues. If so have they been resolved and do you have any suggestions? I love the truck but this issue alone makes me wish I never traded in my F150.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your issue, but that's the first I've heard of a problem like that with these trucks. The

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Could it be a mds issue? I see they couldn’t replicate. Please keep us posted. I am not a fan of mds in a truck built for work. I purposely avoided ford due to start-stop and avoided gas rams due to mds. I wish we could get simple trucks that work.

D

Deleted member 80

I remember seeing a post somewhere of a ZF trans doing wacky stuff, but don't remember the specifics.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
My truck has 2500 miles on it and I’m having transmission shifting issues. Intermittently when I attempt to accelerate the truck downshifts and revs to 3000 to 4000 rpm and refuses to shift or gain mph. I’ve had it happen with the trans temp cold and at operating temp. It’s happened getting on the interstate and I was almost ran off the road due to not being able to accelerate. I’ve brought it to the dealer and they said they seen nothing. I figured before I begin the back and forth I’d see if anyone else has had issues. If so have they been resolved and do you have any suggestions? I love the truck but this issue alone makes me wish I never traded in my F150.

Thank you for the tag, @Brutal_HO!

I apologize for the trouble, @Cormierben40. If you are willing to follow up with us via private message to provide additional details regarding your dealer visit on this, we are more than willing to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Cormierben40

Reaction score
Update.
Another round at the dealer this time They kept the truck a couple days. The truck was acting up terribly when I called to set up an appointment and then when I bring it in nothing. So, once again they couldn’t find anything going on. I’ve only driven it a few miles since picking it up and so far so good. I don’t expect the truck to be fixed since they found nothing wrong. I also don’t like not knowing if or when it’s going to act up again.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Update.
Another round at the dealer this time They kept the truck a couple days. The truck was acting up terribly when I called to set up an appointment and then when I bring it in nothing. So, once again they couldn’t find anything going on. I’ve only driven it a few miles since picking it up and so far so good. I don’t expect the truck to be fixed since they found nothing wrong. I also don’t like not knowing if or when it’s going to act up again.

Thank you for following up to share this update. If you experience further trouble, please do not hesitate to follow up as we always more than willing to escalate your situation for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Squatch

Reaction score
My 8 spd seems to always be in exactly the right spot and takes off alarmingly quick when you stomp on it, so I would say there is something wrong with yours for sure. If you can reliably make it happen see if you can get one of those guys to ride with you and show them what it does!

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I have only experienced one problem with my transmission. Last month when going through the Smokey mountains (was not towing at the time) I was using the gear limiter to control my downhill speed. For some reason the gearing seemed to get "stuck" in 4th gear. Changing the limiter or turning the limiter off did not do anything. I had to pull to the side and turn off the truck. Once I restarted, no problem. I did try the limiter again the following day, similar situation, but had no problem. For now I view it as a one off.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only experienced one problem with my transmission. Last month when going through the Smokey mountains (was not towing at the time) I was using the gear limiter to control my downhill speed. For some reason the gearing seemed to get "stuck" in 4th gear. Changing the limiter or turning the limiter off did not do anything. I had to pull to the side and turn off the truck. Once I restarted, no problem. I did try the limiter again the following day, similar situation, but had no problem. For now I view it as a one off.
CTL-ALT-DEL

Cormierben40

Reaction score
Update...
Brought truck to dealer for a 3rd time. This time the truck got locked into 3rd gear which from what I read is a fail safe. The check engine light was also on. The dealer at first said they were going to replace the trans and then later decided to replace only the valve body. I picked up the truck after having the valve body replaced and after driving roughly 30 miles the issue returned. I already spoke to the dealer and the truck will be going back in Monday morning. I am almost certain this is a 1 off case given the fact that I can find no info from anyone having the same issue.

Bagsboxers

Reaction score
We are having a similar issue with our 2020 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi. Was your issue resolved?

Cormierben40

Reaction score
We are having a similar issue with our 2020 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi. Was your issue resolved?
Yes after several rounds at the dealer they decided to replace the fuel pump and I believe a few other fuel related parts which resolved the issue I was skeptical at first but I’ve been 3k miles now without an issue

Bagsboxers

Reaction score
Can you message us which dealership worked on your truck? I sent you a direct message. Thanks!

Hallsweb

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 Hemi just started doing the same thing last week. It has happened twice now. Have you had any more issues since they replaced the fuel pump?

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Cormierben40

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 Hemi just started doing the same thing last week. It has happened twice now. Have you had any more issues since they replaced the fuel pump?

None whatsoever the truck has ran perfectly since

Bagsboxers

Reaction score

We had our fuel pump replaced last month and so far, so good!!!

LithiumPros

Reaction score

We are having a similar problem on a 2020 RAM 2500 Cummins w/ 68RFE. Dealer wants to "rebuild" the transmission. This new truck has 8,000 miles on it and we too had the same experience. Intermittent rough shifting getting more common until it went into protection mode and limited the speed to 60mph at 3,000 rpm. Will not shift into the higher gears. So is this truly a tranny issue or a wacky fuel pump issue?

Never towed with this truck....yet. This is getting in my head. Is this a reliable truck or not? Pretty irritated with RAM at the moment. Did I fail to mention its broke down 10 hours away from home...with a 3~4 week wait.

Bagsboxers

Reaction score
We’ve not had the issue happen again since replacing the fuel pump and we do heavy towing.

Users who are viewing this thread